SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 IIHF World Juniors

The Sicatoka

• 2 weeks later...

USA plays Slovakia at 8:30 Central Dec 26.

Only had 1 prelim game, lost 4-3 to Finland, but led 3-1 late and had a 5 minute major called, where the Fins scored 2 and tied it. Then they scored PPG in OT for the USA loss.

(The 5 wasn't Sanderson nor Klevin).

But still: stay outta the box!

Go USA!

11 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

USA plays Slovakia at 8:30 Central Dec 26.

Only had 1 prelim game, lost 4-3 to Finland, but led 3-1 late and had a 5 minute major called, where the Fins scored 2 and tied it. Then they scored PPG in OT for the USA loss.

(The 5 wasn't Sanderson nor Klevin).

But still: stay outta the box!

Go USA!

Here is a pretty good preview of Group B.  Russian goaltender could be a factor in our group if he is on his game. https://www.nhl.com/news/group-b-preview-for-2022-world-junior-championship/c-329153074

3 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Listening to the Canadian announcers call the Canada Czech game the announcers are already annointing the Canadians as the gold medal winners.  Reminds me of the FSN announcers start talking natty after the Gophers beat up on the Sisters of the Poor a couple weekends in a row.  

Those Hosers!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Listening to the Canadian announcers call the Canada Czech game the announcers are already annointing the Canadians as the gold medal winners.  Reminds me of the FSN announcers start talking natty after the Gophers beat up on the Sisters of the Poor a couple weekends in a row.  

The play by play announcer (Gord Miller, I believe) even has a Frank Mazzacco style voice.  I like listening to them because, yes, they are homers, but they also are incredibly critical of the players.  They expect absolute perfection out of the Canadian team.

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The play by play announcer (Gord Miller, I believe) even has a Frank Mazzacco style voice.  I like listening to them because, yes, they are homers, but they also are incredibly critical of the players.  They expect absolute perfection out of the Canadian team.

Gord Miller is a hockey PxP guy I'd put in a class with Tim Hennessy, and there ain't many on that list. 

• Understanding of the game beyond reproach 
  • Easy to listen to because master of the 4Ps
  • Homer (so you know they aren't just a robot) 
  • Bluntly honest when appropriate 

*Pitch, Pace, Power, and Pause for effect 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

That 3rd period from the U.S. definitely left me with some concerns and the first 4-5 minutes of the game was pretty rough at times too but they looked dominant through most of the middle part of the game. Certainly have to clean up some dzone coverage issues. Thought Commesso had a really solid game last night.

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yes I agree about expecting perfection.  They though sometimes put the cart before the horse as far as presuming that Canada will win Group A.  The Fins are tough and there is no drop off from 1st line to 4th line.  The Fins I believe are gonna give the Canadians a run for their money and I would say that they (Fins) may be the most complete team in the tourney and they have really good chemistry and play as a team.  Finland could very well win this tourney.   If the Canadians get into penalty trouble against the Fins they have shown against the U.S. that they can find find the back of the net on the power play also.  Group A imo is up for grabs between the Fins and Canadians.