SiouxSports.com Forum

The Wake for Walsh Hall

SIOUXFAN97

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Knowing how much was used as wall spackle, I wonder if the rubble smells like mint toothpaste. :p

LOL, I thought that I was the only Jethro that did that..  I used Colgate because it was white and matched the wall color.  Crest light mint green was too obvious.

• Like 1

Will the replacement building for Walsh have refrigerated floors on the lowest level?

Legends talk of freezing the lowest level of Walsh by opening all the windows in the dead of winter. Whether true or not, it’s an excellent tale that fits into the spirit of Walsh Hall. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Will the replacement building for Walsh have refrigerated floors on the lowest level?

Legends talk of freezing the lowest level of Walsh by opening all the windows in the dead of winter. Whether true or not, it’s an excellent tale that fits into the spirit of Walsh Hall. 

The late 80s in Walsh were epic. Stuff that Netflix documentaries are made of.

• Upvote 1

Man I’m going to need some time to take this loss in. What great memories from that place. All the friendships made that have lasted til today. Texted many of them today and my shock is not alone. 

From meeting that hot blonde from Squires that blossomed into…….nothing. To getting the cops called on us for being too loud. To my weird roommate deciding to sleep in and never go to class and eventually failing out. To listening to the cake eater goal tender brag about how good he was at hockey then subsequently scoring 3 goals on him in the first intramural game. Details are still really fuzzy for most of my time there!

Drove by last week and was blown away seeing it half down - RIP 215A!  Moved in on a weekend when it was hotter than f*ck and remember going to every store in GF looking for a box fan - finally found one at the KMart (also long gone) and had some relief. 

Had some hometown friends in West - we went to the old theater on Washington that eventually was home to WDAZ to see WarGames and enjoy our first weekend in the big city!   I remember the old (legit) tunnel system underground where you could go and trade in your crappy bedding for fresh sheets but not until a couple months in and the sheets were pretty stinky when I finally discovered it (lol)  

Antennae TV only - no cable or internet yet - got hooked on watching General Hospital because it was on when I was done with class for that freshman year because we only got a few channels.  

Got a few knocks on the door from random RA's because they thought I was "cooking" in my dorm room.   I had a pizza oven I used on weekends going to the old VD on campus that was in the basement of the building across from the Union - learned to open a window from that.

One time I came back early from a holiday with some ditch weed a buddy gave me.   Smoked it - got a headache instead of a buzz and then had a knock on the door shortly after.   I bullshitted some story about how my "native american" roommate had burned some sage earlier to purify the dorm room but he had left and the RA bought it.  My actual roommate was a computer nerd from Stillwater.

ahh memories 

6 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

Drove by last week and was blown away seeing it half down - RIP 215A!  Moved in on a weekend when it was hotter than f*ck and remember going to every store in GF looking for a box fan - finally found one at the KMart (also long gone) and had some relief. 

Had some hometown friends in West - we went to the old theater on Washington that eventually was home to WDAZ to see WarGames and enjoy our first weekend in the big city!   I remember the old (legit) tunnel system underground where you could go and trade in your crappy bedding for fresh sheets but not until a couple months in and the sheets were pretty stinky when I finally discovered it (lol)  

Antennae TV only - no cable or internet yet - got hooked on watching General Hospital because it was on when I was done with class for that freshman year because we only got a few channels.  

Got a few knocks on the door from random RA's because they thought I was "cooking" in my dorm room.   I had a pizza oven I used on weekends going to the old VD on campus that was in the basement of the building across from the Union - learned to open a window from that.

One time I came back early from a holiday with some ditch weed a buddy gave me.   Smoked it - got a headache instead of a buzz and then had a knock on the door shortly after.   I bullshitted some story about how my "native american" roommate had burned some sage earlier to purify the dorm room but he had left and the RA bought it.  My actual roommate was a computer nerd from Stillwater.

ahh memories 

Post of the year contender....."Burned some sage."

When were you on campus?

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I always heard it was second central that was made into a rink over a Christmas break. 

Some claimed third west had a ghost.

The guy shooting ten-shot Roman candles out the second floor window at people walking in the quad was interesting. 

• Upvote 1

I'm in shock...I'm in possession of a video tape from the later 1990's era of W3W which, in the current cancel culture, would completely cancel a lot of folks.  Thanks to the resident documentarian if you are on here...

Oddly enough, I dug the tape out a while back to show my son.  He was quite surprised to see what old boring dad had in him back in the day...

Some great memories of Walsh hall from fall of 97 to spring of 99.  

-  lower level pool table with hourly rate for pennies an hour

- C store in the lower level as well for late night snack cravings

- Navigating the tunnels to the Squires dining hall

- Cranking some "adult movies" at full volume with the doors open and getting everyone to come down to the suite to see what the hell was going on!

-  Hacky sack in the quad after every meal trying to impress the Squires girls

- Launching water balloons in the the quad from the 3rd floor windows

- "Walshstock"

- Fire alarms going off multiple times at all hours of the night

- Being lucky enough to know someone who could take you up to the 4th floor "Penthouse"

Long live the memories at Walsh Hall and may the brotherhood of former Walsh Hall residents live on forever. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DamStrait said:

West and McVey were knocked down first and have been replaced with residence halls with the same names - huge improvement, but the “mirrors of infinity” are no more…

I drove down University Ave the other day after dropping my kiddo off at driver's ed, and the new residence halls look pretty nice. I can't get over how many improvements UND has made on campus—definitely some upgrades. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:03 PM, Oxbow6 said:

The late 80s in Walsh were epic. Stuff that Netflix documentaries are made of.

I lived there from. 88-90.  No better place to be on the whole campus.  RAs just assumed you were carrying beer in your bags and didn't care.  

On 6/24/2023 at 10:42 AM, Sioux95 said:

I lived there from. 88-90.  No better place to be on the whole campus.  RAs just assumed you were carrying beer in your bags and didn't care.  

Yeah, no reason to question an oversized suitcase loaded down coming into the building on Friday afternoon of a home hockey weekend. :silly: 

Can't see it; can't smell it; can't hear it; must not be there. 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:08 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Post of the year contender....."Burned some sage."

When were you on campus?

Fu?  Early 80's and a certified one-year resident of Walsh Hall.   Can prove it if I need to - fun thread - don't be a dick for no reason but we all know you need NO reason to be anything else so thanks for contributing.

• Downvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:54 AM, DamStrait said:

West and McVey were knocked down first and have been replaced with residence halls with the same names - huge improvement, but the “mirrors of infinity” are no more…

I'm sure Noren and Selke are next on that list. 

Those were my 2 places of living freshman and sophomore year.