SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday....the Clowns....St. Paul. YES!

Wilbur

On 3/13/2023 at 2:11 PM, tnt said:

I've always said it takes a loss or two in the NCAA tourney to have a bad enough taste in your mouth to set your mind to not let it happen again.  Obviously that didn't help us from last year, but I always wonder how much more determined Kawaguchi, Pinto and company would have come out had they lost a tournament game in the Covid cancellation year.  Hopefully we get in this year so guys like McLaughlin, Blake and James have the experience to draw on, win or lose. 

I'm not so sure they would have experience a loss during that covid year. Nothing is guaranteed, but that was a dominant team that was playing really really well.

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Personally, I am flushed with excitement to see UND come out guns a-blazin' on Friday night.  Get a goal in the first five minutes of the game, and that place will explode.

Yep. Just let it all go, baby. Can't friggin' wait.

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Personally, I am flushed with excitement to see UND come out guns a-blazin' on Friday night.  Get a goal in the first five minutes of the game, and that place will explode.

Hope that is the case, but that has been my biggest disappointment this season, when backs have been to the wall they still came out flat and didn't find their game until the second period.  If they come out buzzing, I like their chances, if they sit back and let St. Cloud take it to them early with their season on the line, I will be even more disappointed.  Hopefully they start like they did against Omaha in game three, only capitalize early. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hope that is the case, but that has been my biggest disappointment this season, when backs have been to the wall they still came out flat and didn't find their game until the second period.  If they come out buzzing, I like their chances, if they sit back and let St. Cloud take it to them early with their season on the line, I will be even more disappointed.  Hopefully they start like they did against Omaha in game three, only capitalize early. 

Yep, I'm nervous about an early jittery/slow start, too. Just bring the energy throughout and let the chips fall. This team seems to have found the ability to fire out the gates here recently, in most cases. It has to happen again because Clown will be fired up to shut the crowd down early. 

7 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

2014 won third place game and needed some help and got in when Wisconsin beat OSU in OT for Big 10 title.

I'll never forget that. Went to a buddy's place downtown to watch Sconnie get us into the tourney instead of going to the championship game lol. And then we smoked them in the first round hahaha. 

1 hour ago, johnsowe said:

Would home sites be better for the nchc? Is the Xcel too big? 

Probably better at home sites, the NCHC seems to do just fine having at the X. No, the X isn't too big. It isn't like the Final 5 of old, but it is nice having it all in one spot. There are a lot of alumni down in the cities and they will gather at the X among other places this weekend.:silly:

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

One year we won the third place game, which gave us an at-large berth, IIRC.

We beat Western Michigan 5-0 for 3rd in 2014 and then made the bar turn off NCAA basketball so we could watch Wisconsin come from down 4-2 with 7 minutes left to beat Ohio State. An Ohio State win would have eliminated us. The we went to Cincinnati and thanked Bucky for getting us in the tournament by sending them packing in the first round.....we won't talk about what happened 2 weeks later.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, petey23 said:

We beat Western Michigan 5-0 for 3rd in 2014 and then made the bar turn off NCAA basketball so we could watch Wisconsin come from down 4-2 with 7 minutes left to beat Ohio State. An Ohio State win would have eliminated us. The we went to Cincinnati and thanked Bucky for getting us in the tournament by sending them packing in the first round.....we won't talk about what happened 2 weeks later.

Nope. Nothing happened. We all went on our merry way.

27 minutes ago, Pump It Up said:

Can a SCSU fan chime in?

I think it's pathetic that the Big 10 tried to do a conference tourney at the X and it was an utter failure compared to the NCHC at Target Center.  I hope we never go to home sites.  That said, without UND it would be pretty ugly attendance wise.

See you guys Friday.

Yes you will!

40 minutes ago, Pump It Up said:

Can a SCSU fan chime in?

I think it's pathetic that the Big 10 tried to do a conference tourney at the X and it was an utter failure compared to the NCHC at Target Center.  I hope we never go to home sites.  That said, without UND it would be pretty ugly attendance wise.

See you guys Friday.

Hopefully you guys get placed in Fargo for your regional, every time a regional on I-29 is a success is good for everyone nearby.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-set-to-play-on-st-patricks-day-in-st-paul-again

UND on St. Patrick's Day

2023 — UND vs. St. Cloud State, NCHC semifinal
2018 — 4-1 win over Minnesota Duluth, NCHC third place (green), St. Paul
2017 — 1-0 win over Denver, NCHC semifinal (black), Minneapolis
2013 — 6-0 win over Michigan Tech, WCHA first round (white), Grand Forks
2012 — 4-0 win over Denver, WCHA championship (green), St. Paul
2007 — 3-2 OT loss to Minnesota, WCHA championship (green), St. Paul
2006 — 4-3 win over Wisconsin, WCHA semifinal (green), St. Paul
2005 — 3-2 win over Wisconsin, WCHA quarterfinal (green), St. Paul
2001 — 6-5 OT loss to St. Cloud State, WCHA final (white), St. Paul
2000 — 7-3 win over St. Cloud State, WCHA semifinal (white), Minneapolis
1990 — 5-3 loss to Boston University, NCAA first round, Boston
1984 — 4-2 win over RPI, NCAA quarterfinal, Troy, N.Y.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-set-to-play-on-st-patricks-day-in-st-paul-again

UND on St. Patrick's Day

2023 — UND vs. St. Cloud State, NCHC semifinal
2018 — 4-1 win over Minnesota Duluth, NCHC third place (green), St. Paul
2017 — 1-0 win over Denver, NCHC semifinal (black), Minneapolis
2013 — 6-0 win over Michigan Tech, WCHA first round (white), Grand Forks
2012 — 4-0 win over Denver, WCHA championship (green), St. Paul
2007 — 3-2 OT loss to Minnesota, WCHA championship (green), St. Paul
2006 — 4-3 win over Wisconsin, WCHA semifinal (green), St. Paul
2005 — 3-2 win over Wisconsin, WCHA quarterfinal (green), St. Paul
2001 — 6-5 OT loss to St. Cloud State, WCHA final (white), St. Paul
2000 — 7-3 win over St. Cloud State, WCHA semifinal (white), Minneapolis
1990 — 5-3 loss to Boston University, NCAA first round, Boston
1984 — 4-2 win over RPI, NCAA quarterfinal, Troy, N.Y.

Seems like a good day for us :)

On 3/14/2023 at 2:41 PM, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not so sure they would have experience a loss during that covid year. Nothing is guaranteed, but that was a dominant team that was playing really really well.

Didn't somebody wonder aloud at the beginning of the season whether the current team would go undefeated?