SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry - Contract Extension

HawksHoops

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Fixed it for you.  Can't judge a hockey coach based off a one and done tourney. 

Of course you can.  At UND we brag about the 8 National Championship not the conference championships.  Need to get it done in the NCAA tourney.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Big Green said:

Of course you can.  At UND we brag about the 8 National Championship not the conference championships.  Need to get it done in the NCAA tourney.

NCAA tourney is luck, team that can win a conference championship gives you better odds.  

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

NCAA tourney is luck, team that can win a conference championship gives you better odds.  

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't consider it all luck. Building an incredible team, playing well, and having a winning culture combined with luck usually produces wins in the tourney. Teams get hot and that's a huge factor in the tourney. 

25 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

How about Minnesota losing to Holy Cross? How about Duluth and Providence both winning national championships as 4 seeds? 

Where’s gophers head coach at now that lost to holly cross 

he was forced out even after two nattys

just couldn’t get it dine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Where’s gophers head coach at now that lost to holly cross 

he was forced out even after two nattys

just couldn’t get it dine

It was a long time since he'd won one... more than 10 years, right? Longer than the contract that Bubbs just had extended. So, he deserves the extension and should be given until at least 2026 with this logic then, right?

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

:D
Yes, no one here cares about them.  Not one bit.

I do because I always thought it took more than luck to win one.  I thought a great coach got his team to peak at the right time.  I thought we needed the right players to get it done.  Turns out all we needed was just Luck.

Yes I get it the best team does not always win, but the expectations needs to be greater than 1 NCAA win since 2016.  That can't be acceptable at UND.  He has a chance to change that this year and I sure hope he does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I do because I always thought it took more than luck to win one.  I thought a great coach got his team to peak at the right time.  I thought we needed the right players to get it done.  Turns out all we needed was just Luck.

Yes I get it the best team does not always win, but the expectations needs to be greater than 1 NCAA win since 2016.  That can't be acceptable at UND.  He has a chance to change that this year and I sure hope he does.

And if he doesn't? Say we get to a national title game or a Frozen Four and get beat by a team on a spectacular goalie performance ala 2012? Is that an indication he didn't deserve an extension? This on the heels of a conference title season that had us No. 2 in the PWR before the pandemic killed the season and then another historically great season and another conference title, a tourney win and a heart-wrenching loss in 5 OT in the regional final. Also, looking to the future, a really, really great pipeline. Rationally, it shouldn't. 

He got an extension due to his body of work. This includes looking at past performance, our current team, and future pipeline/strength of the program/money/culture. Bubbs deserved it and got it. Any bellyaching that he shouldn't get one is wasted breath.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And if he doesn't? Say we get to a national title game or a Frozen Four and get beat by a team on a spectacular goalie performance ala 2012? Is that an indication he didn't deserve an extension? Rationally, it shouldn't. 

He got an extension due to his body of work. This includes looking at past performance, our current team, and future pipeline/strength of the program/money/culture. Bubbs deserved it and got it. Any bellyaching that he shouldn't get one is wasted breath.

IMO.  Get to the frozen four get an extension.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I believe it should be to win the title game

And you were praising Berry when he won it, saying that Hak couldn't get it done and you were right.  Then you are saying you want Hak back.   Drinking too much truly does kill brain cells.  Maybe you should look into Prevagen. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hey man, to each their own. I just don't understand how you couldn't look at the body of work and ignore what he's done/doing.

Like I said before, the people that have the highest expectations for Berry have a low expectation of themselves, which really is sad.   

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Do we know the $$$? Hard to judge a contract without the numbers.

I don’t mind paying more for performance

but I think we can all agree besides the gopher games and maybe I’d Argus scsu games buts I’m seats are down 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Most in here think it is

So, here is your chance to put up or shut up.  Who should UND be comparing themselves to?   Is it whoever wins the championship that year?  It used to be Boston College, but you don't hear that anymore.   The fact that the comparisons are ever changing, yet UND is still firmly a threat year in and year out, certainly should show that UND hockey is a program that most would love to emulate.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I don’t mind paying more for performance

but I think we can all agree besides the gopher games and maybe I’d Argus scsu games buts I’m seats are down 

Attendance is down across sports in general. Berry doesn't control societal factors. Should we lower the broadcast quality to incentivize higher attendance? 

As time passes, it's pretty clear Shaw wasn't the home run hire everyone in CH media declared him to be at the time.