SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND - NCHC Quarters, Game 2

stoneySIOUX

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Image if Grant Cruikshank had stayed at CC this year. They’d have had an offensive threat. 

That said, CC is going to be miserable to play the next two seasons as they are so young. 

Did he go to Minny?

I had old 81 all to myself last night. I was going as fast as the interstate (can see it) but no cars in ditch, no wreckers, no stoppages. Heard about wreck between Hillsboro and Alton (MM 102) so stayed on 81 to Grandin then went more normal routes. 

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I had old 81 all to myself last night. I was going as fast as the interstate (can see it) but no cars in ditch, no wreckers, no stoppages. Heard about wreck between Hillsboro and Alton (MM 102) so stayed on 81 to Grandin then went more normal routes. 

Sometimes those secondary routes are the best option. Then you don't have to worry about the maniacs on the interstate.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Goon said:

I'll drop this here. It was the right call, you can't hit the puck into the net with your glove. 

Thats such a bang bang play.  It does look like it got knocked in with his glove, but was it intentional?

Honestly if I was them I probably leave it as a good goal. 

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Has anyone heard if Sanderson is injured , that would really be a blow for Friday. 

Over the course of their careers, you want to see if these kids can play dinged up. When it's a week before NCAAs though, it's a different calculus.  I suppose winning two more games against the best NCHC teams could get them a 1 seed, which would help, but they are probably not going to slip to 3 with a loss against WMU.   Not sure whether there is much difference between a 2 and 3 seed, matchup wise.  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Thats such a bang bang play.  It does look like it got knocked in with his glove, but was it intentional?

Honestly if I was them I probably leave it as a good goal. 

That's why the review took so long. You can't put the puck in the net off a glove. Doesn't matter if it intentional or not. 

rules.jpeg

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

In my opinion the Kleven majors are fines/suspensions at the AHL/NHL level also. I don’t think officiating is a reason for him to bail. He will also be asked to fight a lot once he turns pro because of big hits. 

Since that wouldn’t have been a penalty in the nhl last night I think most people would disagree. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Since that wouldn’t have been a penalty in the nhl last night I think most people would disagree. 

A hit similar to that hit was a 5 and a player being stretchered off the ice in Ottawa last night by a Sens player.

56 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

The CC guy commenting on Brandt and Heinert being shocked by the "goal" being disallowed doesn't surprise me.  They are not paying attention to the action for a good share of the game, as they ramble on between themselves about such things as Vernon being born in San Jose, etc..  I wish that Midco would hire a real play-by-play announcer, as the one they have now either doesn't want to do it or doesn't understand what the pxp guy should do.  I know a lot of people on this board think very highly of Alex's performance, and he really does seem to understand the game, but he gets side tracked during the game when action is taking place on the ice.  Listen to most of the NHL announcers and you'll get an idea of how the game should be called.  Make your comments during stoppages of play!

One game, a couple of weeks ago, I put a stop watch on him during the second period of the game.  I ran the stop watch when he was actually calling the action on the ice.  Out of over 8 minutes of game time, he only did 47 seconds of actual play by play! That's just ridiculous.  I think the guy could do a good job of PxP, so what is the problem.  He and Brandt need some direction from someone so they can do a better job.  Really all they need to remember is that when action is taking place on the ice, they need to limit there "floating" discussions and let Alex call the game.  The time for their discussions is when play is halted.  If you are doing football, there are a lot of times when action is not taking place on the field, so comments/discussions don't detract so much from the game (they maybe even may enhance it), but hockey is not a sport with a lot of stopped action.

My son probably said it best when describing the rambling commenters:  He said, "It's like when you are sitting behind a couple of guys at a game and they just keep jabbering on, and on, while the game is taking place."

56 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

The CC guy commenting on Brandt and Heinert being shocked by the "goal" being disallowed doesn't surprise me.  They are not paying attention to the action for a good share of the game, as they ramble on between themselves about such things as Vernon being born in San Jose, etc..  I wish that Midco would hire a real play-by-play announcer, as the one they have now either doesn't want to do it or doesn't understand what the pxp guy should do.  I know a lot of people on this board think very highly of Alex's performance, and he really does seem to understand the game, but he gets side tracked during the game when action is taking place on the ice.  Listen to most of the NHL announcers and you'll get an idea of how the game should be called.  Make your comments during stoppages of play!

One game, a couple of weeks ago, I put a stop watch on him during the second period of the game.  I ran the stop watch when he was actually calling the action on the ice.  Out of over 8 minutes of game time, he only did 47 seconds of actual play by play! That's just ridiculous.  I think the guy could do a good job of PxP, so what is the problem.  He and Brandt need some direction from someone so they can do a better job.  Really all they need to remember is that when action is taking place on the ice, they need to limit there "floating" discussions and let Alex call the game.  The time for their discussions is when play is halted.  If you are doing football, there are a lot of times when action is not taking place on the field, so comments/discussions don't detract so much from the game (they maybe even may enhance it), but hockey is not a sport with a lot of stopped action.

My son probably said it best when describing the rambling commenters:  He said, "It's like when you are sitting behind a couple of guys at a game and they just keep jabbering on, and on, while the game is taking place."

I guess I would have to agree with this assessment.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Not if the player turns. 

The difference between the college and the pro game is that in the pro game the onus is on the player being checked to not turn their back and in the college game the onus is on the checker to not make the check if a player turns their back just split seconds before being checked.   

A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.Aug 30, 2014

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

The difference between the college and the pro game is that in the pro game the onus is on the player being checked to not turn their back and in the college game the onus is on the checker to not make the check if a player turns their back just split seconds before being checked.   

A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.Aug 30, 2014

The major on Kleven would not have been checking from behind in the NHL.  Imo we have to get the onus back on the player in the college game.  So many players are intentionally turning their backs to draw majors.  I know some players reflexively turn their back to protect themselves but they cannot call it majors when the player clearly knows the check is coming and then turns their back to the checker.  This is one of the chicken !@#$ rules I hate in college hockey.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

The major on Kleven would not have been checking from behind in the NHL.  Imo we have to get the onus back on the player in the college game.  So many players are intentionally turning their backs to draw majors.  I know some players reflexively turn their back to protect themselves but they cannot call it majors when the player clearly knows the check is coming and then turns their back to the checker.  This is one of the chicken !@#$ rules I hate in college hockey.

To me turning your back to the checker intentionally is no different than diving to draw a penalty.  Games are being won and lost on these major calls which imo are not majors.

• Upvote 1