SiouxSports.com Forum

Utah State Sept. 10 8 pm

Mama Sue

Utah State had a bad year in 2020. I think they won one game. From what I've read their new head coach and staff hit the transfer portal hard in an effort to retool. So with a new coach and new players it is difficult to predict their tendencies.  Ive not read any report about their win over Washington State but doing so might give you an idea of what to expect on Friday. 

They ran the ball well against a PAC 10 team. They came from behind and scored the last 15 points to win.  We will need to play really well to beat these guys.  We will need everyone healthy, and play mistake free football. We have to get better each week but we need big improvement for this game. 

• Upvote 3

Looks like they will have Bo back next week. So that will be good. 

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Utah State seems like a much improved team. We have our work cut out for ourselves. I would be careful of expectations.

Its doable.  They have the play well, but its doable.

Plus, they need to avoid the trap of overlooking UND after a big win against a PAC-12 school.  

So lets set a trap :) 

This isn't like WY in 2015.  I was there it was beautiful.  This game will be much tougher.  We are much better than 2015 but this team Utah State team is light years ahead of the WY team.  We can beat them but this will be a very tough competition.  We have the QB and RB to do it.  Maybe not the OL or the DL.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

after we win....

bubba..."let's get this straight ......this isn't.....this isn't north dakota state...this is like appy state beating michigan in the big house."

I don’t think Bubba brings up the Ag School until the week we play them. This is a big game for our program. Utah State probably not Michigan but they are Utah State and it would be a big win. 

Utah State brought in a pile of transfers,  but they looked like cohesive offensive and defensive units against Washington St. Their high tempo offense has potential to give UND fits, but hopefully UND has the answer. 

UND will have to play a solid game, but so will Utah State. I give them the home field edge, but I will be there to do my part in neutralizing it. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, AGGIE25 said:

To all the North dakota fans traveling to Logan for the game. All the hotel rooms in Logan are sold out for Friday.

From An Aggie fan

We heard the game is far from a sell out, perhaps that was before the big win?

UND as a program has really taken some steps since last Spring to solidify at least how I feel about certain games. Feel they can play with anyone at home, feel confident with them on the road against lesser programs. Depth is better than it's ever been. More consistent. I do feel they've turned the corner. The last and most difficult hurdle is the "prime time" games. FBS / NDSU / JMU's of the world. USU seems like a quality team G5 team. They'll really hate to hear this, but I would think it'd be fair to put them on the NDSU / JMU type of level. My question is can they take the next step and be competitive? I know they have in previous G5 games, so maybe I'm not giving UND enough credit. That P5 win by USU was impressive, so I'm not putting them in the upper echelon of the G5 and not the bottom (i.e. Bowling Green). 

I don't know what to expect. This is a "prime time" game. I just hope they play to their ability. The direction and momentum this team has right now, if they somehow pull off a Win, that would do wonders to solidify this program in the FCS ranks. I guess we'll see on Friday night.

• Upvote 3

I'm more concerned with UND's play than Utah State's. UND won handily at Idaho State, and that was with quite a few mistakes; strange play calls, missed FG, dropped passes. Clean those things up and keep executing. 

Hope to see some new wrinkles this week with the offense; Brockstar, Quincy getting some passes, Tommy continuing to run when needed. Maag needs to play BIG! Zavalney needs some more targets.

Should be fun, and the broadcast has to be better than Idaho State's!

With their edge on speed and strength, this will be a tough match up for us. May be an exciting start, but thinking they wear us down in the second half.
IMO what could help keep it close, is it's early in the season and that the Aggies have a new coach and the many players he brought to the team for this season.
Minimal penalties on us and turnovers in our favor are a must in this one.