SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

14 minutes ago, burd said:

No way.   They'd run the staff out of town on a rail, something I'd remember.  

They'd do that in a hurry and I grant you it wouldn't be pretty whether you remembered it or not. :D 

This is kinda fun ... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 1966guy said:

Yes and the same crap went on that's going on now.  How many people wanted Hakstol fired because he couldn't win the big one?  This is a never ending cycle. The only way to solve this problem is to win a title every year.

People need to realize there are many good programs in the country and every one of them wants the same thing.  After 25 years of solid finishes and a few national titles and many conference titles there are bound to be a few down years.

Any suggestions from people on the sight as to they you would think would be a good pick to coach this team and reasons why that person is a good fit?

I'd only argue its probably (mostly) the same group of people constantly calling for the coach's job.

I never called for Hak to be fired, always liked watching his teams compete. He seemed to be able to get more with less at time. Seemed to also get some high end recruits.

Berry has also been able to get some high end recruits, though his pipeline seems a little less consistent. I'm not one to call for Berry's job, but I would definitely like to see a little more consistency with him and some more tourney appearances/success.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Berry has also been able to get some high end recruits, though his pipeline seems a little less consistent. 

Continued reliance* on the portal in a post- "extra Covid year" world will be a signal he's not recruiting like he should be. 

*Reliance, not occasional use in the case of an exceptional opportunity. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Continued reliance* on the portal in a post- "extra Covid year" world will be a signal he's not recruiting like he should be. 

*Reliance, not occasional use in the case of an exceptional opportunity. 

I cannot wait for the *extra covid year* to be in the rearview mirror. I think it kills recruiting and the teams that minimize the use of it will come out much better in the end. It feeds the portal, and that need to be better managed as well. I said it before. NEW RULE: you cannot enter the portal without a one year penalty after your Sophomore year. Done next...

• Upvote 2

Ethan Philips to WMU (from BU). Righty dman that put up ok numbers the past two years in Boston. Had a really nice USHL season. I remember him being solid in the tourney. Curious if Bubs was after him. 5th year righty dman (4th rounder too).

24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ethan Philips to WMU (from BU). Righty dman that put up ok numbers the past two years in Boston. Had a really nice USHL season. I remember him being solid in the tourney. Curious if Bubs was after him. 5th year righty dman (4th rounder too).

CHN has Philips listed as a Forward.

18 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Berry is hopefully on the phone with Alex Young right now, just entered the portal today.

My strong suspicion is if a guy enters the portal at this time he has a landing spot already. Hope for the right one. ;)  

The immediate entries are marketing themselves.
The later entries are "sold" and just doing the paperwork. 

2 minutes ago, mn_sioux said:

Still wondering about Air Force D man Koch... Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to get his transfer approved. 

Great question!
I thought after second year at a service academy you were "in" for the military commitment time, period. 

From the local Gazette "There is no guarantee that a graduating Air Force student-athlete will be able to transfer to another program. It entails a rigorous process where Air Force has to clear the student-athlete to play elsewhere and that the student-athlete has to be accepted at another school’s graduate program."

10 minutes ago, mn_sioux said:

From the local Gazette "There is no guarantee that a graduating Air Force student-athlete will be able to transfer to another program. It entails a rigorous process where Air Force has to clear the student-athlete to play elsewhere and that the student-athlete has to be accepted at another school’s graduate program."

That makes it sound like the military views it as "going to grad school" and the military commitment is still there. 

Would UND have an easier path luring Koch, and getting the paperwork through, with that slab of government concrete 13 miles west of campus and a former Dean of Faculty at USAFA as UND president? :huh: :D  

< knock on door >
Uncle Andy: Come in.
Bubs: Um, boss, do you still have connections in the Springs or the A-ring?
Uncle Andy: < sits back in chair > ... Why ...
Bubs: There's this kid, Koch, in the portal at Air Force, senior, right hand defense. He'd be a one-year rental. Looking at grad school ... 
Uncle Andy: You sure.
Bubs: I'm here asking.
Uncle Andy: Let me make a call, make sure it checks out. I'll get back to you. 

(Thanks to whoever put new batteries in my bug in Armacost's office. :lol:

The article: https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-sports/air-force-senior-defenseman-brandon-koch-enters-transfer-portal/article_e90a1c44-c8f3-11ed-82e1-e7c5fd6695c6.html 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That makes it sound like the military views it as "going to grad school" and the military commitment is still there. 

Would UND have an easier path luring Koch, and getting the paperwork through, with that slab of government concrete 13 miles west of campus and a former Dean of Faculty at USAFA as UND president? :huh: :D  

The article: https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-sports/air-force-senior-defenseman-brandon-koch-enters-transfer-portal/article_e90a1c44-c8f3-11ed-82e1-e7c5fd6695c6.html 

A very good start on meeting the transfer criteria. 

4 minutes ago, mn_sioux said:

A very good start on meeting the transfer criteria. 

Ready for a belly-laugh?

Koch: Long-term goal is to become an operations research analyst 

Armacost: ... award-winning educator and researcher in the field of Operations Research, ... 

You can't make stuff like that up!  :lol:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like those numbers. Fingers crossed! 

What are his faceoff stats?

Agreed, 21 goals is a lot for college puck. 

Colgate has been done for a while now. I’m guessing his commitment will be quick.

So if you get Alex Young, do we push someone else out at some point because they aren't seeing ice time?  Much like Jalun Trent entering the portal in basketball after UND took two guards from the portal, what will the consequences be?

Many decry the portal, and how much we have had to use it, but in the same breath every shiny new entry, people want.   It sure is tempting on a lot of guys, but then which young guy sits and potentially leaves?  I've got to imagine it is a difficult choice for the coaches to pursue a talented player, not knowing the consequences for down the road.  Put me in the category that the sooner the extra Covid year is gone and the portal isn't as extensive, the better.