SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday....the Clowns....St. Paul. YES!

Wilbur

1 hour ago, Clark17 said:

3M up for overhaul after tonight.  Narrowing it up to between 88 - 92.

@Clark17, is there a reason they're not just going with a regulation 85' rink width? (It seems weird that universities can just pick an arbitrary width, like Wisco's 97'.)

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

@Clark17, is there a reason they're not just going with a regulation 85' rink width? (It seems weird that universities can just pick an arbitrary width, like Wisco's 97'.)

I would assume that, in both cases, they are fitting their design into existing constraints.  The Kohl Center is not just a hockey facility.  For Mariucci, it is purely a hockey facility, but they're modifying from an existing footprint.  Have to take into consideration seating, sightlines, etc.  I'm guessing the NCAA has a standard that a hockey ice sheet must conform to with certain dimensions being flexible within a range (like width) and others fixed (like goal crease, etc).

• Upvote 1

1.2 Dimensions -
As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200 feet long and 85 feet wide. The corners should be rounded in the arc of a circle with a radius of 20 feet.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IH24.pdf 

Like @Dustinsays, I'm guessing going from 100' down they had to live in existing physical constraints. 

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Yes seems arbitrary but like another post on here they need to work within the arena setup for seating etc... 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I would assume that, in both cases, they are fitting their design into existing constraints.  The Kohl Center is not just a hockey facility.  For Mariucci, it is purely a hockey facility, but they're modifying from an existing footprint.  Have to take into consideration seating, sightlines, etc.  I'm guessing the NCAA has a standard that a hockey ice sheet must conform to with certain dimensions being flexible within a range (like width) and others fixed (like goal crease, etc).

Agree, pitch of the seating will also have to be considered to add more rows too, if that's what they are planning on doing. 

22 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Star Tribune posted in their preview that they went 2-6-3 to close the regular season so of those 7 wins, it appears most were probably in January. 

Definitely on a skid and we have trended the other way.  Should be a good one tonight regardless, hopefully with us on the right side.

1 hour ago, snooty89 said:

CBS Sports Network only tonight right?  I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for NCHC.TV app to not have figure out a way to watch all the cbs sports network games each season.  

This season I've watched every single game for free on onhockey.tv, along with NHL games.

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IH24.pdf 

Like @Dustinsays, I'm guessing going from 100' down they had to live in existing physical constraints. 

1 hour ago, Clark17 said:

Agree, pitch of the seating will also have to be considered to add more rows too, if that's what they are planning on doing. 

You guys are easily 10x better than Wikipedia.