SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

23 hours ago, N of GF said:

Okay, could be. The quotes I posted are from the article that Oxbow posted and commented on, and Wilbur replied to.

The quotes you posted do sound better, but I wouldn't say that Berry has never called a guy out for playing a bad period. Especially when he can say that the player turned it around and finished the game strong. Very standard 'coach talk' about in-game adjustments. I guess I don't have a specific example, so maybe I'm wrong.

It’s almost ironic that we’re mentioning @Oxbow6 and player/coach quotes…given some semi-recent players paying close attention to his! 

#FerDaOxbow6 

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-fourth-line-production-making-for-tough-lineup-decisions?fbclid=IwAR3lLlHUuHr4ihKbyFkWhTidrPgAB0NPtSzee0TJ2H59nSHYVjjD-8CTMlY

UND did something Saturday night that you won't often see in college hockey.

It scratched four NHL draft picks.

There's no doubt the coaching staff wants to work them in, but it's becoming difficult to make lineup decisions — especially up front — because UND is getting outstanding production from its fourth line.

"I love that kid," Berry said. "At the end of the day, he takes whatever is given to him. Both nights, he was labeled as the 13th forward. He just takes a few shifts and shows the coaching staff he's dependable, reliable and effective. And you have to play him. He was huge. In that second period, he got a goal and had an assist. He spark-plugged our team. You need that. It's encouraging because he's only a freshman. I'm glad he's going to be around for a while."

UND scratched Buffalo Sabres draft pick Matteo Costantini and Vancouver Canucks draft pick Jackson Kunz for the series finale. Costantini entered the weekend on a roll, scoring an overtime winner in an exhibition against the U.S. Under-18 Team on New Year's Eve.

Berry acknowledged it's tough for players with high-end potential to sit out.

"It is, it really is," Berry said. "But they agreed to come to North Dakota because they're all team-first. I think, at the end of the day, I think they know they have to get better in a few different areas, as well as the rest of our team here. But they have to be patient to know they are going to get another opportunity. That's how we've had success here. Nobody's bigger than the program. And it's when you get your opportunity, you have to do it.

• Upvote 4

On 1/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, brianvf said:

I think people were more referencing this article and the quotes in it:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/eight-takeaways-from-unds-exhibition-victory-over-the-u-s-under-18-team

Where he said this about OwenMc:

We don't normally see Berry single out specific players for issues like that.

Do you know for a fact he doesn’t call players out? Berry chooses not to air his grievances in public. The rough conversations happen out of the public eye. I’ve got that from players I interviewed in the past. I think it’s a smart tactic. Would like him to blast his players in public. That doesn’t really work with todays players. It’s a whole new world compared the old days when the Gen-X-ers played. What worked for us doesn’t necessarily work today. 

35 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Berry mentioned the players that were drafted not playing. My question is what have those drafted players done to earn a spot in the lineup? They’ve been invisible on the score sheets this year. Constantini, has what, two points? And a in drafted player like Ness has more goals do we sit him over the others? 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Berry mentioned the players that were drafted not playing. My question is what have those drafted players done to earn a spot in the lineup? They’ve been invisible on the score sheets this year. Constantini, has what, two points? And a in drafted player like Ness has more goals do we sit him over the others? 

I'm interested in your take on this question. Not calling out any player by name, but do you think there is anyone who is currently considered a lock to be in the lineup that you question why they are? To me, there are a handful of "locks" that I don't necessarily see the difference between them are others that are in / out of the lineup.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm interested in your take on this question. Not calling out any player by name, but do you think there is anyone who is currently considered a lock to be in the lineup that you question why they are? To me, there are a handful of "locks" that I don't necessarily see the difference between them are others that are in / out of the lineup.  

Speculating here, but I'm guessing while you are not seeing a difference in practice there may be a difference in the weight room, in practice, etc.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's a fair question: I’ve seen people say that person should be playing because their drafted. I disagree with the concept. For example Kunz and Costantini were mentioned. From what I seen neither have given the coaching staff a reason to keep them in the lineup. I honestly, can't understand why Matteo (sp) isn't producing. He had 20 points his freshmen year. I was ready to put him on a milk carton. It's about numbers and winning hockey games. 

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

I’ve seen people say that person should be playing because their drafted. I disagree with the concept. Kunz and Costantini have given the coaching staff a reason to keep them in the lineup. 

Kunz was a top line guy at one point this season. Constantini has more upside than half the forwards and has played well at times. Other are consistently in the lineup just grinding away with little risk but almost no reward. Strinden better not sit anymore unless hurt.

22 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Speculating here, but I'm guessing while you are not seeing a difference in practice there may be a difference in the weight room, in practice, etc.

That philosophy follows the xG nonsense too IMO.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-still-searching-for-a-goaltender-to-take-the-reins

UND will head into a rematch with Western Michigan, still the nation's top-scoring team, this weekend with a team save percentage of .873 — tied with Air Force for the worst mark in the country. It has been 20 years since UND finished a season with a team save percentage below .894.

Kleven and Strinden take home weekly honors:

UND junior Tyler Kleven is the NCHC defenseman of the week after scoring four goals, including two game-winners against Lindenwood. The former Fargo Davies blue liner has five goals and 11 points this season.

UND freshman Ben Strinden is the NCHC rookie of the week after a three-point weekend. Strinden had an assist in Friday's series opener and scored a goal and tallied an assist Saturday. The former Fargo South-Shanley player has six points on the season.

Today's games move UND up to #23 in the PWR.
The comeback begins.  ;) 

Next weekend won't help much if we sweep other than get us back above .500.
If we lose a game or two to #36 UMD, however, will only drill us down even more spots.

The hole is just too big at this point.  Pulling out a win last night would've done wonders.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Western's last goal: 

Four white shirts outside and below the dot.
One lonely black shirt in the mid slot. 
One goalie on the clothesline. 

Whose man was it?
Do they no longer teach team defensive zone coverage? 

Same problem Squirt teams have. Everyone goes to the puck. 

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

The comeback begins.  ;) 

If we lose a game or two to #36 UMD, however, will only drill us down even more spots.

The hole is just too big at this point.  Pulling out a win last night would've done wonders.

How dare Sandy be 36 -time to burn that place down

13 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Same problem Squirt teams have. Everyone goes to the puck. 

That make things a little better knowing we have a roster full of squirts playing D1 hockey because if we had a roster full of D1 players making these mistakes we would have some issues:D

• Upvote 1

UND currrently 7th in the NCHC standings.  8 points out for home ice.  Next two series are against #6 UMD and at #8 Miami.  We then end the year with Series against the top 4 teams in the league.  Now playing those teams can help us catch up in the standins to secure home ice pretty quick.  But this team has to get at minimum 9 points over the next two weekends to even put us in a position a chance fro home ice.  

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

The comeback begins.  ;) 

At one point last weekend, Providence went from 20 to 12 in the pairwise, so it is possible to move up with a winning streak.  Unfortunately, they can't slip against teams like Miami, and need to do well against St. Cloud and Denver when they have the opportunity.