SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph Fan Engagement

SiouxForever

The Ralph IMO has lost its "Brand" in the ND community. Still the best college hockey arena, no doubt, but in the first 10-15 years they were providing a great entertainment venue. They had the Kansas basketball game, the Agassiz tennis match, top rank boxing,  2 or 3 concerts a year, world curling, world juniors, globe trotters, preseason NHL games, I could go on and on, it was what was happening in the RRV.  Now it seems like every concert goes to the Alerus center, which is fine, works for GF, but the Ralph has stopped bringing good events.  What happened? 

29 minutes ago, ToDaClub said:

The Ralph IMO has lost its "Brand" in the ND community. Still the best college hockey arena, no doubt, but in the first 10-15 years they were providing a great entertainment venue. They had the Kansas basketball game, the Agassiz tennis match, top rank boxing,  2 or 3 concerts a year, world curling, world juniors, globe trotters, preseason NHL games, I could go on and on, it was what was happening in the RRV.  Now it seems like every concert goes to the Alerus center, which is fine, works for GF, but the Ralph has stopped bringing good events.  What happened? 

semrau leaving?

Better the Alerus Center does better for the city - the Ralph is doing fine on their own with their selected events.  I see the Al has put out a pre-emptive "Here's what you need to know before the Alan Jackson Concert" with suggestions and plans how to attend a huge concert in GF with options and new ideas to hopefully AVOID all the constant bitching and whining - plan ahead?   What an idea!  Take heart Alerus Concertgoers - the solution is at hand!

PS - It's still going to take half an hour to more than an hour to get out of the parking lot - DEAL WITH IT!  Hide a couple beers in a cooler in the car and take your time leaving.  There's no rush.  You know BY NOW it's going to take some time so factor that in.  The best concert experience is all about planning:-)

Enjoy the show!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

STUDENTS BEHIND

OPPOSING GOALIE !!!!!!!

Get the greek houses Buy or sponor the suites above them.

Now it's a party.

That drives up demand for the rest of the suite sponsorships, opens more prime ice seating for season ticket holders, pacifies the center ice suites.

Greater atmosphere, potentially higher revenues.

Use those revenues to invest in on ice projection

Never understood why this wasn't done when the building opened, better to stand and rattle the goalie for 40 minutes instead of chirping someone at the penalty box for 2 minutes at a time.

It would have been so cool and really would have brought an electric student section vibe to the REA... but alas. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Never understood why this wasn't done when the building opened, better to stand and rattle the goalie for 40 minutes instead of chirping someone at the penalty box for 2 minutes at a time.

It would have been so cool and really would have brought an electric student section vibe to the REA... but alas. 

Ralph was pretty adamant that the students have some of the best seats in the building, which is how they ended up with a couple at center ice behind the penalty box. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Ralph was pretty adamant that the students have some of the best seats in the building, which is how they ended up with a couple at center ice behind the penalty box. 

Ralph was also pretty adamant about the traditions and cultures too like hmmmm lemme think…….. the sioux logo!!!! how did that work out for him?

he also probably wouldnt be too pleased with how the student section is policed and force to sit down! enough traditions have been changed at UND that why not fix this issue by putting the students in the corner! The students would rather stand and be rowdy than being able to chip the penalty box. This change might actually bring back excitement to the Ralph!

17 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Ralph was also pretty adamant about the traditions and cultures too like hmmmm lemme think…….. the sioux logo!!!! how did that work out for him?

he also probably wouldnt be too pleased with how the student section is policed and force to sit down! enough traditions have been changed at UND that why not fix this issue by putting the students in the corner! The students would rather stand and be rowdy than being able to chip the penalty box. This change might actually bring back excitement to the Ralph!

Well, the Sioux logo is still all over the building, so I guess that worked out for him OK?

I'm not going to argue the rest, just pointing out why the student's section is at center ice and not in one of the ends.

• Upvote 3

1. More band would be nice, but in order for them to find their creativeness (like Wisconsin and Tech)....we are going to have to not be the PC police with them.  They would love to do stuff like that, but get in trouble when they try.

2.  The student body argued every year that I was at UND to move to behind the goalie.  We got shot down every time not by the Ralph, but by the athletic department.  The excuse given was always that season ticket holders didn't want to give up their spots for the students.

3.  The unified cheers approved by the athletic dept/PC police SUCK.  Some of the best cheers from when I was in school got a little non-PC.  The fact that we treat the college students like five year olds that need to hold our hands while crossing the road is ridiculous.  Let them cheer how they want.  IF their behavior becomes a problem, then address it.  However, make it an actual problem.  The college student saying one four letter word or spelling sex and yelling score score score is not a behavioral problem.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

1. More band would be nice, but in order for them to find their creativeness (like Wisconsin and Tech)....we are going to have to not be the PC police with them.  They would love to do stuff like that, but get in trouble when they try.

2.  The student body argued every year that I was at UND to move to behind the goalie.  We got shot down every time not by the Ralph, but by the athletic department.  The excuse given was always that season ticket holders didn't want to give up their spots for the students.

3.  The unified cheers approved by the athletic dept/PC police SUCK.  Some of the best cheers from when I was in school got a little non-PC.  The fact that we treat the college students like five year olds that need to hold our hands while crossing the road is ridiculous.  Let them cheer how they want.  IF their behavior becomes a problem, then address it.  However, make it an actual problem.  The college student saying one four letter word or spelling sex and yelling score score score is not a behavioral problem.

I would gladly move my seats if it made the arena a better home ice advantage.

• Like 1

Lot of great opinions I've read so far.  I was just at the Herb Brooks Arena in St. Cloud and I was told so many things wrong with that rink (boards are original, lighting, seating, bathrooms, etc).....

Got a chance to walk on the ice and stand in the opposing goaltender's crease.  Looked to my right, and the student section is right on top of you.....right where it's supposed to be.

• Upvote 4

From what I know, a lot of the issues raised with the students and where they sat (or stood) had to do with suite owners.  If the students were standing, people sitting in the suites, below the glass doors of the suite, could not see.  If the architects were to get a mulligan on the design, they would have built up the suites another foot or two higher. 

5 hours ago, ToDaClub said:

From what I know, a lot of the issues raised with the students and where they sat (or stood) had to do with suite owners.  If the students were standing, people sitting in the suites, below the glass doors of the suite, could not see.  If the architects were to get a mulligan on the design, they would have built up the suites another foot or two higher. 

Exactly this - I'd love for the students to be allowed and have fun but no way to suite owners want to have to stand all game to see - an obvious oversight that no one realized until after the arena opened.  At a minimum we need to stop over-policing the students and let them be unless there is a problem and organize some chants and cheers that everyone can get behind.  And enough with the enthusiasm killing ads during every break.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Is the view from the suites that bad when the students stand?  I've been in a suite a dozen or so times in the last few years and I don't recall issues with sightlines when fans stood at the end of the game. 

If you're in a suite between the blue line and the corner of the rink and students are standing in the middle of the rink, you can't see very much of what's going on at the opposite end. (if you are sitting in the seats below the glass.) If your sitting in the bar stools behind the glass, there's no site line problem. 

33 minutes ago, ToDaClub said:

If you're in a suite between the blue line and the corner of the rink and students are standing in the middle of the rink, you can't see very much of what's going on at the opposite end. (if you are sitting in the seats below the glass.) If your sitting in the bar stools behind the glass, there's no site line problem. 

So are you saying it wouldn't be as bad if students were on the ends of the rink? :)