SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry - Contract Extension

HawksHoops

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I thought a great coach got his team to peak at the right time. 

So, by your definition, Berry is a great coach because he's already proven that he can get his team to peak at the right time.  :)

IMO.  Get to the frozen four get an extension.  

And, if not, fire him and bring in Sandy?  ;)

I do because I always thought it took more than luck to win one.  I thought a great coach got his team to peak at the right time.  I thought we needed the right players to get it done.  Turns out all we needed was just Luck.

Yes I get it the best team does not always win, but the expectations needs to be greater than 1 NCAA win since 2016.  That can't be acceptable at UND.  He has a chance to change that this year and I sure hope he does.

You mean because the team lost more talent in the off season than any other in the country and they were picked in the middle of the pack in the NCHC?   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

NCAA tourney is luck, team that can win a conference championship gives you better odds.  

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't consider it all luck. Building an incredible team, playing well, and having a winning culture combined with luck usually produces wins in the tourney. Teams get hot and that's a huge factor in the tourney. 

I.e. A team that can win a conference championship gives you better odds.  I never said it was all luck.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

English Translation: #nattysdontmatter

It's the same logic that Atlanta Braves fans attached themselves to before 1995 and then for a few years after that through 1999.

Wrong.  I'd rather put my money down on a coach that has consistent success than hope a coach gets lucky.  You would think that if the Yale, Union, and Providence championship-winning coaches weren't lucky, they would have had more success in recent years.  I'd take a guy like Hak over any of those coaches if I had to put my money down on which coach could lead a team to the next championship.  Providence didn't get lucky by hosting their regional the year they were the 16 seed and won the natty?  Nattys obviously matter, but just because someone catches lightning in a bottle it doesn't mean they will be able to repeat it.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Where’s gophers head coach at now that lost to holly cross 

Your point is well taken Nostradamus, he was forced out immediately after 12 more years. Probably doesn’t even have a job currently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tbone said:

Your point is well taken Nostradamus, he was forced out immediately after 12 more years. Probably doesn’t even have a job currently.

He still hasn't answered my question about if Bubbs deserves 10 more years based on his logic that Lucia wasn't fired.... 

Not a coaching job... he's the commissioner of the CCHA. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

You mean because the team lost more talent in the off season than any other in the country and they were picked in the middle of the pack in the NCHC?   

TBH I'm so sick of hearing this.  Its not like he just took the program over and everyone was leaving.  Maybe he needed to do a better job of balancing the classes out.  Weatherby leaving at the last minute hurt.  I have him credit for bringing in Driscoll, Calder and  Ford to have some older players.  

It not like when he had 8 Seniors last year people were saying he's not that great of a coach because he has 8 seniors.  

You need to win with who you got and that is on the head coach.

And no I don't think he should be fired, I just think they should have have waited until he end of the season and see how things play out.  He was under contract for over another year.

35 minutes ago, Big Green said:

TBH I'm so sick of hearing this.  Its not like he just took the program over and everyone was leaving.  Maybe he needed to do a better job of balancing the classes out.  Weatherby leaving at the last minute hurt.  I have him credit for bringing in Driscoll, Calder and  Ford to have some older players.  

It not like when he had 8 Seniors last year people were saying he's not that great of a coach because he has 8 seniors.  

And no I don't think he should be fired, I just think they should have have waited until he end of the season and see how things play out.  He was under contract for over another year.

On average, Berry has won 2 out of 3 games with who he has got playing for him. His winning % is .667 and Sandy’s is .545. I feel that he has met the program’s expectations to compete at the highest level every year. With that said your team may occasionally miss the tournament. There are only so many upper tier coaches in college hockey, and he is one of them. 

It would be pretty stupid to fire or not rehire all of the 58 coaches that don’t bring home the National Championship every year. We do have SIX titles in the last 41 tournaments. In my 40+ years of watching, that is better than any other team. I would guess that their winning percentage is very near the top also for that time frame. So in my experience, they have been the best team in college hockey. And if not UND, who should I cheer? Who has been better? The increased parity of the college game in the last twenty years will hopefully continue in the new pay a player era (NIL). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tbone said:

On average, Berry has won 2 out of 3 games with who he has got playing for him. His winning % is .667 and Sandy’s is .545. I feel that he has met the program’s expectations to compete at the highest level every year. With that said your team may occasionally miss the tournament. There are only so many upper tier coaches in college hockey, and he is one of them. 

It would be pretty stupid to fire or not rehire all of the 58 coaches that don’t bring home the National Championship every year. We do have SIX titles in the last 41 tournaments. In my 40+ years of watching, that is better than any other team. So in my experience, they have been the best team in college hockey. And if not UND, who should I cheer? Who has been better? The increased parity of the college game in the last twenty years will hopefully continue in the new pay a player era (NIL). 

Good points!  We are spoiled. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Big Green said:

So is the goal consistent success or championships?  If championships are all that matter, overweighting recruiting classes is kinda the way to go...  Too bad Berry wasn't a better coach though, otherwise he would have gotten a better seed last year and the team would have had a chance to rest the night before their 5OT loss to Duluth.  

Before a huge game/potential cup clincher Friday the school announces the extension.  Perhaps to give the team (who all love their coach) a bit more excitement and energy for the Mavs.  

Bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it works for them. :lol:

• Upvote 1

If anything, this shows what an amazing job he has done this year and why he'll be the NCHC CotY (once again).
Look at the other big programs that lost a good amount of talent this past off-season like UW, BC, etc.  Those schools didn't lose nearly as much as UND did, and yet they're both having bad seasons.  Meanwhile, Berry has led UND to another potential Penna and has them lined up for a great NCAA tourney seed despite having far less overall talent on the roster compared to the last two years.

• Upvote 2

Delusion is strong with some of you on here. You are setting yourself to be really disappointed expecting a national title every 3-5 years. If it happens it's an anomaly(See: Lake Superior State, BC & UMD). 

Reset your expectations. Feel free to check my math but it should be pretty close:

Titles Years Eligible Avg Years Between Titles
Michigan 9 73 8.1
Denver 8 70 8.8
North Dakota 8 73 9.1
Wisconsin 6 56 9.3
Minnesota 5 73 14.6
Boston College 5 73 14.6
UMD 3 57 19.0
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Before a huge game/potential cup clincher Friday the school announces the extension.  Perhaps to give the team (who all love their coach) a bit more excitement and energy for the Mavs.  

Bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it works for them. :lol:

How’d it for Mel Tucker Michigan st

5 hours ago, Big Green said:

These must be difficult times for you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, burd said:

These must be difficult times for you. 

Why would you say that?  I just think he needs to do better in NCAA tournament.  Hopefully he does this year and contract is will deserved.  Either way my life doesn’t change 

39 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Why would you say that?  I just think he needs to do better in NCAA tournament.  Hopefully he does this year and contract is will deserved.  Either way my life doesn’t change 

Is there another person that you believe would do a better job coaching ?

26 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Is there another person that you believe would do a better job coaching ?

No true way of knowing.  Who are the options?

Do you believe there is no other coach better than him? 

To be clear I don’t want him fired, I just think wait til the season is done.  

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

So is the goal consistent success or championships?  If championships are all that matter, overweighting recruiting classes is kinda the way to go...  Too bad Berry wasn't a better coach though, otherwise he would have gotten a better seed last year and the team would have had a chance to rest the night before their 5OT loss to Duluth.  

Top end recruiting classes full of blue chips doesn't guarantee a natty. Would run through alot of coaches if you rate success on nattys

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Little to early for my liking. Would have like to see him in tourney mode first 

Did you pass out before the last Championship team?  You could find a replay if you think that’s important. 

• Upvote 1