SiouxSports.com Forum

Utah State Sept. 10 8 pm

Mama Sue

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Gotta force him back inside where there is help

Siegal was going to, but got held bigtime.  I don't think our guys were out of position at the start of the play, they just didn't make the play, which a lot of it was due to holding.  If anything CJ needed to try to break harder to the sideline and somehow make it more obvious he was totally getting held.  

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Do you think its Danny running out of plays or is it bubba getting in his way?

I don't think Bubba directly interferes with play calling.  And we have lots of plays - it's just how we use them sometimes that is problematic.  Bubba is one of the original "play not to lose" guys and has definitely put his stamp on things.  The 2nd and 2 play calls were examples of this philosophy.  We have no killer instinct - our tendency is to get conservative with a lead against a good team.  We can wheel and deal against weaker teams, but when faced with a strong opponent we revert.  In addition, we have no downfield threat in our arsenal which often comes back to bite us.  How many times over the last several years have we seen 8 in the box - and we will continue to see this until we address this.  It's not like this is a new issue.  A running game against a stacked defense and 5 yard passes are not going to get us to the next level.  

22 hours ago, TBR said:

Logan is about the same elevation as Ft. Collins. Grand Forks and Brookings are also at similar a altitude. Jack's must be a better high elevation team than us.

CSU and USU play on October 22...let's see how that one goes for the Rams.

As they say in finance...past performance is not indicative of future results.  Blake Anderson has a good track record as a coach, and basically turned the whole roster over...USU may not be the MWC cream puff we all thought they'd be given last year.

I was disappointed by the second half of the game...but I'm not surprised given the back to back road games, late start, and FBS/FCS differences.  I hope to see us rectify some of the issues up front this weekend against Drake, and get healthy so we can take a helluva swing at "the farm school to the south" in a few weeks!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Siegal was going to, but got held bigtime.  I don't think our guys were out of position at the start of the play, they just didn't make the play, which a lot of it was due to holding.  If anything CJ needed to try to break harder to the sideline and somehow make it more obvious he was totally getting held.  

But then the safety tried to go under the block which makes no sense. Even kids playing tag at recess learn this type of leverage for trapping a guy. You should only go under that block if it’s a sure thing you get there before the guy gets to the sideline. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I don't think Bubba directly interferes with play calling.  And we have lots of plays - it's just how we use them sometimes that is problematic.  Bubba is one of the original "play not to lose" guys and has definitely put his stamp on things.  The 2nd and 2 play calls were examples of this philosophy.  We have no killer instinct - our tendency is to get conservative with a lead against a good team.  We can wheel and deal against weaker teams, but when faced with a strong opponent we revert.  In addition, we have no downfield threat in our arsenal which often comes back to bite us.  How many times over the last several years have we seen 8 in the box - and we will continue to see this until we address this.  It's not like this is a new issue.  A running game against a stacked defense and 5 yard passes are not going to get us to the next level.  

This was maybe more of my point. I know there were trick plays called (a lot in a short period of time) but it seemed the offense just changed still when they got ahead? They got conservative like we have seen from bubba in the past (many times). I'm mot saying bubba starts calling the offensive plays. I am wondering though is he telling Danny to pump the breaks and lets just try run some clock. When things are going so good why change it. Do that when your a head by 40 points not 14.

47 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

This was maybe more of my point. I know there were trick plays called (a lot in a short period of time) but it seemed the offense just changed still when they got ahead? They got conservative like we have seen from bubba in the past (many times). I'm mot saying bubba starts calling the offensive plays. I am wondering though is he telling Danny to pump the breaks and lets just try run some clock. When things are going so good why change it. Do that when your a head by 40 points not 14.

I totally agree with your point - my comment about play calling was more directed to earlier posts .  There is no doubt that Bubba's philosophy is infused into the staff and team.  With good recruiting (which we have generally been doing) this is a recipe for good teams that never quite get over the hump.  What's frustrating to me is this philosophy seems to be hard-baked into Bubba - if not we would have changed after the Richmond fiasco.  We look like world beaters against weaker teams, but when good teams catch on to our philosophy they stack the box and we almost never make them pay.  Rinse, Repeat.  Playing not to lose is a real momentum breaker and drives me nuts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

But then the safety tried to go under the block which makes no sense. Even kids playing tag at recess learn this type of leverage for trapping a guy. You should only go under that block if it’s a sure thing you get there before the guy gets to the sideline. 

My opinion is in that split second of the first screen shot I showed, Coley thought CJ was going to break free and had the sideline covered.  By the time he saw that he got held up, it was too late.  He obviously made the wrong choice, but I can see more now why in that split second he tried to go under because he thought CJ was about to break free and had the sideline covered. 

Anyway....on to Drake

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Gotta force him back inside where there is help

If our guy had outside leverage. Yes. Use the sideline as an extra defender and force him out of bounds or make him cut inside where the help is. We neither got outside leverage or attacked him at the sideline.  #13 said bye.  race me to the goal line.  Lesson learned. 

59 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

If our guy had outside leverage. Yes. Use the sideline as an extra defender and force him out of bounds or make him cut inside where the help is. We neither got outside leverage or attacked him at the sideline.  #13 said bye.  race me to the goal line.  Lesson learned. 

See the first picture I posted, CJ was outside of the blocking WR but got yanked by shoulder pads back inside.  Either way, yes lesson learned. 

The coaches need to emphasize to the DBs:  be physical with receivers and don't let them step on your toes and get to your body. Swing down on the wrist of the guy trying to block you by grabbing breast plate of your shoulder pads. There is no muscle on top of your wrists and a closed fist to that area is painful. The person holding you will let go immediately. Bottom line is to be physical before they get physical with you. I think our guys will run roughshod over Drake and get back in the win column 

19 hours ago, Irish said:

I totally agree with your point - my comment about play calling was more directed to earlier posts .  There is no doubt that Bubba's philosophy is infused into the staff and team.  With good recruiting (which we have generally been doing) this is a recipe for good teams that never quite get over the hump.  What's frustrating to me is this philosophy seems to be hard-baked into Bubba - if not we would have changed after the Richmond fiasco.  We look like world beaters against weaker teams, but when good teams catch on to our philosophy they stack the box and we almost never make them pay.  Rinse, Repeat.  Playing not to lose is a real momentum breaker and drives me nuts.

Yup you nailed it! This needs to change if UND wants to take the next step. 

3 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Yup you nailed it! This needs to change if UND wants to take the next step. 

If UND hadn't beat itself with multiple 5 yard penalties and tackling Otis with a nice hole on third down, this approach may have indeed worked.  UND was getting some long rushes in the 3rd, and if not for those drive killing mistakes, UND could very well have worn down their defense.  I would have liked to have seen Quincy get a full drive of playing time during our second to last drive, however.  If not sooner.  UND was no longer moving the ball and I would have liked to try a different approach at that point.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Utah State Sept. 10 8 pm
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Before the season started did anyone think Utah State would be 8-2 and 5-1 in the MWC.  Leading their division.

They are very good team.

I didn’t think that about Utah State after they lost to Boise. They have been on a roll since losing their two games. They have a talented squad that should roll the Cowboys easily this weekend