SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph Fan Engagement

SiouxForever

On 8/10/2022 at 9:04 AM, Langster019 said:

Probably going to be an unpopular take here. At what point did hockey games need to have fan engagement to keep you entertained? Aren’t we all there for the game? Why rely so much on students for chants? You’re adults. If you want chants, start them yourself. 

The commercial-less 3rd period is about the only thing stated that would be an improvement IMO. Beyond that, I go for the game. Don’t really care or let what music is playing or where the students are have an effect on my game experience. If they win, good. If they lose, not as good. Gimme a beer. A chair. And the game. Some of these gripes seem quite silly. 

So for you the REA is a very wide screen TV? 

On 8/10/2022 at 8:04 AM, Langster019 said:

Probably going to be an unpopular take here. At what point did hockey games need to have fan engagement to keep you entertained? Aren’t we all there for the game? Why rely so much on students for chants? You’re adults. If you want chants, start them yourself. 

The commercial-less 3rd period is about the only thing stated that would be an improvement IMO. Beyond that, I go for the game. Don’t really care or let what music is playing or where the students are have an effect on my game experience. If they win, good. If they lose, not as good. Gimme a beer. A chair. And the game. Some of these gripes seem quite silly. 

I’m with you 100%

4 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I go for what’s on the ice, plain and simple. Couldn’t care less about music, , jumbo tron promos, etc in between stoppages. 

I’m talking strictly during the game (crowd) or after whistle or longer timeouts etc. 

Always room for improvement.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 8:04 AM, Langster019 said:

I agree the piped in crap sucks, but if I had to answer your question, I'd say when they changed the rules and essentially took hitting out of the game.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

alot of these don't matter if the not fun police are still outnumbering the fans 10-1....if your under 21 and you go to these games and god forbid you've had one or two beers or wine coolers the no fun police at the ralph and the alerus are itching to get these young people minor's and whatnot....

until this/that changes i think attendance is gonna keep suffering.

Last time I knew, you had to be 21 to buy/drink alcohol. Just from reading some of your post here, you seem to be a strong supporter of underage drinking. While I will admit, one cannot stop those who are underage from doing it if they choose to do so, if they, or anyone, even over 21 are acting a fool, and drunk, they SHOULD BE  reported. Not just at the Ralph, but at ANY sporting event. 

I will add, that even bringing up the under 21 drinking and having fun, has NOTHING to do with the question at hand. the student section represents less than 5% or so of the attendance, (not to mention, it can be a violation of the student code of conduct), What the question refers to, is, what can the University do for the 95% paying full price for tickets, as well as yearly booster fees for the seats, to become more engaging. 

Fun can be defined in many ways by different people. I think one issue (even tho I have not been to a game at the new Ralph, since it was built, but have taken tours, and seen people post videos of games there.) is that since it was built, the Ralph, has been on the forefront of fan involvement, pushing the edge every time they upgrade something. (Many things they have had for years at the Ralph, I have just recently seen implemented here in Nebraska at Football games.) But, on the same token, there can also be TOO MUCH, fan involvement as well. As well as, some fans not being satisfied  

Some of the things I have read here on this post I agree with are:

1. Pregame tailgating. - (Here in Nebraska for football games, there are multiple private lots that host pregame tailgates. Its a little hard to do that on a friday night before a weekend series tho. None of these are run by the school, but the lot themselves.) I think another thing that adds to this a little, is that there is NO "bar scene" strip very close to the arena, mainly homes and businesses.) 

2. Unified cheer to get all students and fans engaged. - There are several cheers that I know of for UND, I have seen that there are at times different ones used for different sports tho, so yes, maybe this makes sense.

3. A green out and not a white out. - (I like this. Too many schools use white out)

4. Students behind the UND shoots twice goal. - Move the current end season ticket holders to center ice at same tix cost and booster fee. (grandfathered) If there is an issue with suites/ect, remove a row or two below these to alleviate the issue. Also, when students are moved to the end, swap out the coushy seats, for nice bleacher seats. 

Some of the things I have read here on this post I disagree with are:

1. 3rd period be corporate sponsored to be "commercial free". - Will never happen! Games are overall on Midco Sports, NCHC.TV, and Cable Sports Networks. Because of this, they have to do commercials with whomever is broadcasting the game. As far as in arena, maybe highlights, university news, player highlights ect can be run.

2. The people staring at their phones during game action is really disheartening. - (Unfortunately, not much can be done here. Far too many people with attention issues these days. Only option is to install shockers in the seats, and zap them when you see them on their phones.)

3. Different Music. - Unfortunately, this is a licensing issue, There are specific music sets authorized for different sports by the NCAA, thats why you hear a lot of the same music at different rinks.

Just a few ideas - Not sure if they do it already or not

1. Cooperate fan of the day seat upgrade with past player

2. During breaks, have someone use an air cannon to shoot shirts and stuff into the crowd.

- Just a few thoughts.

51 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

You did not really just say change to bleacher seats did you?!? I can't even take the rest of the post seriously 

A lot of rinks have bleacher seating only in the student section! it allows them to pack more students into that section. never would i mean to turn all seating into bleachers. I mean,if they are standing the entire time, and paying far less for tickets, to me makes sense for those seats.

Bu if the arena is used for concerts outside the games, then removing then not feasible.

16 minutes ago, Zypher said:

A lot of rinks have bleacher seating only in the student section! it allows them to pack more students into that section. never would i mean to turn all seating into bleachers. I mean,if they are standing the entire time, and paying far less for tickets, to me makes sense for those seats.

Bu if the arena is used for concerts outside the games, then removing then not feasible.

The Ralph is used to many other events besides hockey.  There is no way they are putting in bleacher seats.  

20 hours ago, Zypher said:

Last time I knew, you had to be 21 to buy/drink alcohol. Just from reading some of your post here, you seem to be a strong supporter of underage drinking. While I will admit, one cannot stop those who are underage from doing it if they choose to do so, if they, or anyone, even over 21 are acting a fool, and drunk, they SHOULD BE  reported. Not just at the Ralph, but at ANY sporting event. 

I will add, that even bringing up the under 21 drinking and having fun, has NOTHING to do with the question at hand. the student section represents less than 5% or so of the attendance, (not to mention, it can be a violation of the student code of conduct), What the question refers to, is, what can the University do for the 95% paying full price for tickets, as well as yearly booster fees for the seats, to become more engaging. 

Fun can be defined in many ways by different people. I think one issue (even tho I have not been to a game at the new Ralph, since it was built, but have taken tours, and seen people post videos of games there.) is that since it was built, the Ralph, has been on the forefront of fan involvement, pushing the edge every time they upgrade something. (Many things they have had for years at the Ralph, I have just recently seen implemented here in Nebraska at Football games.) But, on the same token, there can also be TOO MUCH, fan involvement as well. As well as, some fans not being satisfied  

Some of the things I have read here on this post I agree with are:

1. Pregame tailgating. - (Here in Nebraska for football games, there are multiple private lots that host pregame tailgates. Its a little hard to do that on a friday night before a weekend series tho. None of these are run by the school, but the lot themselves.) I think another thing that adds to this a little, is that there is NO "bar scene" strip very close to the arena, mainly homes and businesses.) 

2. Unified cheer to get all students and fans engaged. - There are several cheers that I know of for UND, I have seen that there are at times different ones used for different sports tho, so yes, maybe this makes sense.

3. A green out and not a white out. - (I like this. Too many schools use white out)

4. Students behind the UND shoots twice goal. - Move the current end season ticket holders to center ice at same tix cost and booster fee. (grandfathered) If there is an issue with suites/ect, remove a row or two below these to alleviate the issue. Also, when students are moved to the end, swap out the coushy seats, for nice bleacher seats. 

1. 3rd period be corporate sponsored to be "commercial free". - Will never happen! Games are overall on Midco Sports, NCHC.TV, and Cable Sports Networks. Because of this, they have to do commercials with whomever is broadcasting the game. As far as in arena, maybe highlights, university news, player highlights ect can be run.

2. The people staring at their phones during game action is really disheartening. - (Unfortunately, not much can be done here. Far too many people with attention issues these days. Only option is to install shockers in the seats, and zap them when you see them on their phones.)

3. Different Music. - Unfortunately, this is a licensing issue, There are specific music sets authorized for different sports by the NCAA, thats why you hear a lot of the same music at different rinks.

Just a few ideas - Not sure if they do it already or not

1. Cooperate fan of the day seat upgrade with past player

2. During breaks, have someone use an air cannon to shoot shirts and stuff into the crowd.

- Just a few thoughts.

There's alot of "they should build roller rinks to give kids something to do" energy in this post.

But the students behind goalie thing is a legit need... 

but bleachers? holy hell

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if hockey has transitioned to paperless game programs, but have an actual old school game program so people don't have to pull out their phone in order to learn about the players/teams, or to do something as simple as check a guys number.  Once that phone gets pulled out, it's difficult for everyone to put it down - might as well check on the scores of other games, could see a work email, wife/husband texted you from home, etc..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zypher said:

So how do other rinks have more up-to-date songs while we're unironically stuck in the early 00s?

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So how do other rinks have more up-to-date songs while we're unironically stuck in the early 00s?

Hey, there are things that are simply NOT talked about here! And we should NEVER ask why! Because questioning the establishment is bad manners and will scare off potential recruits and their families who may be reading this! (extreme sarcasm) :silly::p:glare:

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I'm not sure if hockey has transitioned to paperless game programs, but have an actual old school game program so people don't have to pull out their phone in order to learn about the players/teams, or to do something as simple as check a guys number.  Once that phone gets pulled out, it's difficult for everyone to put it down - might as well check on the scores of other games, could see a work email, wife/husband texted you from home, etc..

Tindergram....

it's all tindergram and onlyhub for the kids these days

• Upvote 2