SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

6 minutes ago, Sioux27 said:

Its the transfer portal.  Who gives a !@#$ about aggressive.  "hey Berry, could you not be so aggressive about getting top notch players that the nation knows about in the transfer portal?"  

6 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I'm not sure it insinuates MSU or UND were tampering only that they were aggressive in picking up players from the portal which is obviously very true. From how I read it, only Michigan was accused of actually tampering but I certainly agree it's out there and always will be with the portal moving forward. 

Feels like the intention was to say that Michigan isn't the only team that's being aggressive, but the entirety of the article was discussing an accusation of cheating. So frankly, whether it was intentional or not, it came off as the author accusing UND and Michigan State of the same thing Michigan was doing. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can I support aggressively going after a portal entrant? Yes.
Can I support tampering? No. 

It's a pretty simple, clean line that I hope Berry and his staff are smart enough to not cross. 

None of the transfers UND has gotten this spring scream tampering. We had to recruit all of them. Most of the time I was told of a target, they didn’t commit to UND hours after going into the portal or anything. Most of them took a while to commit. 

I know Bemidji fans accused Berry of tampering with Driscoll but that’s probably just angry fans complaining. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

None of the transfers UND has gotten this spring scream tampering. We had to recruit all of them. Most of the time I was told of a target, they didn’t commit to UND hours after going into the portal or anything. Most of them took a while to commit. 

I know Bemidji fans accused Berry of tampering with Driscoll but that’s probably just angry fans complaining. 

I would be top $ all the coaches are tampering. Or the coaches have someone else (in their network) that is tampering for them. I’m next to certain on it. 

• Upvote 1

Did Q tamper with Moore? It was a surprise; yet he's moving closer to home. I could see it either way but will trust Q. 

Did SCSU tamper with Portz? It was a surprise; yet he's moving closer to home. I could see it either way but will trust SCSU. 

Tampering is a big, big claim. Facts are useful to have when making it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can I support aggressively going after a portal entrant? Yes.
Can I support tampering? No. 

It's a pretty simple, clean line that I hope Berry and his staff are smart enough to not cross. 

What is definition of and who is doing the tampering is probably a fair question.

Player talks to his advisior and says I think I would be interested in entering the portal if I knew a certain team or teams was interested in me. Advisor makes a few calls to find out if their is mutual interest and reports back to his "client". Coaches did not initiate contact with player who is not in the portal and simply answered phone call from a Family Advisor(future agent) who he has probably dealt several times over the years....not tampering?

Coach gets a call from an advisor who has a client in the portal to gauge if they have interest and if it would be a good fit and Coach inquires about another player that he  knows the Advisor works with who isn't currently in the portal...Tampering?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

What is definition of and who is doing the tampering is probably a fair question.

Player talks to his advisior and says I think I would be interested in entering the portal if I knew a certain team or teams was interested in me. Advisor makes a few calls to find out if their is mutual interest and reports back to his "client". Coaches did not initiate contact with player who is not in the portal and simply answered phone call from a Family Advisor(future agent) who he has probably dealt several times over the years....not tampering?

Coach gets a call from an advisor who has a client in the portal to gauge if they have interest and if it would be a good fit and Coach inquires about another player that he  knows the Advisor works with who isn't currently in the portal...Tampering?

Nope. That's exactly how the portal is supposed to work. Coaches do not initiate contact unless the player is already in the portal. They have a good idea of who could, however.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I would be top $ all the coaches are tampering. Or the coaches have someone else (in their network) that is tampering for them. I’m next to certain on it. 

The transfer portal in every sport has changed everything. I do not agree with coaches actively calling players directly on other rosters and trying to recruit them or like some basketball coaches I've heard mentioning to a guy in the handshake line something like "good game, I'd like you on our roster next year".

The thing most coaches do is reach out to a guys high school, junior, family member and hey we have an opening and think your guy would be a great fit if he ever thinks about leaving where he is at.

5 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I'm not sure it insinuates MSU or UND were tampering only that they were aggressive in picking up players from the portal which is obviously very true. From how I read it, only Michigan was accused of actually tampering but I certainly agree it's out there and always will be with the portal moving forward. 

First thought I had when he name dropped MSU and UND was, I can easily think of a handful of other teams who’ve been equally “aggressive” (aka, active) in the portal. Bentley, Northeastern, Miami, UMass Lowell, and probably many others. So why single out MSU and UND? 

14 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

First thought I had when he name dropped MSU and UND was, I can easily think of a handful of other teams who’ve been equally “aggressive” (aka, active) in the portal. Bentley, Northeastern, Miami, UMass Lowell, and probably many others. So why single out MSU and UND? 

Because it's Wodon.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Howard is a pretty obvious answer. Wodon claims he was expecting Persson to transfer to UND since January, so maybe he heard about something around that time.

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I think you’re not far off.  Did they not think when they quit the sitting out year for transferring that it would lead to “aggressive recruiting”?

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Howard is a pretty obvious answer. Wodon claims he was expecting Persson to transfer to UND since January, so maybe he heard about something around that time.

He just assumed UND was going to get a transfer goalie and picked Persson as the likely choice. Lucky guess is all. 

Him and Duluth media types have made it their entire personality to make cheap shots at UND’s use of the transfer portal. 

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

He just assumed UND was going to get a transfer goalie and picked Persson as the likely choice. Lucky guess is all. 

Him and Duluth media types have made it their entire personality to make cheap shots at UND’s use of the transfer portal. 

I actually heard rumors last year that Persson was going to be our goalie but he obviously didn't enter the portal until this year so it wasn't overly shocking news to anyone. 

10 hours ago, Goon said:

I wonder if I will get a response? 

Wodon is dancing on the edge on purpose. 

The talks about ... whispers of tampering.
Then he mentions MSU and UND have been "aggressive" ... but then says there's no proof. 
But the mental ties have been made. 

He's trying to create guilt by inference. 

He danced right to the edge of defamation (libel, slander) but stopped just short.