SiouxSports.com Forum

The Wake for Walsh Hall

SIOUXFAN97

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Biggest question is did the smoke alarms go off one last time when the building was demolished?!!:D

I did the math for one fall semester in the late 1980s:
GFFD was at Walsh an average of every 32 hours from the day the hall opened in August to the day it closed for Christmas break. I knew most of the Columbia Road fire station guys by first name. 

Housing told me it was poor detectors and bad wiring to them. I think the dust/stank of the place was just as much an issue. 

Knowing how much was used as wall spackle, I wonder if the rubble smells like mint toothpaste. :p

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Now that Walsh is rubble, on the ground, it's time for the "Walsh Wake". 

Former residents, share your best stories and recollections. 

And always remember ... WALSH: Where All Ladies Seek Happiness  ;) 

PS - Like Walsh, it's BYOB. :D  

I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to be on the ground floor in Walsh for the 08-09 school year. The same suite my dad lived in during the mid 70s. It was really easy to sneak beer through my window. I would drop off the case outside my window and run to my room to pull it through. The unfortune side of that is people would always congregate around that window during the early hours of the morning. I also had some guys try to break into my room during Thanksgiving break while I was sleeping. The look on their faces when I shot out of bed was priceless. Lot of good times had in that building. Sad to see it go.

• Upvote 1

As a 2015 UND graduate, it was not long ago that this was home. I still remember it like yesterday. My greatest memories were playing volleyball at the volleyball court outside and studying out on the grass. The most UND student base memory was being woken up about 2 a.m. to a real fire alarm becuase someone had put their cloths in the common kitchen microwave to dry. The microwave blew up and caused a full fire in the kitchen. The guys sat outside for an hour or two in the below zero Temps before being allowed to spend time in the squires cafeteria.l We finally were allowed to return to the dorm just before my normal time of getting up. Walsh will always be in my heart.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 108498 said:

The most UND student base memory was being woken up about 2 a.m. to a real fire alarm becuase someone had put their cloths in the common kitchen microwave to dry. The microwave blew up and cased a full fire in the kitchen. 

The old foil Burger King Whopper wrappers have the same effect on those microwave ovens.