SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU @ UND 10/22/22

SiouxFan100

I've never been involved in organized football (I was a pretty damn good WR during grade school recess. lol) so I'm a little naive here. It seems obvious that UND has troubles starting the second half. They can look really good in the first half, and then it goes to !@#$ right from the first snap in the third quarter. I think it hasn't been as pronounced this season as it has before, but it clearly happened today. Please enlighten me... without bitching about Bubba ball and Danny and all that.

Edited by N of GF
dumbass said third 'period' when discussing football

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

In what way did I "recognize his great abilities?"

6 hours ago, N of GF said:

TD Tommy!

A lot of quilters on these boards, but our team is playing the game.

A football team only ever quits playing football when the coach decides to take a knee.

5 hours ago, N of GF said:

Fans should be proud that our team plays the game until the end.

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

They played to win until the end.

That should be recognized as a good thing.

Great job pointing out Bubbas never quit attitude!

That's a great ability of a head coach! And you recognized it and pointed it out for everyone! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

A football team only ever quits playing football when the coach decides to take a knee.

Great job pointing out Bubbas never quit attitude!

That's a great ability of a head coach! And you recognized it and pointed it out for everyone! 

LOL. I never said a single word about Bubba. Loser.

Let it be known that Cratter thinks it's pointless for the team to keep playing until the end. It's best to just give up.

That's a loser mentality. Cratter is a loser.

54 minutes ago, N of GF said:

I've never been involved in organized football (I was a pretty damn good WR during grade school recess. lol) so I'm a little naive here. It seems obvious that UND has troubles starting the second half. They can look really good in the first half, and then it goes to !@#$ right from the first snap in the third quarter. I think it hasn't been as pronounced this season as it has before, but it clearly happened today. Please enlighten me... without bitching about Bubba ball and Danny and all that.

This basically tells the story of the game.  UND had a great drive to start the game  had a drive on a very short field after a great punt return and then had a great drive in 2nd quarter.  After  we got up 21-7 the offense faltered badly until we were behind by 21.  At that point, the only thing SDSU had done was take advantage of a bad throw by Tommy.

SDSU obviously made some adjustments at halftime that helped theri cause and UND made a lot of mistakes.  The pick before half vs points for UND was the turning point for me.  

The second half  we just pissed the game away and gave them points and a short field. SDSU had 3 good drives the entire game.

EF7AA1BD-D64A-4A53-9F9B-3FD3BF2BAF26.jpeg

2647C954-E9CD-4235-B141-93FC546070B7.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This basically tells the story of the game.  UND had a great drive to start the game  had a drive on a very short field after a great punt return and then had a great drive in 2nd quarter.  After they we got up 21-7 the offense faltered badly until we were behind by 21.  At that point, the only thing SDSU had done was take advantage of a bad throw by Tommy.

SDSU obviously made some adjustments at halftime that helped theri cause and UND made a lot of mistakes.  The pick before half vs points for UND was the turning point for me.  

The second half  we just kissed the game away and gave them points and a short field. SDSU had 3 good drives the entire game.

EF7AA1BD-D64A-4A53-9F9B-3FD3BF2BAF26.jpeg

2647C954-E9CD-4235-B141-93FC546070B7.jpeg

Well, yes. I'm not completely clueless. I watched the game...

My question was more about the philosophy side. We hear about "adjustments", and in a lot of games it is obvious that "adjustments" are made. As someone who has never been there, a lot of times it is just mind blowing how things can change during half time.

9 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Well, yes. I'm not completely clueless. I watched the game...

My question was more about the philosophy side. We hear about "adjustments", and in a lot of games it is obvious that "adjustments" are made. As someone who has never been there, a lot of times it is just mind blowing how things can change during half time.

... and sorry Midwestern Hawk, I didn't mean to blow you off like my response sounded. You did some work on that reply. Thank you. I just meant my question as a more philosophical question more than game specific. 

29 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Takeaways from section 204....

Danny was brilliant until the pick 6 then Danny went back to being.....Danny. When UND lines up in that formation on the pick 6 everyone in the AL knows there are possibly 3 pass plays they'll run out of it. The DB probably knew that and just gambled and jumped it.

The offensive line struggled.....but what offensive line hasn't vs SDSU's front 7 this season. Could not sustain a running game and once UND fell behind could not pass protect at all. They were put in a tough spot once UND got down 14.

The chance to go up 2 scores at half would have been huge. That's the one throw I'll put on Tommy. Has to be to the very back of the endzone. I'd give Maag (IIRC) a C for effort trying to break it up.

Great crowd.....good atmosphere. Lots of fun regardless of outcome.

Danny did a great job scripting the first drive+ of the game. The pick 6 was huge and Gabe the Jacks soem life.  We did respond a couple of possessions later with a fantastic drive to go up 21-7.  I thought maybe we had recovered.  I was wrong.

I don’t  understand the play call before the half . A FG would have been huge to go up 2 scores. Instead we threw a very low % pass which was intercepted.  That was bad football.

A question for all of you, is Danny’s offense built to keep us in games ?  Does it have the ability to keep and build in leads and put teams away?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Danny did a great job scripting the first drive+ of the game. The pick 6 was huge and Gabe the Jacks soem life.  We did respond a couple of possessions later with a fantastic drive to go up 21-7.  I thought maybe we had recovered.  I was wrong.

I don’t  understand the play call before the half . A FG would have been huge to go up 2 scores. Instead we threw a very low % pass which was intercepted.  That was bad football.

A question for all of you, is Danny’s offense built to keep us in games ?  Does it have the ability to keep and build in leads and put teams away?

I'm guessing Danny wanted ONE shot at the endzone there and trusted his QB to toss it away if it wasn't there. Then he was willing to take the FG.

5 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm guessing Danny wanted ONE shot at the endzone there and trusted his QB to toss it away if it wasn't there. They he was willing to take the FG.

I’m sure you are correct, but a 42 yard fg  is not automatic for us.  A 10-15 yard completion there improves our chances at a FG.  Gave them momentum going into half and we never got the momentum back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I’m sure you are correct, but a 42 yard fg  is not automatic for us.  A 10-15 yard completion there improves our chances at a FG.  Gave them momentum going into half and we never got the momentum back.

I agree, but my recollection is that there was 9 seconds left and we did NOT have a TO. Lots of people were ticked that they didn't try the FG then and I was saying the same thing you are here: Can our kicker make that?

• Upvote 1

At a 7 and 4 record do we make playoffs or are there just too many teams with that record and who knows what the committee will do

the next 3 games are not guaranteed victories but at least 2 of the 3 are home games and we will give the bison a game, be fun to knock them back a few paces 

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Takeaways from section 204....

Danny was brilliant until the pick 6 then Danny went back to being.....Danny. When UND lines up in that formation on the pick 6 everyone in the AL knows there are possibly 3 pass plays they'll run out of it. The DB probably knew that and just gambled and jumped it.

The offensive line struggled.....but what offensive line hasn't vs SDSU's front 7 this season. Could not sustain a running game and once UND fell behind could not pass protect at all. They were put in a tough spot once UND got down 14.

The chance to go up 2 scores at half would have been huge. That's the one throw I'll put on Tommy. Has to be to the very back of the endzone. I'd give Maag (IIRC) a C for effort trying to break it up.

Great crowd.....good atmosphere. Lots of fun regardless of outcome.

Agree with all of this except the last line. A win over the #1 team would’ve been way more fun.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

First of all there is no such thing as moral victories. What fans opinions are on this medium doesn’t reflect where the program is going. Too many fans can’t seem to understand that there are a lot of UND fans who look for positives and want to build on that. There seem to be a number of fans who look for the negatives and their only solution is to fire people (coaches, AD, medical staff Kauk etc).  Most of us  fans have little depth of knowledge of even some of the basic fundamentals of the X’s and O’s.  I do know that fans who are proud of the effort and are looking for positives to build on are not part of the problem and the fact they take that approach does not mean they are satisfied with anything less than championship results.  I would also suggest those who only focus on the negatives are not part of the solution. We would all like to move this and all of our programs forward overnight. In the meantime there is no reason to turn on each other. I saw a relatively young FB team take on one of the top FCS teams in the country yesterday and give them all they could handle. A pick 6, a key fumble, 5 missed tackles on a punt return, and poor coverage on an on side kick were 4 plays that made the difference in my mind. We may or may not make the playoffs this year. I think we need to run the table. Their isn’t a weak sister on the schedule. These games will be dog fights. Having said that I think this staff has slowly improved our depth and talent. I don’t like every call but I’m not at practice and I don’t review film. Even if I did we have guys on this staff who do that and do that better than I. The people who will make the decisions regarding staff are not posting on this medium. Just my opinion. Great effort yesterday, no quite good enough. Move on and get better. 

3rd quarter was trash. Blame starts and ends there. UND had a great opportunity, but needs to improve in order to cash in. Still opportunity this season, as you say. Players, coaches, and even the fan base needs to step up, support and expect a winning championship program, and put their money where their mouth is. That’s my 2 cents. Go Hawks! 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

First of all there is no such thing as moral victories. What fans opinions are on this medium doesn’t reflect where the program is going. Too many fans can’t seem to understand that there are a lot of UND fans who look for positives and want to build on that. There seem to be a number of fans who look for the negatives and their only solution is to fire people (coaches, AD, medical staff Kauk etc).  Most of us  fans have little depth of knowledge of even some of the basic fundamentals of the X’s and O’s.  I do know that fans who are proud of the effort and are looking for positives to build on are not part of the problem and the fact they take that approach does not mean they are satisfied with anything less than championship results.  I would also suggest those who only focus on the negatives are not part of the solution. We would all like to move this and all of our programs forward overnight. In the meantime there is no reason to turn on each other. I saw a relatively young FB team take on one of the top FCS teams in the country yesterday and give them all they could handle. A pick 6, a key fumble, 5 missed tackles on a punt return, and poor coverage on an on side kick were 4 plays that made the difference in my mind. We may or may not make the playoffs this year. I think we need to run the table. Their isn’t a weak sister on the schedule. These games will be dog fights. Having said that I think this staff has slowly improved our depth and talent. I don’t like every call but I’m not at practice and I don’t review film. Even if I did we have guys on this staff who do that and do that better than I. The people who will make the decisions regarding staff are not posting on this medium. Just my opinion. Great effort yesterday, no quite good enough. Move on and get better. 

Lots of great points as usual.  No other sport is as determined by coaching as football.  Luck can be involved in certain plays(sometimes momentum changers) but over time luck is made not found. 

I would argue the pick 6, the pick before the half, the punt return, the fumble in 2nd half and the Ko return had more to do with preparation than anything else.

Mid 2nd quarter I was telling myself we had finally “rounded the corner”, this morning a sober Hawk knows we haven’t…and quite frankly, that sucks.

If we win 3 of the next 4, we should be in the playoffs,  at this point that will not be easy, but IMO it is mandatory for the program, the fan base and recruiting.

Go Hawks!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lots of good points all around..

• The ability of SDSU to get pressure on Tommy while only rushing four.  Our o-line is young and Im super optimistic for their future but this one was a challenge.
  • Our inability to get pressure... and zero turnovers by the defense.. this is a trend of the last couple of games.. makes it very hard to win games.
  • 3 turnovers on our offense.. I would call them uncharacteristic.  That pick 6 was terrible terrible.. the pick to end the first half was a deflator.. the fumble was part of a 3rd quarter that we all need to forget.  Nearly impossible to win a game when you lose the turnover battle by so much.
  • I dont understand our first onside kick with nearly 7 minutes to go.. obviously SDSU wasnt ready.. called a timeout to get ready.. we still did it/turned out poorly.  It actually reminded me of the Bison game last year 4th down fake punt.. They were ready.. we still did it.. Both seem like we should have been able to react to that.
  • I was surprised by the lack of Quincy in the 2nd half.  Could have used him on the 3rd and 4th and short plays.
  • As much as we/I keep complaining about the defense.. the offense/special teams put them in some really challenging positions.. 
  • The good part of special teams.. zero missed extra points.. Im almost starting to relax during an extra point.  Great pressure during their punts.. We were close to blocking a couple more.
  • I hope #29 from SDSU ends up with explosive diarrhea for a month.. seemed totally classless.. I dont understand why he wasnt removed from the sideline as I thought that was the rule.. but it must not be anymore.

Im still optimistic for the rest of the year.. 3 very winnable games and finish the year with NDSU hopefully for our signature win running into the playoffs..  I love playing NDSU on the last game of the year in a game that hopefully means something for both teams!  that Southern Ilinois loss to USD did not help the Valley.  Im a bit concerned that 7-4 wont be good enough to get us into the playoffs and in reality.. If you lose to NDSU, SDSU and Southern Illinois Im not sure that we would deserve to be in the playoffs. 

My biggest disappointment is that it is incredibly difficult to build fan support with such an up and down team.. next weekend will likely be very poor attendance due to the hockey game in Vegas but.. Ill still be there as will some other die hard fans).  The team is consistently inconsistent.  People expecting a sellout yesterday need to realize that the casual fan wont jump on the bandwagon until we start consistently winning.  It would also really help if they could get the Alerus sound system figured out.. it was really terrible.. Our team entrance/song/video has about the worst organization/timing possible.. I think a 10th grade theatre intern could do a better job.. And the constant bleed through of various mikes during the game is really terrible.. I question the competency of whomever is running the show with respect the Alerus.  Its annoying and embarrassing when compared to many other places.  UND football and fans deserve better than that mediocre effort from the Alerus.

Finally to confirm... I hope #29 from SDSU ends up with explosive diarrhea for a month.. seemed totally classless.. I dont understand why he wasnt removed from the sideline as I thought that was the rule.. but it must not be anymore.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Our team entrance/song/video has about the worst organization/timing possible.. I think a 10th grade theatre intern could do a better job.. 

After the snafu yesterday during the intro video, I figured the team would !@#$ the bed - it was only fitting. And I agree with @geaux_sioux, the team takes on the attitude of the head coach. Bubba let his team down in the second half. Not all his fault, but certainly shares some of it. Comes with the title of head ball coach.