SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

• 3 weeks later...

Another offer to a Dodge City Community College Juco. Khalil Poteat, 6'5", 260 lb, DE/DT. Other offers include North Texas, Eastern Michigan, Temple and Grambling. I see the other guy UND offered Alexandre Dedieu also has an offer from Grambling.

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

Another offer to a Dodge City Community College Juco. Khalil Poteat, 6'5", 260 lb, DE/DT. Other offers include North Texas, Eastern Michigan, Temple and Grambling. I see the other guy UND offered Alexandre Dedieu also has an offer from Grambling.

Good thing Louisiana-Monroe isn't one of them. :silly:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Offer out to North Eastern Oklahoma, Montre Samuels-Parker, 6', 270 lbs, DT. Other offers are Mississippi valley state and Alcorn State.

Finally something that sounds like a 3-4 nose. 

On 2/12/2024 at 2:21 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Finally something that sounds like a 3-4 nose. 

Honestly he still needs to gain 20+ lbs unless he's strong as an ox...when was the last time we had a DT that commanded a double team every down???  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Tank?

That's my first thought...

One of my biggest frustrations with this defense has been trying to plug poor-fitting body types into it.  If we are going to recruit 250-260 lb DEs and 275 lb DTs...we probably should be playing a 4-3 base.  I know a lot of what we do is nickel now due to spread offenses and what not...but the 3-4 in my opinion is highly dependent on your 3 guys up front being able to eat blockers, command double teams and get penetration into the backfield.  We've lacked that the last few years...and it really hurts us in my opinion...

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, UND08 said:

One of my biggest frustrations with this defense has been trying to plug poor-fitting body types into it.  If we are going to recruit 250-260 lb DEs and 275 lb DTs...we probably should be playing a 4-3 base.  I know a lot of what we do is nickel now due to spread offenses and what not...but the 3-4 in my opinion is highly dependent on your 3 guys up front being able to eat blockers, command double teams and get penetration into the backfield.  We've lacked that the last few years...and it really hurts us in my opinion...

100% correct.  Nose Tackle is the tip of the spear. The more offensive lineman the 3 down lineman occupy, the more plays the linebackers make!

16 hours ago, UND08 said:

Said this before but we need to get rid of this horrible 3-4 defense. It just does not work in the FCS because you can't get the type of DL. Plus nobody runs the veer or option offense anymore that the 3-4 is designed to stop. Might work for Bama, Georgia, Notre Dame, ect. but not at UND. It's not the 80's or 90's anymore when that type of defense was more popular. 

Simple alignment is not the issue. Teams rarely are in base defense nowadays anyways; almost always in what you’d call sub packages (nickel). The issues on defense are recruiting, development, and, probably the biggest, the brainpower (or lack thereof) behind the defense. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:51 AM, GoHawks said:

Poteat is going to Temple

• 2 months later...