SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND - NCHC Quarters, Game 2

stoneySIOUX

Not a big fan of the sit back and lock it down philosophy. Also not a fan of passively giving the other team the zone and then remaining passive.  That has hurt us several times already, and I could envision a circumstance like that ending our season and left wondering why we didn’t remain aggressive with at least one guy on the forecheck.  A win is a win, but for us to let a less talented team take it to us the last period, doesn’t bode as well with far more talented teams we are likely to meet from here on out.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

Not a big fan of the sit back and lock it down philosophy. Also not a fan of passively giving the other team the zone and then remaining passive.  That has hurt us several times already, and I could envision a circumstance like that ending our season and left wondering why we didn’t remain aggressive with at least one guy on the forecheck.  A win is a win, but for us to let a less talented team take it to us the last period, doesn’t bode as well with far more talented teams we are likely to meet from here on out.

This team has not been very good at the end of games when the other team pulls their goalie. They have just had trouble getting the puck out of the zone and/or EN goal, which has come back to haunt them. The PK this weekend was subpar and it will really burn us in the post season if we don’t make some adjustments. Let’s hope the boys can get a little healed up and we can get a nice streak going in St. Paul. 

9 minutes ago, dden3 said:

I can’t see Kleven sticking around another year with the kind of officiating he has faced   

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised if both Sanderson and Kleven leave, even if Kleven leaves for just an AHL job.
Could he benefit from another year at UND?  Absolutely.
But his style of play and big hits doesn't sit well with NCHC officiating, it seems.

• Upvote 2

I'll take full responsibility for the end.  I told my best friend that I was at the game with the only way CC gets a chance to tie this up is a late penalty on us.  5x5 they weren't going to generate anything, and they were fine with playing 4 guys back and watching us put a guy 5 feet from their blue line and deflecting pucks deep on outlets from our d men.

On a side note, #1 star was Driscoll because of his work at the end.  Guy absolutely battled to keep the puck out.  

Love Peter Thome.  Great person, won some games for us, but is the team in this position with him in the net?

Just got home from the game.  It was fun.  But the drive home was not.  Many many accidents on the interstate from Grand Forks going south.  Many vehicles in the ditch with some of them rolled over and lying on the roof.  Traffic was moving well below the speed limit and in the area of accidents was down to 5 mph.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Just got home from the game.  It was fun.  But the drive home was not.  Many many accidents on the interstate from Grand Forks going south.  Many vehicles in the ditch with some of them rolled over and lying on the roof.  Traffic was moving well below the speed limit and in the area of accidents was down to 5 mph.

Agree.....starting with the DU series in early November there was not one home series this winter that didn't have a Friday and/or Saturday trip up and back from Fargo where there wasn't marginal road conditions and/or snow and or/visibility issues. Last night's road south bound to just south of Hillsboro were brutal. Saw multiple multi car accidents and a handful of cars in the ditch. 

Good to hear you made it safely. Glad I'm done make that drive repeatedly for 6+ months.

I'm looking forward to spring come July.

I struggle with majors when there is no initial call on the ice. The officials look clueless and inept when this happens and the player get overly penalized IMO. No call on ice no penalty...end of story. Blow the whistle for a minor then review it if you want for a major. Not this hasn't been said on this site before but the officiating again this series was substandard for the quality of play in the league.

#bringbackAnderson

• Upvote 2