SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry - Contract Extension

HawksHoops

On 3/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, Goon said:

The Pandemic and the current state of the economy has probably played a big part in the number of butts in the seats. Last weekend, was a pretty good crowd. Base on some of the attendance numbers I've seen, UND is still doing well. UND is leading the nation, again, in attendance. 

Capture.PNG

I'm surprised Wisconsin is second considering their record this year. 

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I'm surprised Wisconsin is second considering their record this year. 

That isn’t butts in the seats, it is paid attendance, otherwise Minnesota would be down quite a bit as well.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, tnt said:

That isn’t butts in the seats, it is paid attendance, otherwise Minnesota would be down quite a bit as well.

Any site with a large corporate base will have a significant attendance advantage.   Turnstile count--not so much. 

56 minutes ago, burd said:

Any site with a large corporate base will have a significant attendance advantage.   Turnstile count--not so much. 

I do wish, for curiosity sake, that actual turnstile counts were made public. 

On 3/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, Kevin G said:

I do wish, for curiosity sake, that actual turnstile counts were made public. 

Gopher Puck Live files a FOIA and writes about this every year for the gophers.  They really do a great job here: https://gopherpucklive.com/gopher-mens-hockey-scanned-attendance-numbers-increased-in-2018-19-season-will-it-continue/

2021GopherMensHockeyScannedTicketHistory.jpg

2021GopherMensHockeySeasonTickets.jpg

2021GopherMensHockeyScannedTickets.jpg

• Upvote 2

They have HALF the season ticket holders today compared to 2010-11. 

Part of that is "B1G Hockey"; part of that has to be folks no longer able to pay for the whole season package by selling one weekend (when UND comes to town). 

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They have HALF the season ticket holders today compared to 2010-11. 

Part of that is "B1G Hockey"; part of that has to be folks no longer able to pay for the whole season package by selling one weekend (when UND comes to town). 

I grew up in the 90's before the Wild came to town and being from the cities, I was a huge Gopher fan.  I remember playing knee hockey and watching the Gophers on FSN almost every weekend.  They had a pre game show and everything at the time.  Losing the consistency of FSN games and having to compete with the wild was the biggest factor, IMO.  Though, the Big Ten is at fault for the TV issues.  Having to compete with the wild and losing the consistency of TV games is just killer.  I doubt I would have known how or cared to find the gopher games on Big Ten + if that's how I had to find them back in the day.  

The gophers still had strong ticket sales after the wild came to town, so I agree with you that losing games like UND was also a huge deal.  Losing the in-conference rivalry games probably pushed it over the edge. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is 1 reason why i was not in favor of Berry giving an extension in the middle of the year.  

After the extension.

1. Have up 3rd period lead to Omaha to basically tie them.  OT 3x3 win gave them 1/2 a Penne Rose cup and he was satisfied.  

2. Next night sit the goaltender that was playing great the last month and get beat by 3 goals allowing Denver to share the cup and get the number #1.  Also hurt pairwise ranking.

3.  Next 2 games Sanderson is back and struggle to beat CC in two 2-1 games.  Sanderson played great, but still struggled to beat the 7th best team in the league.

4.  Lose to W. Michigan in front of Pro UND crowd.

5. Lost to Notre Dame and season done.

Basically finished 2-3-1 after the contract extension with the 2 wins vs CC, the 2nd worst team in the NCHC.  The loses vs 3 worst in NCHC, 3rd place team in NCHC and 3 best in Big Ten.  All teams they should have beat.

This team quit.

• Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

And if Driscoll starts Saturday against Omaha, a team that loves running our goalies, and gets hurt then it’s “why the hell is Driscoll even playing”?

UND definitely struggled down the stretch putting the puck in the net but  that doesn’t make them quitters.

Maybe to some.  

I just can't get on board with that.  If there is concern about him getting hurt then just don't ever play him.  They won 1/2 of a penne rose and lost all momentum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, nodak651 said:

Gopher Puck Live files a FOIA and writes about this every year for the gophers.  They really do a great job here: https://gopherpucklive.com/gopher-mens-hockey-scanned-attendance-numbers-increased-in-2018-19-season-will-it-continue/

2021GopherMensHockeyScannedTicketHistory.jpg

2021GopherMensHockeySeasonTickets.jpg

2021GopherMensHockeyScannedTickets.jpg

They just posted updated info for this season fyi - https://gopherpucklive.com/covid-cools-crowds-until-gophers-heat-up/

• 1 month later...