SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

We have already shown that we still throw short of the chains

Midco commentators talked about this a few times- mostly saying that they trust the receiver to get the yards after catch. They seemed ok with the strategy, but I don’t really like it. I’d like the point of catch to be enough. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Midco commentators talked about this a few times- mostly saying that they trust the receiver to get the yards after catch. They seemed ok with the strategy, but I don’t really like it. I’d like the point of catch to be enough. 

That may be the case, but two chances seems better odds of getting there against a good defense.  Against a good tackling team that might not work that often.

30 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I would be more ok with it if passes weren't routinely behind receivers killing their momentum to make a catch and make gaining yards that much tougher. There's a huge difference between YAC in open field and YAC breaking tackles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t think so. Risk reward didn’t make sense. We were ahead. Defense was playing well. We had been able to move ball but hadn’t run well. They were in FG range with an excellent FG kicker when they got the ball back. If we get the 1st down all we get was another set of downs still deep in our own territory. 1 1/2 yds is tough up the middle.  Giving them the ball on our 20 and the int when he could have run for 2yds had he run right away gave them three and cost us 3 or 7.  Isaiah Smith is too explosive not to give him more touches. Receivers not running routes to first down distance hurt us a few times. That was a game we can’t afford mistakes like that. Defense played well. Limited them to 3 FG’s til last minute when they started quite a few times with decent field position. Most people don’t care but our punter had a great day. Offense wasn’t consistent enough. Oline didn’t “impose their will” but protected Schuster pretty well. Kids played hard. Can’t make those mistakes against good teams. This game could have gone either way. 

Going for it from you own 20 is what kids do on Xbox. I know I've seen guys complaining bubba is too conservative on this board but that seemed like an overcorrection.

It is what it is.  A buddy who was at the game (und guy) said it was a blast and he never goes despite living in GF. Moral victories are dumb but maybe GF will show up more? Who knows. I'm an idiot.  @VMeisterwill confirm that I'm an idiot. 

• Upvote 1

Please don’t take this as piling on because honestly that is not my intention at all. But the Alerus and UND need to come up with a better intro video and the sound system in that place is garbage. Naturally as a Bison fan and seeing games in the Fargo Dome I’m using that as a comparison, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I did mention elsewhere that your fans brought it yesterday , well done. Those first couple NDSU possessions I was like “Oh wow, this is nuts”. 
For the sake of discussion, and from maybe me not really being able to tell how loud Bison fans were from where I was seated, how did UND fans feel about the noise NDSU fans created at the game? 

1 hour ago, TinyTimmay said:

Please don’t take this as piling on because honestly that is not my intention at all. But the Alerus and UND need to come up with a better intro video and the sound system in that place is garbage. Naturally as a Bison fan and seeing games in the Fargo Dome I’m using that as a comparison, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I did mention elsewhere that your fans brought it yesterday , well done. Those first couple NDSU possessions I was like “Oh wow, this is nuts”. 
For the sake of discussion, and from maybe me not really being able to tell how loud Bison fans were from where I was seated, how did UND fans feel about the noise NDSU fans created at the game? 

Thanks Captain Obvious on the sound system issues. Alerus is city owned not UND, visit the Ralph if you want to critique UND sound system.

As far as fan noise, UND fans are trying to be quiet when we have the ball, so of course visiting fan noise is going to stand out. However our marching band seems to forget that and play right up to when we snap the ball.

Somewhat related UND needs to better regulate our home field advantage, no way should su be allowed to run out on field with flags, and limit sideline numbers, half the su "cheer team" looked like guys off the street that were handed t shirts.

Oh and good job not "piling on" our team is better than many thought and su is not as good as many thought.

I assume you will be back here next year to talk about "just another game" for bison fans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Been awhile...nice work on the atmosphere.  Definitely affected the game.  

2 great defenses getting after it, that was some smash mouth physical defense along with speed.  

How many times did I say "WTF was that call" on both sides during the game?  Brutally called game by both OCs and no need to re-hash Bubba's call either.  

Look at the final stats...a complete toss up is what it was (meaning a play or 2 here and there like the INT or 4th downs) and 100% not sure what to expect from each team the rest of the way against the best of the MVFC.  Good luck the rest of the way.  Perhaps they will meet again.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

"I just thought we could get it."   ~Bubba

Just an absolute terrible call, terrible execution and that is an almost even worse explanation.

The final possession of the 1st half was when I absolutely knew there wasn't a chance to win this.

I saw a coach that was so desperately trying to cling to moral victory it was embarrassing...

"We were up on them at the half" is a safe anecdote to have in the bag, for recruiting, for donors, for media... it almost looked like that was the goal and then they just mailed in the rest like it was a self fullfilling prophecy.  

Weak, frail, confused, and willing to settle is not the leadership or coaching that will push UND football to anything more than a subconference afterthought.

The 4th down call was a fireable / retireable offense.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I love Danny, I want him to be the next head coach, but man oh man what was he doing yesterday?

I don't want the guy I saw yesterday any where near the head coaching job.  He is becoming more Bubba like day by day.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Devils said:

Just not a lot of weapons on O and an average OL.  Otis didn't create much today but he didn't have a lot of room - seems like he would do well in space sometimes instead of always going between the tackles.  Maag and Boltman with, what, 1 touch each?  Build the passing around the young WR if those two aren't healthy.  

I don’t think we used Otis enough. He almost broke a few. Need to feed him especially on short downs!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Thanks Captain Obvious on the sound system issues. Alerus is city owned not UND, visit the Ralph if you want to critique UND sound system.

As far as fan noise, UND fans are trying to be quiet when we have the ball, so of course visiting fan noise is going to stand out. However our marching band seems to forget that and play right up to when we snap the ball.

Somewhat related UND needs to better regulate our home field advantage, no way should su be allowed to run out on field with flags, and limit sideline numbers, half the su "cheer team" looked like guys off the street that were handed t shirts.

Oh and good job not "piling on" our team is better than many thought and su is not as good as many thought.

I assume you will be back here next year to talk about "just another game" for bison fans.

Does the Alerus put together that intro video for the football team too? Because that thing was worse than the sound system. I notice you didn’t say anything about that. And if you’ve read any of my previous posts in years past you would know I’ve been to the Ralph a lot. Used to follow UND hockey pretty closely, may have even been more to Final 5s than you but I guess it doesn’t really matter. 

And of course your fans are quiet on offense, thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious. I was just curious if maybe noise from the opposing fans was noticeable and made a difference. It sounded decently loud but I was also in a predominantly NDSU fan section. 

I personally like seeing freshman allowed on the field and able to participate up close like that. Limit the scoring and you’d see the flags less often ;)

Check previous post about giving UND credit, and not expecting that game to turn out the way it did….other than the Bison walking away with a win, I expected that. 

So yeah, see ya next year. I’ll see myself out.