SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry - Contract Extension

HawksHoops

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Speaking of Scott Sandelin. If we had gone by the standards of some of the fans on this message board. Sandy wouldn't have ever made it to the point where he won back-to-back games. He would've been fired before those titles. 

OMG, 10 times over!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Who cares?  One down year. Twice didn’t make frozen four cuz we just didn’t. I don’t need to assign blame. The coach’s responsibility is to prepare the team and put them in a position to be successful. Our coaches do that. The guy and his staff can flat out coach. Sometimes stuff happens. Too many think because we have good fan support and a great venue, recruiting is easy and any failure is coaching failure. It doesn’t work that way. 

Unfortunately, we have some in our fanbase who are ignorant and have developed an attitude of elite condescension that used to run rampant and probably still does exist in the Gopher fanbase.

The main aspect is that the other Colleges and Universities really only field hockey teams so that UND has someone to play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Unfortunately, we have some in our fanbase who are ignorant and have developed an attitude of elite condescension that used to run rampant and probably still does exist in the Gopher fanbase.

The main aspect is that the other Colleges and Universities really only field hockey teams so that UND has someone to play. 

This vibe runs rampant on a few Facebook groups.  It's nauseating.   

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, Big Green said:

Of course you can.  At UND we brag about the 8 National Championship not the conference championships.  Need to get it done in the NCAA tourney.

Conference titles are a big deal in the NCHC.  They show who the truly best team is over the long haul of a grueling season.  We should be very proud of our NCHC league titles.

11 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Conference titles are a big deal in the NCHC.  They show who the truly best team is over the long haul of a grueling season.  We should be very proud of our NCHC league titles.

Agree, but National Championships are a bigger deal.  I will even go further and say if one NCHC wins a NC and the other wins the Conference championship the team that won the Conference Championship is the better team.  I just want a coach that can also get it done the in NCAA tourney.  Its been too long since they have been to the Frozen Four.  Hope this is the year.

11 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Agree, but National Championships are a bigger deal.  I will even go further and say if one NCHC wins a NC and the other wins the Conference championship the team that won the Conference Championship is the better team.  I just want a coach that can also get it done the in NCAA tourney.  Its been too long since they have been to the Frozen Four.  Hope this is the year.

I agree that the natty is the bigger deal.  I equate the league championship more with professional hockey where they play series all through the playoffs.  To win a league title you have to play almost every team in the league 4 times every year.

4 hours ago, Goon said:

Speaking of Scott Sandelin. If we had gone by the standards of some of the fans on this message board. Sandy wouldn't have ever made it to the point where he won back-to-back games. He would've been fired before those titles. 

Sandy doesn’t also have the tradition and Ralph to recruit 

I’m tired of this argument 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Sandy doesn’t also have the tradition and Ralph to recruit 

I’m tired of this argument 

Obviously not too tired to comment. If the folks who wanted to fire Hakstol and don’t think we should extend Berry had their way, we wouldn’t have that tradition. We would be changing coaches every 3 years.  The myth that the Ralph is the only great facility is just that. The fact is that many facilities have great locker rooms, team areas and everything they need in the weight room/training facilities.  Players spend their time on the ice, on the bench, in the locker room, the weight room and on campus. Most schools have improved that part of their facilities and can usually match campus and university facilities and programming. We don’t have anywhere near the initial facility advantage the Ralph provided. Recruits don’t care if fans can watch the game while they “drain the lizard”.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

After only one year, I could tell Berry was not a guy who could get it done in the NCAA tourney. 

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

SiouxSports.com 2005-2015: Fire the coach, frozen four appearances are meaningless without a championship.

SiouxSports.com 2016-2022: Fire the coach, a championship is meaningless without more frozen four appearances.

2005-2022....und has the same amount of natty's as union, umass, providence, and yale

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

2005-2022....und has the same amount of natty's as union, umass, providence, and yale

And the same amount of nattys as several blue bloods. This is kind of the point of this whole entire argument, and you just summed it up.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And the same amount of nattys as several blue bloods. This is kind of the point of this whole entire argument, and you just summed it up.

a lot of the other "blue bloods" have other "major" sports to fund also...our other sports at und are suffering...if we had won 2 or 3 or natty's in the meantime but it hasn't so it hurts even more bc the hockey team is lacking for NOTHING 

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

a lot of the other "blue bloods" have other "major" sports to fund also...our other sports at und are suffering...if we had won 2 or 3 or natty's in the meantime but it hasn't so it hurts even more bc the hockey team is lacking for NOTHING 

I guess I'm not sure why this matters to Bubbs' signed extension. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Blackheart said:

Anybody got the sarcasm meter handy?:wink:

But but but, he was using Hakstol's recruits!  Even though we also wanted Hakstol fired because he couldn't win the big one!  He could only get to the F4 every year!  We hate that type of consistency of success!  All we want is a national title every year, is that too much to ask for?

;)

• Upvote 1