SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry - Contract Extension

HawksHoops

If you are honestly mad about the contract extension, just know there are at least 55 other college programs who would gladly take BB.

We are in good hands. Glad they locked him down. He's a top 5 college hockey coach and his assistants are top notch also.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Big Green said:

I do because I always thought it took more than luck to win one.  I thought a great coach got his team to peak at the right time.  I thought we needed the right players to get it done.  Turns out all we needed was just Luck.

Yes I get it the best team does not always win, but the expectations needs to be greater than 1 NCAA win since 2016.  That can't be acceptable at UND.  He has a chance to change that this year and I sure hope he does.

You don’t seem to be able to understand coaching beyond a National Championship.  You don’t build a program and maintain the culture UND has had for over 40 yrs with that philosophy. Consistency is one of the pillars of success in any organization including athletics and I would argue even more so in amateur athletics vs pro sports. Most of us appreciate the game, the process and the people. The moment the University disrupts the programs with moronic management like you suggest I’m done. I don’t use the success of my University’s athletic programs for bragging rights because I’m no longer playing or coaching. Dick Vinger the former GFC basketball coach who is a hall of fame BB coach said: when you win say little. When you lose say less.  Never made sense to me to rely on the accomplishments of others for bragging rights. 

22 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Little to early for my liking. Would have like to see him in tourney mode first 

Don't agree on a lot of your takes but this one is spot on. Its been 5 years since we made it to a FF. We haven't had that happen since the early 90's. 

49 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You don’t seem to be able to understand coaching beyond a National Championship.  You don’t build a program and maintain the culture UND has had for over 40 yrs with that philosophy. Consistency is one of the pillars of success in any organization including athletics and I would argue even more so in amateur athletics vs pro sports. Most of us appreciate the game, the process and the people. The moment the University disrupts the programs with moronic management like you suggest I’m done. I don’t use the success of my University’s athletic programs for bragging rights because I’m no longer playing or coaching. Dick Vinger the former GFC basketball coach who is a hall of fame BB coach said: when you win say little. When you lose say less.  Never made sense to me to rely on the accomplishments of others for bragging rights. 

The problem with your take is Berry hasn't had consistency. After he won the national championship it was a first round exit and then not even making the tournament. 

49 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The problem with your take is Berry hasn't had consistency. After he won the national championship it was a first round exit and then not even making the tournament. 

The first round exit was on a play that was deemed offsides, and 10 minutes later they seem to think there was clear evidence to overturn it, and later the rule was changed to prevent that kind of situation. Don't know how you can put outshooting a team like Boston University 59-29 as a failure on Berry's part, but as Ira said, shallow understanding of the game.   NCHC coach of the year, 3 of 6 years, soon to be 4 of 7, but yeah, unless it is 7 of 7 it is pretty inconsistent. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The first round exit was on a play that was deemed offsides, and 10 minutes later they seem to think there was clear evidence to overturn it, and later the rule was changed to prevent that kind of situation. Don't know how you can put outshooting a team like Boston University 59-29 as a failure on Berry's part, but as Ira said, shallow understanding of the game.   NCHC coach of the year, 3 of 6 years, soon to be 4 of 7, but yeah, unless it is 7 of 7 it is pretty inconsistent. 

I was thinking holy sh*t, as a team you just lost a boat load of talent after your 2016 championship and now we just got jobbed by the refs on the game winning goal. And from the bench Jost could see his agent lighting cigars with benjamins from the waiting limo.

Despite the outcome that was a damn good weekend of hockey in Fargo. Good venue, second best in the state.

Geez we are a spoiled group. Thanks coach Berry and staff!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Far from not being able to understand the game. Do I think Berry is a good coach, ya I do but to sit there and say he has been consistent is simple not true. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Scott Sandelin he went back to back in winning a national championship and he still hasn't won coach of the year.

6 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Scott Sandelin he went back to back in winning a national championship and he still hasn't won coach of the year.

So again we are back to the definition of consistent.  Duluth hasn't won a league championship in about 30 years, but since they had a few runs at the end of the season, you are holding them out to be the model of consistency.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Who cares?  One down year. Twice didn’t make frozen four cuz we just didn’t. I don’t need to assign blame. The coach’s responsibility is to prepare the team and put them in a position to be successful. Our coaches do that. The guy and his staff can flat out coach. Sometimes stuff happens. Too many think because we have good fan support and a great venue, recruiting is easy and any failure is coaching failure. It doesn’t work that way. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Who votes for coach of the year? Coaches, athletic directors, and select media? Berry must be well regarded by a whole bunch of clueless voters and not by certain message board posters.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

So you want the consistency of Sandelin whose teams are 76 games over .500 in 21+ seasons, over Berry, whose teams are 85 games over .500 in 6+ seasons.   It would be interesting to see what other fanbases think of some of our bizarre fans. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Attendance is down across sports in general. Berry doesn't control societal factors. Should we lower the broadcast quality to incentivize higher attendance? 

As time passes, it's pretty clear Shaw wasn't the home run hire everyone in CH media declared him to be at the time.

The Pandemic and the current state of the economy has probably played a big part in the number of butts in the seats. Last weekend, was a pretty good crowd. Base on some of the attendance numbers I've seen, UND is still doing well. UND is leading the nation, again, in attendance. 

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The Pandemic and the current state of the economy has probably played a big part in the number of butts in the seats. Last weekend, was a pretty good crowd. Base on some of the attendance numbers I've seen, UND is still doing well. UND is leading the nation, again, in attendance. 

Capture.PNGIs

Is "attendance" attendance or tickets sold?   No way the gophs have been filling 78% of seats.

Is there?