SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

14 hours ago, burd said:

You’ve had a strong couple of weeks though, Sic.   

I've said in the 2023-24 season thread I believe the team needs to restore focus on power skating and edge work.

In that same spirit I'm refocusing on my power snarking and edgy work. ;) :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've said in the 2023-24 season thread I believe the team needs to restore focus on power skating and edge work.

In that same spirit I'm refocusing on my power snarking and edgy work. ;) :D 

Others might call it letting your true arsehole nature shine through.  

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

McMahon has words on Alex Young in the portal.
Anyone a subscriber and want to give a recap (no copy/paste).

https://www.collegehockeyinsider.com/p/296-colgates-young-enters-the-transfer?sd=pf 

He basically said Young has a Do Not Contact listed next to his name in the portal. So either he already knows where he is going or he wants to be the one to contact schools he’s interested in. 

He also said it may just be a precaution depending on who Colgate’s new coach is. But normally Do Not Contact means the player already knows their destination. 

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

He basically said Young has a Do Not Contact listed next to his name in the portal. So either he already knows where he is going or he wants to be the one to contact schools he’s interested in. 

He also said it may just be a precaution depending on who Colgate’s new coach is. But normally Do Not Contact means the player already knows their destination. 

Sounds like Arizona State is where he will go.

Colgate's Assistant coach is going to ASU also

The NCAA really needs to amend the portal rules to not let it be a "free for all".  That's just going to end up hurting the smaller schools more and more as the "big" schools pluck talented players from their rosters...like a feeder system.

It'll be good once the 5th year "free" year is done, as that will make for less portal entrants.  Is next year the last year for that?  Or two more years?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

The NCAA really needs to amend the portal rules to not let it be a "free for all".  That's just going to end up hurting the smaller schools more and more as the "big" schools pluck talented players from their rosters...like a feeder system.

It'll be good once the 5th year "free" year is done, as that will make for less portal entrants.  Is next year the last year for that?  Or two more years?

Next year’s seniors are the last class that can get the free 5th year. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Next year’s seniors are the last class that can get the free 5th year. 

Great…one more year of this mess.

And like someone else noted, other than the ivy’s, this just crushes the smaller schools.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

I don't think the NCAA cares much about the schools themselves.  The whole idea is allowing a young adult make the best decision for their individual future.  I agree with your sentiment, but sadly I don't think much is going to change or there will be more lawsuits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You have to know some level of tampering was happening just about everywhere. 

- Former NTDP guys going to Nightengale at  MSU
- MSU-M guys "landing" at Wisconsin 
- Alex Young projecting to ASU (from Colgate, and ASU just hired a Colgate assistant)

This ... month ... would be a great month to finish out the defensive corps with a 8th D. 

And if they're serious about 16Fs ... 

And how's HH out in Alberni.
He got hurt in a game on Apr 19 and hasn't played since (five games). :ohmy:

On 4/29/2023 at 7:44 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It's hard to enforce rules being made up as they go...

True.

I think the process of a player entering the portal and calling around or having his advisor(assuming he has one) make some calls to find a new home or better fit is pretty standard even if done in reverse where a player reaches out to his advisor and has him check the temperature ahead of his entering the portal so a player has destination ahead of entering the portal technically.

I am guessing the accusations come in where some feel that schools are reaching out to an advisor and inquiring as to whether a player would be interested in entering the portal or having players reach out to their former USHL or other Junior league teammates which some players could potentially do on their own. "Hey coach I was texting with my old buddy and linemate X and he said he was thinking about entering the portal but there are really only 1 or 2 places he would want to go and doesn't want to enter the portal unless he can land at one of those schools and feels if he enters the portal he is pretty much committed to leaving...what do you think he should do?"

I am guessing that many of these guys who have played on travel teams and in juniors with 100's of different players have pretty extensive contact lists touching most of the college teams in the country on their phones and could easily conquer 6 degrees of should I enter the portal?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

True.

I think the process of a player entering the portal and calling around or having his advisor(assuming he has one) make some calls to find a new home or better fit is pretty standard even if done in reverse where a player reaches out to his advisor and has him check the temperature ahead of his entering the portal so a player has destination ahead of entering the portal technically.

I am guessing the accusations come in where some feel that schools are reaching out to an advisor and inquiring as to whether a player would be interested in entering the portal or having players reach out to their former USHL or other Junior league teammates which some players could potentially do on their own. "Hey coach I was texting with my old buddy and linemate X and he said he was thinking about entering the portal but there are really only 1 or 2 places he would want to go and doesn't want to enter the portal unless he can land at one of those schools and feels if he enters the portal he is pretty much committed to leaving...what do you think he should do?"

I am guessing that many of these guys who have played on travel teams and in juniors with 100's of different players have pretty extensive contact lists touching most of the college teams in the country on their phones and could easily conquer 6 degrees of should I enter the portal?

You make a really good point here. If I am some guy, and I don't want to lose my scholarship unless I can go to 'x' university, I would be on the spot if they weren't interested, and, I might be WAY worse off than if I had just sat back and stayed. I still hate the portal. I also hate the covid year. Did I mention that I hated the portal?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This ... month ... would be a great month to finish out the defensive corps with a 8th D. 

And if they're serious about 16Fs ... 

:ohmy:

Like sands through the hourglass,

so are the days of our lives.

56 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/05/02_Tensions-Over-Transfer-Portal.php

Addresses Michigan, but also names MSU and UND as other "aggressive" schools.

Its the transfer portal.  Who gives a !@#$ about aggressive.  "hey Berry, could you not be so aggressive about getting top notch players that the nation knows about in the transfer portal?"  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/05/02_Tensions-Over-Transfer-Portal.php

Addresses Michigan, but also names MSU and UND as other "aggressive" schools.

I'm not sure it insinuates MSU or UND were tampering only that they were aggressive in picking up players from the portal which is obviously very true. From how I read it, only Michigan was accused of actually tampering but I certainly agree it's out there and always will be with the portal moving forward.