SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU @ UND 10/22/22

SiouxFan100

36 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s like clockwork. Every time there is a game to take things to the next level momentum wise we !@#$ the bed. It’s been 10 years straight of that. 

That’s the hardest part,  it’s the same thing every year.  Get to the moment of truth, the moment to truly take the next step, and then we don’t take it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

That’s the hardest part,  it’s the same thing every year.  Get to the moment of truth, the moment to truly take the next step, and then we don’t take it.  

And when things like this are brought up we are accused of being Debbie downers of the program 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Kab said:

And when things like this are brought up we are accused of being Debbie downers of the program 

I love Bubba, he is a great man.  Realistically, after 10 years, we are lying to ourselves thinking this program is going to ever be better than 5-6, 6-5 or 7-4.  I admit, after the Missouri State and Youngstown wins, I was lying to myself again.  I'll be there Saturday cheering on my team, but at some point I want to be SDSU/NDSU, when it comes to FCS football.

The Hawk fan in me says we will win the next 3 and then play a good game in Fargo and possibly come out with a win but at the least, a playoff berth.  The realist in me says we will lose at least one of the next 3, and then lose in Fargo and then start convincing ourselves next season will be different.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Russ captures the best photos.  We better check injury report after this play.

In that still, the punter’s foot looks like it’s in worse shape than Coley’s boys.  At least they’re protected.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s like clockwork. Every time there is a game to take things to the next level momentum wise we !@#$ the bed. It’s been 10 years straight of that. 

I get scared when the crowd gets too loud on 3rd and long due to our history of giving up big plays when the fans are actually interested.

• Upvote 1

Finally went back and watched the Pick 6 play.  Yeah...wow what a mess up by the WR who should have blocked the guy right in front of him.  That was not a bad decision by Tommy, if the WR blocks that guy just a little we get 4-5 yards on that play.  

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Seems pretty definitive here that it was just a mental gaffe

EE651CE1-8CB3-4157-BC29-6995353DAD4F.jpeg

your forgetting that bubba and co are very unpredictable at times....going for on your own 25 when leading....punting when down 3 scores in a playoff game with 7 minutes remaining......maybe he was told to block differently?  seems odd that he would "choose" to block down to the other guy instead of the guy in front of him...but "odd" describes bubba and the crew sometimes....those wtf moments were used

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

your forgetting that bubba and co are very unpredictable at times....going for on your own 25 when leading....punting when down 3 scores in a playoff game with 7 minutes remaining......maybe he was told to block differently?  seems odd that he would "choose" to block down to the other guy instead of the guy in front of him...but "odd" describes bubba and the crew sometimes....those wtf moments were used

I'm not an esteemed football mind, but I'm willing to guess that this play (and many many others) are schemed up to be blocked differently based on defensive alignment.  The kid may have missed a signal or misread the defense, and that breakdown caused what should have been a routine "run game extension" type of play to be a pick 6.  Unfortunate...but those things happen and you have to bounce back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND Football 360 website/podcast is appropriately named.  Everytime we have agame like this our heads are spiinning 360 degrees questioning the team, the season, head coach, state or the program, etc!  

und football 180 more like it

image.thumb.png.20f5bf68e05770fc180d419049a63e7e.png

Man when did the MVFC get so damned soft?!?!  I was in the heart of it...Never heard one bad thing said...just what I consider to be normal smack talk!  SDSU bench talked it back after they were winning (as is their right in my book - if you're gonna dish it you better be able to take it).  Spaulding caught some crap for the ejection AND more specifically the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty...that comes with the territory in my opinion!  Classic deflection to attempt to put it on the fans.  The smack talk is normal...the actions on the field were pretty poor optics, and it would seem to be a good teaching moment for Coach Stig. 

• Upvote 4

Three plays:
- the pick 6
- the Janke punt return
- the forced fumble on UND29

Were those UND mistakes, or championship plays made by a championship caliber team? 

To take the next step you need to be shown what it looks like. We were shown.

What comes next is: What does UND do with it. Firstly, it must not regress from the team the 4-2 team that took the field. Next, it must build off what was learned (the hard way) by the 4-3 team that left the field. Do both, and it's a step closer to where we all want them to be. 

But the first step is no regression this week. 

Beat ACU. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Idk how else to say this, no. 

• Upvote 2