SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU @ UND 10/22/22

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

Finally to confirm... I hope #29 from SDSU ends up with explosive diarrhea for a month.. seemed totally classless.. I dont understand why he wasnt removed from the sideline as I thought that was the rule.. but it must not be anymore.

However, in the spring of 2020, the NCAA said players ejected for targeting don’t have to leave the sideline and can remain in the team area

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

First of all there is no such thing as moral victories. What fans opinions are on this medium doesn’t reflect where the program is going. Too many fans can’t seem to understand that there are a lot of UND fans who look for positives and want to build on that. There seem to be a number of fans who look for the negatives and their only solution is to fire people (coaches, AD, medical staff Kauk etc).  Most of us  fans have little depth of knowledge of even some of the basic fundamentals of the X’s and O’s.  I do know that fans who are proud of the effort and are looking for positives to build on are not part of the problem and the fact they take that approach does not mean they are satisfied with anything less than championship results.  I would also suggest those who only focus on the negatives are not part of the solution. We would all like to move this and all of our programs forward overnight. In the meantime there is no reason to turn on each other. I saw a relatively young FB team take on one of the top FCS teams in the country yesterday and give them all they could handle. A pick 6, a key fumble, 5 missed tackles on a punt return, and poor coverage on an on side kick were 4 plays that made the difference in my mind. We may or may not make the playoffs this year. I think we need to run the table. Their isn’t a weak sister on the schedule. These games will be dog fights. Having said that I think this staff has slowly improved our depth and talent. I don’t like every call but I’m not at practice and I don’t review film. Even if I did we have guys on this staff who do that and do that better than I. The people who will make the decisions regarding staff are not posting on this medium. Just my opinion. Great effort yesterday, no quite good enough. Move on and get better. 

Overnight? We have been Division I for 15 years! We didn't just move up yesterday. And I never said a word about firing anyone. If anything, UND has let down the athletic department by not giving the coaches what they need to be successful. That goes back to not having a plan to finance our programs at a Division I funding level. We are using a Division II funding model and it simply does not work.

Also, I am one person on this forum calling for an end to the hockey-only vs. everyone else nonsense. We are all on the same team here. We all want successful programs because they are a great marketing tool for the entire institution. And I don't think criticism is a sin. If anything, people venting on here shows they care about the programs and want them to be better. Apathy is the opposite of love, not hate.

Finally, winning an FCS title should be the goal. This is one of two sports on campus with a realistic chance to win an NCAA title. So yes, that is a point of emphasis for some people on here. I know some people think we should post nothing but positive things, but negatives need to be pointed out too. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

We have no idea what happened in the locker room at half time. None of the players listen to a coaches halftime interview. Most of the halftime is spent with position coaches, then OC or DC and lastly head coach. Virtually the entire time spent making corrections, and adjustments. Bubba can get pretty emotional and he can get his message across. He doesn’t put on a show for fans or media. Having said that I have no idea what was said at half time. 

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Overnight? We have been Division I for 15 years! We didn't just move up yesterday. And I never said a word about firing anyone. If anything, UND has let down the athletic department by not giving the coaches what they need to be successful. That goes back to not having a plan to finance our programs at a Division I funding level. We are using a Division II funding model and it simply does not work.

Also, I am one person on this forum calling for an end to the hockey-only vs. everyone else nonsense. We are all on the same team here. We all want successful programs because they are a great marketing tool for the entire institution. And I don't think criticism is a sin. If anything, people venting on here shows they care about the programs and want them to be better. Apathy is the opposite of love, not hate.

Finally, winning an FCS title should be the goal. This is one of two sports on campus with a realistic chance to win an NCAA title. So yes, that is a point of emphasis for some people on here. I know some people think we should post nothing but positive things, but negatives need to be pointed out too. Just my opinion.

Good points. I didn’t mention anyone person, I said some people. Nothing wrong with criticizing. I just strongly disagree that those who find positives are part of the so called problem. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Dustin said:

I’m still fairly high on this team, but the margin for error just got narrower. Need the next 3 no ifs, ands, or buts. Offense put up 28 on one of the best defenses, with all their misgivings aside.

If you looked at the schedule prior to the season we are on track to make the playoffs - just gotta take care of business. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If you looked at the schedule prior to the season we are on track to make the playoffs - just gotta take care of business. 

Right. I don’t think many would call the season (to this point) a failure, and being 4-3 at this point tracks with just about everyone’s preseason expectations.  As has been mentioned already, get the next 3, and we’re in business. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND defense in second half was outmatched, yes, but UND offense giving the ball away and UND defense not taking the ball away hurt.

I think it is as much on UND not getting the job done as it is SDSU being a talented team and getting the job done.  UND showed in the first half they have the players to get it done if they execute. Ultimately too many mistakes. Sloppy ugly second half performance. 

This is where I am at as well and felt the same way last year against NDSU.  UND beat themselves too many times and SDSU took full advantage of every mistake. 

41 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Right. I don’t think many would call the season (to this point) a failure, and being 4-3 at this point tracks with just about everyone’s preseason expectations.  As has been mentioned already, get the next 3, and we’re in business. 

Fair point. But when is the expectation going to be to win the MVFC? When does that time come?

Honestly, I think apathy is a component here. Not entirely, but it’s present. 

At some point, there’s no better time than the present. With Bubba for the past 9 seasons, we’ve just kept kicking the can down the road, waiting for someone to gift us rather than us taking it ourselves. 

• Downvote 1

My thoughts.....as others mentioned.....them getting so much pressure with just their front four really made us ineffective.  Although, not sure why we were so much more effective in the first half.  Obviously they made some adjustments, but would be curious what their major adjustment was.  I'm hoping this game eats at our players.......and makes us a better team the rest of the way.  Defense played better than expected, I'm not taking any moral victories but that was good to see because we've still got 4 games left, and we need to win at least 3 of them.  SDSU is just flat out a good team and deserves #1 ranking.  We had such a great start, but obviously way...way too many mistakes to beat a team as talented as they are.  

A few weeks ago I said we are for sure in at 7-4, but it has been such a weird season this year.  At the time us destroying Missouri State I thought was huge.....now it doesn't really mean much.  The NDSU game will probably have some impact on the selection committee, if we lose....is the game tight, or do we get bulled over right from the start.  Obviously I want to win, but we have to look like we belong when we play them the last week of the season. 

Agree with some of the others as far as my feelings about SDSU, watching that dude smile on the sidelines and their other personal fouls etc..  I might now be rooting for them to choke again, unless it's against NDSU.  

We'll see how the team responds next weekend when the crowd will be much smaller and not nearly the hype for the game, will the team be lethargic or will they come out fired up.  Don't let this SDSU loss beat you twice! 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, shep said:

Someone pointed out earlier this season that SDSU Coach Stig had about the same record as Bubba in about the same number of years.

Did I get that right?

You’re right. After his first 9 seasons (1997-2005) at SDSU, his best season was 8-3 in 1999.

Also, for what it’s worth, although SDSU has a very good team this year, I’m not sure copying them is the best blueprint. They’ve won just as many FCS national championships as UND football. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Fair point. But when is the expectation going to be to win the MVFC? When does that time come?

Technically, we already did, but I hear you.  Everyone wants to to win now. I honestly feel we are building towards a MVFC championship.  We are a bit young this year, but with so much returning, including a record holding / record breaking QB, next year might the best chance we’ve had in a long time. 

32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Technically, we already did, but I hear you.  Everyone wants to to win now. I honestly feel we are building towards a MVFC championship.  We are a bit young this year, but with so much returning, including a record holding / record breaking QB, next year might the best chance we’ve had in a long time. 

That Covid-19 season was a unique one. Very unfortunate UND didn’t carry over the momentum to the 2021 fall season, considering majority of team returned. In my opinion, that was an absolute travesty in terms of coaching blunders. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

in section 217 there was a drunk sdac fan....late in the game after a big first down for sdac he yelled "first down...you can all sit down now"...he didn't see a 300lb siouxfan that had been standng for a long time about 20 feet to his left....i think i heard the big guy ask if that meant him too...i think that sdac quickly told him he could keep standing....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That Covid-19 season was a unique one. Very unfortunate UND didn’t carry over the momentum to the 2021 fall season, considering majority of team returned. In my opinion, that was an absolute travesty in terms of coaching blunders. 

If I remember correctly, 2 OLineman decided not to come back for their extra fall season, plus Hergel had left as well.  Losing those 3 starters on the OL had a huge impact, we could not gain a yard on the ground when we needed to. We probably averaged -1 yard on 2nd and short running plays.  We were in all of the games, but lost too many of them....fumbles etc..  

29 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

If I remember correctly, 2 OLineman decided not to come back for their extra fall season, plus Hergel had left as well.  Losing those 3 starters on the OL had a huge impact, we could not gain a yard on the ground when we needed to. We probably averaged -1 yard on 2nd and short running plays.  We were in all of the games, but lost too many of them....fumbles etc..  

Going from 5-2 (spring 2021) to 5-6 (fall 2021) was a major momentum killer for the program. Can’t blame that all on 3 players not returning, particularly when UND still had a future NFL offensive lineman on the team.

Bubba did the same thing from 2016 to 2017. Keeps sending UND football backwards and is why the program fails to ascend. 

Leadership is flawed for UND football. Not to the level it needs to be to get UND from a contender to a champion. 

• Downvote 1

20 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We have no idea what happened in the locker room at half time. None of the players listen to a coaches halftime interview. Most of the halftime is spent with position coaches, then OC or DC and lastly head coach. Virtually the entire time spent making corrections, and adjustments. Bubba can get pretty emotional and he can get his message across. He doesn’t put on a show for fans or media. Having said that I have no idea what was said at half time. 

I’m not saying they listen to the halftime interview, I’ve been in those halftime locker rooms before. However, when I heard his halftime interview I was like, “oh boy…” he sounded defeated. Idk what he said in the locker room at the half but players can pick up on their coaches energy and if brought any of that into the locker room at halftime it certainly showed in the 3rd quarter. What I’m getting at is I question his psychological acumen and ability to craft anything into a positive to keep the team confident and locked in. This is purely speculation based on his body language and the team results btw.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2