SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU @ UND 10/22/22

SiouxFan100

Coach to your personality, back in the D2 days Fire (Rocky) Ice (Thomas). Viking fans Zimmer or O’Connell.

I remember back in 1992 Sioux driving for the go ahead score and Wahl gambled on a sideline pass for a pick, UND lost 20-19) Bench him for the bad pass, or chew him out on the sidelines like former NFL coach Ditka. 

Good coaches find ways to motivate players to get better, some players you can rip on and they respond others you teach them what to do. If they cannot perform next man up. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what i'm hinting it the db being so close to the line is ....what if SDAC's DC watched a ton of tape and found a "tell" of Danny's like in the movies Rounders....if they do this formation and from top to bottom it's maag, bo, and red....95% of the time they run "x" play from that formation with those three going 1,2,3 from the top...so the DC sees Danny's tell (the oreo) and signals to the DB (who signals something to his teammate as he creeps closer to the line) to jump that route...bingo pick 6 and Matt Damon is back to even!!!!!!

815fa910-91f6-49e8-a7bf-c177a583fbcf_tex

There was only 1 defender within 5 yards of the LOS.  There is no route to jump if the WR even gets a slight block on the DB.  Even if DB does a crappy block, it's probably a completion but a gain of only 1 or 2 yards.  But if the WR gets half way decent block it's an easy gain of 3-5 yards. 

4 hours ago, homer said:

I believe he started to hear about it after he smiled after the ejection, waved to the crowd and was high fives by laughing teammates and coaches.  

He and his team/coaches surely knew there was an injured player by that point.  I had zero problem with the hit and it’s hard in real time to lay off.  It was his taunting after in the field and behavior off it that riled the crowd so he may want to revisit his timeline. 

Homer, I have to disagree with you..  the DB came off his man/area near the numbers and saw the WR 10/15 yards away by the hash mark.  So, he clearly had the target in sight.  The WR did not duck into the hit and he is 6'2".  Simply put that was not a reaction - he had his target.  And, I have a problem with that hit.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Homer, I have to disagree with you..  the DB came off his man/area near the numbers and saw the WR 10/15 yards away by the hash mark.  So, he clearly had the target in sight.  The WR did not duck into the hit and he is 6'2".  Simply put that was not a reaction - he had his target.  And, I have a problem with that hit.

Fair enough.  Again, if he just would have come off and taken the penalty for targeting it’s one thing.   The smiling, waving and high fives from players and coaches is what drew comments from the crowd.  His coaching staff knows this and the “apology” is a joke. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

Agreed. Most blatant and intentional targeting I've seen live in years. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, homer said:

Fair enough.  Again, if he just would have come off and taken the penalty for targeting it’s one thing.   The smiling, waving and high fives from players and coaches is what drew comments from the crowd.  His coaching staff knows this and the “apology” is a joke. 

Agree, standing in front of me for the whole down time. The crowd even booed. 

IMG_20221022_180243516.jpg

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So did we burn Caden’s shirt yet?

I might be wrong but I think that was his 4th game. Unless they plan on using him a lot more I hope they don't burn it. However I think since they have already played him 4 games I think they are going to burn it. 

So when do we hear about a final ruling on this call? The behavior should have bern stopped by someone on the sidelines….even team mates. Very poor personal and team integrity. Apologizing for that behavior was ugly on top of ape.  Did the coach over ride him or make any public statement? Says a lot about that whole team, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

So when do we hear about a final ruling on this call? The behavior should have bern stopped by someone on the sidelines….even team mates. Very poor personal and team integrity. Apologizing for that behavior was ugly on top of ape.  Did the coach over ride him or make any public statement? Says a lot about that whole team, IMHO.

Not much out of the SDSU camp other than social media calling UND cheap and apparently someone spit on or into the TE.  IMO the coach should have said something publicly.  You would think that SD media would be asking questions, but Zim is busy posting fluff pic of SDSU players interacting with UND fans after the game - giving the fan his gloves.  It is pretty clear, "Let's move on to Hobo Days" is the thought process.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Expectations are rising for this program and the players need to start stepping up to match those expectations.

I made a similar comment earlier about expectations.  Think about how outraged (some more than others) we are about the sdsu game. That tells me the fan expectations are there. That’s a good thing. 

Now, I’ve been thinking about the second part, about players stepping up. Where does that initiative come from?  Is that on the coaches to plant that seed?  Or is that something that comes from within the players themselves?  Probably some of both. Either way the coaches AND players need to get it soon, because they could let a very promising team/season go by the wayside without it. 

PS. For the record, I’ve been very supportive of the coaching staff, but if this is an issue, we may need some reassessment. Need to see how the next game plays out for starters, and go from there. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I made a similar comment earlier about expectations.  Think about how outraged (some more than others) we are about the sdsu game. That tells me the fan expectations are there. That’s a good thing. 

Now, I’ve been thinking about the second part, about players stepping up. Where does that initiative come from?  Is that on the coaches to plant that seed?  Or is that something that comes from within the players themselves?  Probably some of both. Either way the coaches AND players need to get it soon, because they could let a very promising team/season go by the wayside without it. 

PS. For the record, I’ve been very supportive of the coaching staff, but if this is an issue, we may need some reassessment. Need to see how the next game plays out for starters, and go from there. 

I'd agree, both! 

Disappointed in how flat the players came out to start the second half, which the 360 guys commented on. How is the coaching staff not picking up on this and trying to do something? (maybe they are) How are players not getting themselves pumped and excited about being up on the #1 team in their house and wanting to capitalize? How are the captains and leaders on the team not amping up their teammate and coming out ready for a fast start?

Would starting on offense in the second half have made a difference?

I do think the coaches need to ensure from a recruiting standpoint that they are continuing to recruit playmakers that have the ability to step up and make big plays in big moments, but that is a separate conversation.

I've mentioned a bit, but I do question why we tend to see the play calling shift when we are in these big games. Almost like the coaches are scared of what our abilities are in certain situations. Now they are smarter football minds than myself BUT there just seemed to be something lacking in this last week. I liked the flea flicker call, even though it didn't pan out exactly like we wanted. Though in a huge critical game that we are in and needing big plays, we seem to see less creativity than we do against NAU or Missouri St. Maybe it is a huge ask, but I feel like with all of the scheming that Danny has shown, he should be pulling some of those option out in these types of games. Ahem .... we might need that in Fargo!

Also, I don't remember if there was even a scenario for a fake punt on Saturday, but how has this not happened yet this year? Is the punter not as fast as everyone has claimed? Are coaches scared to try it? I get you need to have the right field position for this, but C'mon!

Und360 had quite a segment on the targeting call.

I think they are as upset with their coach as the kid who,targeted.  Wonder if their coach benches that kid for the first half that is required or the whole,game?  To me the coach should sit out a half for the poor way he handled things.  And where is the league commissioner on this?  She was at the game and should have released a statement.

‘’my 2 cents on this. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't remember if there was even a scenario for a fake punt on Saturday, but how has this not happened yet this year?

I don't remember when exactly it was (sometime in 3rd of 4th quarter) where I thought a fake punt was almost the obvious call (because we were trying to get back in the game) and we didn't do it, probably because SDSU was almost expecting it.  That's my take.  I didn't look at the line-up formations for that play (and even if I had, it wouldn't mean anything to me as non-player / fan only), so maybe there would be some tell-tale sign(s) either way if someone with a knowing mind did look at it.