SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I’m not 100% but I think Calder’s decision to transfer was strictly an academic decision. Something about his degree / major not being available at und. 

It was a coaches decision. 

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Since game outcomes seems to mean very little,  especially this weekend with both teams...  will we see some fights?  Berry and Sandy in a tunnel would be epic.

I definitely could see Berry and Sandy fighting this weekend... especially if one squirted water at the other;)

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Calder graduated from UND in the spring so I am going to say that’s not true. I know he came to UND from Lake State and that might have been an academic choice because Lake State doesn’t have graduate degree programs and he was almost done with his finance degree when he got to UND. He needed a school with a graduate program if he was going to do a 5th year. 

Gotcha. Maybe it was the transfer to und that made me think of that. 

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

On this weeks UND Hockey pod, the consensus between those three is you need to pick a goalie and have it be his net the rest of the year. If he has a tough night, pull him, but go back to him the following night. If Berry and the coaching staff followed this at the beginning of the season, I think we're looking at a much brighter picture right now. This isn't a hindsight is 20/20, they've mismanaged the goalie situation this year. I felt we had a large enough sample size last year to know Hellsten is not a guy you can count on. 

Here's to DeRidder being that guy (which is clear, since he's the only proven D1 goalie on roster).  

I think this was the team's intention from the drop, but frankly, DeRidder just didn't play well enough. He's clearly got the talent to be a solid tendy in NCAA. Just gotta get it done. I absolutely think he should and will get the first opportunity and let's let him ride!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/1/20/mens-hockey-hawk-ey-talk-with-virg-foss-flying-over-highway-2-not-anymore.aspx

Crazy story from Virg Foss.  Man, would love to just sit down with him for a few hours and hear the stories that he could tell.

Great story!

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/1/20/mens-hockey-hawk-ey-talk-with-virg-foss-flying-over-highway-2-not-anymore.aspx

Crazy story from Virg Foss.  Man, would love to just sit down with him for a few hours and hear the stories that he could tell.

While living in Wisconsin, I once took a then-13-year-old daughter to a Sioux home game against Mankato very close to the time Ralph passed.   Each ticket holder found a new copy of Virg's Fight on Sioux in their seat.   Special treat.   Virg has a huge fund of Sioux hockey knowledge.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I don't think you have to worry about that...most of the time UND players don't even win the Hobey when they do deserve it.  ;) 

Hobey has become somewhat of a joke to me. I think it started in 2016 when UND had no top 10 finalists and they gave it to Jimmy Vesey. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

The only time we should mention him should be in reference to his loss against UND in the 2001 NCAA semi-final, a day before his robbery of Panzer was announced.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/0001/boxes/mmsundk1.a05

The absolute best part of that entire day was listening to the announcers talk about how he was so good that his teammates couldn't even score on him in practice...and then watching Spiewak score literally a minute into the game.  :D

Thanks for a great memory!  (I needed one today.) 

• Like 1