SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

5 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Cool. Let's get Bama and Georgia level talent and we should be good. 

The alignment is not the issue, it’s the players and the calls. 3-4 requires different type of players than 4-3. Bottomline, you fit the scheme to the players, not the other way around. With recruiting, you can recruit to the scheme, but the more flexible you are the better. You don’t need “Bama and Georgia level talent” to run a 3-4, you just need the right type of players. 

The bigger issue is how complicated and rigid the 3-4 system that UND runs is. It’s too complicated right now, and needs to be simplified so the best players - regardless of class or experience - can play.  

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Would love to see KK not return

^fixed your post

but in all seriousness, it’s linebacker or bust for him. He has no business being in the defensive secondary, at all. Such a bad safety. I’d go as far as saying the worst UND starting safety in the past 20+ seasons. 

I didn't see anything "complicated" about what UND was running defensively the last two games. Basically they were getting punched in the face and zero adjustments were made to not get gashed on every run. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I didn't see anything "complicated" about what UND was running defensively the last two games. Basically they were getting punched in the face and zero adjustments were made to not get gashed on every run. 

Only so many adjustments that can be made when your front seven is too weak and slow to stop a top FCS running game. Weber State and NDSU just beat up UND’s front seven. 

With that said, alignment/run fits were all screwed up, so coaching was partly an issue, no doubt. 

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s too complicated right now, and needs to be simplified so the best players - regardless of class or experience - can play.  

If this is accurate:

(a) it needs to change (less is more, simpler is better);
(b) it’s on the coaches. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The alignment is not the issue, it’s the players and the calls. 3-4 requires different type of players than 4-3. Bottomline, you fit the scheme to the players, not the other way around. With recruiting, you can recruit to the scheme, but the more flexible you are the better. You don’t need “Bama and Georgia level talent” to run a 3-4, you just need the right type of players. 

The bigger issue is how complicated and rigid the 3-4 system that UND runs is. It’s too complicated right now, and needs to be simplified so the best players - regardless of class or experience - can play.  

I thought my response was sufficiently tongue in cheek. But fitting the system to the players and simplifying is exactly what I've said previously.  Keep trying to jam the square peg into the round hole is not going to bring success. 

1 minute ago, nodakvindy said:

I thought my response was sufficiently tongue in cheek. But fitting the system to the players and simplifying is exactly what I've said previously.  Keep trying to jam the square peg into the round hole is not going to bring success. 

Agreed. Another example of subpar coaching currently for UND.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I guess we might as well look at what we have coming back.

QB: everyone. This group is mostly an asset.

RB: lose Hoos which sucks, i wish we could have him another year. What a stud. Other losses are Moe-Tucker to the portal and likely Skokna ages out? This group needs a good transfer and fr. We will only have 4 RBs returning. Ziebarth is an x factor with his size and speed, hopefully he can step into a big role.

WR: Lose Maag. I'm not sure what to make of this group. Bo is an animal obviously. I think there's some potential with Dennis, DeMontagnac, and Wright. But as a whole this group is weak. Everyone knows how I feel about it, too white and slow. It's not hard to find good WRs these days with how the game is played in all parts of the country. 

TE: Lose Steckler and Zavalney. We've actually got a really nice group here, we just don't use them enough. I want to see more of Gunderson, he's got all the tools. Steck intrigues me as well. Norby is a nice player as well. I also look for Thaden to end up at OT before he's done here, kid's huge.

OL: Lose Christian and Oliphant. Ventrelli might come back for a final year, has this been confirmed? Kilty, Anderson, Hagen, Carrol, Lotysz and Bryant are a nice core. If a couple of Kelzenberg, Becher, Borud, and/or Kuntz develop we should be in business and better on the OL. We need this group to become the strength of the program with a legit 2 deep at every spot. We're not quite there yet but could be close.

DL: Lose Morrison, Ogbu, Johnson and Ledbetter. This group was not good this year. McNaboe made some plays here and there but, as a whole, they didn't do what our system requires. Beech and Orlando at least look the part. Schultz has legit potential i think. We will see if Teiken can make good on the hype. Other than that it's meh at best. Not looking good for next year.

LB: Lose MVJ, White, Cooper, Krzanowski, and Mullin. We are dead at OLB, and I mean dead. I have no idea who can make a play out there. I thought Navratil would have a huge season and he did all of nothing. I think Kelley and Pedigo can get it done in the middle. This group overall just straight sucks which is inexcusable given the system we run. We should be loaded. We have been in the past. What happened? LBs are as easy to find as WRs. The roster management here has been an absolute travesty. 

CB: Lose anyone? I actually like the potential of Ocannsey, Bliuett and Dixon. But they're very young and our system doesn't allow young guys to flourish. 

S: Lose nothing because we have nothing. I've never seen a worse position group. It's bad. Get 6 transfers here and see if any can play. Maybe a couple of these guys, KK and Koshiol, can slide down to OLB and be productive? 

Looks like we will be potentially better on O and potentially worse on D. I guess we will score 40 per game and give up 39.9 per game and lose first round of the playoffs. Nice.

What will it take to make this program a top 10 program? Serious question. 

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Steely Dan Principle

UND hasn't made playoffs in back to back seasons.  Start there

They should still get to 7-4 with that schedule. 

Just making the playoffs isn't much of a thrill any more.   We need to make a run, win a couple games at minimum in the playoffs.  In 9 years, is Missouri State our only win or am I forgetting about a second one?

I sure wouldn't assume a playoff spot with a 7-4 record, not with the way the NCAA goes about it's backhanded dealings.

Just now, Hawkster said:

Just making the playoffs isn't much of a thrill any more.   We need to make a run, win a couple games at minimum in the playoffs.  In 9 years, is Missouri State our only win or am I forgetting about a second one?

I sure wouldn't assume a playoff spot with a 7-4 record, not with the way the NCAA goes about it's backhanded dealings.

All true, but UND hasn't ever made it two years in a row to the FCS playoffs.

Thus why I want to start there at minimum.  They should win 7 games with that schedule.  

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

Thus why I want to start there at minimum.  They should win 7 games with that schedule.  

But will 7 wins get us a playoff spot?   Any other team, probably, UND, don't assume anything, it's happened before.

9 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Just one playoff win (2021 spring vs Missouri State) over the past 9 seasons. Ouch. 

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Based on what you’re highlighting (see 2016 to 2017, 2021 spring to fall), I worry 2023 could actually be a 6-5 playoff miss season. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Based on what you’re highlighting (see 2016 to 2017, 2021 spring to fall), I worry 2023 could actually be a 6-5 playoff miss season. 

This is why 2023 is important.  Time to change another narrative.

UND beat the teams they needed to beat to make the playoffs this year, now can they make it back again the following year. 

They haven't done it yet.  Thats another step.  Is it the only step they need to make? Heck no! But they need to start somewhere. 

Steely Dan: Do it again

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Because people like you keep wondering why his contract was extended.  If he is deeemd the guy then it gets extended with 1-2 years left.  It never gets to the end.  

So you do understand what I posted without me having to "figure it out".  I do wonder why a 5-6 coach who made some of the worst game-time decisions I have ever seen including the infamous 4th down Bison call is deemed "the guy" and given an extension that makes buying him out problematic.  

• Upvote 3