SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Travels to CC

sioux24/7

This is definitely trap game(s) for UND.   After a month of the toughest competition in all of NCAA, a letdown or loss of intensity has to be guarded against.

UNO lost on Saturday (deservedly so) and dropped 8-10 places in the Pairwise.  With CC's RPI hovering around #40 of 59 teams, a loss hurts.  

Good weekend to get everyone on board, no passengers, roll 18 (19) skaters, keep the shifts short, and poise with the puck.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone heading to Colorado Springs for the series? Any suggestions on things to do and bars to go to?

I wish, would love to get back to the city of my alma mater. However, last trip we made it to Red Rock Canyon for some hiking which was a fun time. Have a local Colorado gummy if you want to make it even more fun.

If you're staying near the campus, where the rink now is, walking tejon and checking out the various bars and restaurants is a good time. Not Nashville by any means but it's a pretty good vibe.

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I wish, would love to get back to the city of my alma mater. However, last trip we made it to Red Rock Canyon for some hiking which was a fun time. Have a local Colorado gummy if you want to make it even more fun.

If you're staying near the campus, where the rink now is, walking tejon and checking out the various bars and restaurants is a good time. Not Nashville by any means but it's a pretty good vibe.

Yeah we are staying right by the new arena. Will have to check it out. We are planning on doing the Manitou Incline Friday morning but that may be dependent on the Vikings outcome Thursday night!

• Upvote 1

What a weird, wild first half up to this point. Last two games of the calendar year, with a real opportunity. A sweep puts them in the drivers seat for a regular season title. It puts them in a really good place as well from a national landscape. The inconsistency the last few weeks has been concerning, it also feels though that they've really been battling through roster issues (Flu, Injuries) for most of the 1st half. When is the last time they've had a full lineup? 

What I would like to see. (1) Hellsten start on Friday. Two goalie system until one proves they are the starter. The defense hasn't helped some nights, but regardless, Driscoll has a .889 SV%, which is awful. In fact only 14 worse (min games component on CHN) SV% in the country.  (2) Bast / Johnson get minutes. You only learn by playing. It's at the point where I would prefer they send Johnson back to the USHL for the 2nd half of the year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah we are staying right by the new arena. Will have to check it out. We are planning on doing the Manitou Incline Friday morning but that may be dependent on the Vikings outcome Thursday night!

The Incline is no joke. Did it last summer, and in retrospect breakfast might have been a good idea first.   Didn't know you needed a reservation, but perhaps that was just for summer due to Covid.  

IMG-2267 (003).jpg

1 hour ago, AJS said:

What a weird, wild first half up to this point. Last two games of the calendar year, with a real opportunity. A sweep puts them in the drivers seat for a regular season title. It puts them in a really good place as well from a national landscape. The inconsistency the last few weeks has been concerning, it also feels though that they've really been battling through roster issues (Flu, Injuries) for most of the 1st half. When is the last time they've had a full lineup? 

What I would like to see. (1) Hellsten start on Friday. Two goalie system until one proves they are the starter. The defense hasn't helped some nights, but regardless, Driscoll has a .889 SV%, which is awful. In fact only 14 worse (min games component on CHN) SV% in the country.  (2) Bast / Johnson get minutes. You only learn by playing. It's at the point where I would prefer they send Johnson back to the USHL for the 2nd half of the year. 

Development wise it might be good for Johnson, but what happens if Covid strikes.   I would say you can't have enough guys right now.  Just look at Duluth and their goaltender situation. 

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Panino’s Restaurant is literally a block away from Robson. They have good pizza and Italian in general. Only drawback-at least from what we experienced a month or so ago after the CC game ended was, they close around ten so we didn’t have a whole lot of time there after the game had ended. But, definitely a good place to go to for dinner and drinks before the game and just a short walk to the arena. 

3 hours ago, Langster019 said:

I’ll be curious to see how many UND fans and how many empty seats there will be. Prices are certainly for profit but I think they scared off or pushed away people who would have otherwise attended given closer to normal ticket price. 

This is me. I promised my wife that we would see a live hockey game for the first time in 25 years (Dec. '96 OT home victory over C.C.) thinking that we could catch a series at Denver or C.C. (before realizing how difficult reasonable tickets are to obtain). We've since made other plans. Hopefully they play in Denver next year (although we will be attending the ASU game in Vegas beforehand).

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The Incline is no joke. Did it last summer, and in retrospect breakfast might have been a good idea first.   Didn't know you needed a reservation, but perhaps that was just for summer due to Covid.  

IMG-2267 (003).jpg

I wouldn't recommend a large breakfast before doing this as it might come up to say hello lol.

A bit o' fun trivia about Colorado College and Colorado Springs:

1) Thomas Nelson Haskell founded Colorado College in 1874. Oddly, Haskell has ties to two other hockey schools: he graduated from Miami University (Ohio) and later taught at the University of Wisconsin. So CC was bound to become a mediocre hockey school (I kid...).

2) Bigfoot has been spotted (or "spotted") over 100 times around Colorado Springs in recent years. On a completely unrelated note, marijuana is legal there.

3) Nikola Tesla, the famous inventor, built a lab in Colorado Springs in 1899 because the area was known to have a lot of lightning strikes. The lab operated for less than a year and all of its equipment later auctioned off to satisfy Tesla's debts.

4) The elevation of Colorado Springs is 6,040 feet above sea level. Grand Forks is at 840 feet. So the boys will be playing almost exactly one mile higher this weekend. We'll see if anyone recently skipped leg day.

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

FYI: masks in the arena are required (unless, of course you spend your hard earned money on beer and concessions). Also, proof of vaccination is required upon entry into the arena. A screen shot of your vaccination card is accepted.

Do males over 12 have to wear a condom too just for extra protection?

My niece is a CC student (she'll go with us Saturday).....guess sitting during the anthem is acceptable due to inclusivity.

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Do males over 12 have to wear a condom too just for extra protection?

My niece is a CC student (she'll go with us Saturday).....guess sitting during the anthem is acceptable due to inclusivity.

Sitting with hour niece while wearing a condom could be rather awkward. 

6 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Sitting with hour niece while wearing a condom could be rather awkward. 

Was thinking more along the line of sitting by my brother who lives out there but your point is well taken.