SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Transfer portal extravaganza

SiouxFanatic

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Good grief ... 

And they shall call the ban, the “Schlossman rule”.  Way to ruin it for everyone with your top-notch reporting, Brad! :D Couldn’t just let the NCAA continue operating under cloak and dagger... Guess that proves Brad had an inside source, re: “how do we see who’s in the portal?”!

53 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

And they shall call the ban, the “Schlossman rule”.  Way to ruin it for everyone with your top-notch reporting, Brad! :D Couldn’t just let the NCAA continue operating under cloak and dagger... Guess that proves Brad had an inside source, re: “how do we see who’s in the portal?”!

It would be great if the NCAA cared enough about hockey for them to make changes across the spectrum based on what happens in our niche sport. Sounds like basketball is a gong show right now.

UND has one more Forward spot we all feel confident they'll use the Portal for.

Ashton Calder (Jr) of Lake Superior State checks every box. All-WCHA 2nd team member this past year. Tied league lead with 16 Goals (w/ Ford). Junior. Wore letter. Lead the team in scoring this year with 29 points (outside of Veillette who is also in the Portal, nobody was close). 2nd on the team in scoring as a Sophomore (28 Points in 41 Games). Had 22 Points as a Freshman as well. This wasn't a situation where he just exploded this year. He was on the All-WCHA Rookie team. He's steadily improved every year.

He might jump Cruickshank for me as the hopefully #1 Target. Regardless, he's one of the few handful right now in the Portal that would check all the boxes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

UND has one more Forward spot we all feel confident they'll use the Portal for.

Ashton Calder (Jr) of Lake Superior State checks every box. All-WCHA 2nd team member this past year. Tied league lead with 16 Goals (w/ Ford). Junior. Wore letter. Lead the team in scoring this year with 29 points (outside of Veillette who is also in the Portal, nobody was close). 2nd on the team in scoring as a Sophomore (28 Points in 41 Games). Had 22 Points as a Freshman as well. This wasn't a situation where he just exploded this year. He was on the All-WCHA Rookie team. He's steadily improved every year.

He might jump Cruickshank for me as the hopefully #1 Target. Regardless, he's one of the few handful right now in the Portal that would check all the boxes. 

Having not seen Calder, I don't know if he would jump Cruikshank or not.  We saw how CC did with and without Cruikshank in the toughest league and we all saw him in the POD, so I would want the person very familiar with our league.  We saw what Steven Jandric said about how tough he thought the league was after his transfer from Fairbanks, and his significant drop in numbers.  If Cruikshank is off the table, it would be nice to get a guy like Calder.  Maybe a 1a and 1b situation, where both could offer UND a lot.   Beyond the points, I think the coaches would have already done their homework on character and intangibles.  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Having not seen Calder, I don't know if he would jump Cruikshank or not.  We saw how CC did with and without Cruikshank in the toughest league and we all saw him in the POD, so I would want the person very familiar with our league.  We saw what Steven Jandric said about how tough he thought the league was after his transfer from Fairbanks, and his significant drop in numbers.  If Cruikshank is off the table, it would be nice to get a guy like Calder.  Maybe a 1a and 1b situation, where both could offer UND a lot.   Beyond the points, I think the coaches would have already done their homework on character and intangibles.  

I wonder what is going on with Cruikshank, there were reports of him going to BC and then he dispelled those rumors and we haven't heard anything since. He appears to be taking his time.

19 hours ago, tnt said:

Potentially jumped the gun with Calder jumping Cruikshank as hopefully the #1 target, although I still agree with a 1a / 1b scenario. I was excited to see him in the portal. There are not many that really fit the mold of what I believe the coaching staff is looking for. Since Calder does, I hope the full court press is on. As far as S. Jandric, I'm not worried at all about how the top talent in the WCHA translates to the NCHC. It might not be a slam dunk like Cruikshank would, but at the same time, we would all have to take a deeper dive into what didn't work this year with S. Jandric and Denver. I know you aren't saying it, but just generally speaking the coaching staff is not just looking at stats when they are offering. 

Getting ahead of myself here, but I really do think Calder or Cruiskhank would change the outlook for next year. Either one would be huge.

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

Potentially jumped the gun with Calder jumping Cruikshank as hopefully the #1 target, although I still agree with a 1a / 1b scenario. I was excited to see him in the portal. There are not many that really fit the mold of what I believe the coaching staff is looking for. Since Calder does, I hope the full court press is on. As far as S. Jandric, I'm not worried at all about how the top talent in the WCHA translates to the NCHC. It might not be a slam dunk like Cruikshank would, but at the same time, we would all have to take a deeper dive into what didn't work this year with S. Jandric and Denver. I know you aren't saying it, but just generally speaking the coaching staff is not just looking at stats when they are offering. 

Getting ahead of myself here, but I really do think Calder or Cruiskhank would change the outlook for next year. Either one would be huge.

Agree, and it looks like both would have 2 years which would be huge. And both of their #’s 16 and 21 are available to them at UND. We did win a National Championship with a Calder in the past.  (I was going to say “Natty”, but I feel dirty using that terminology unless it is to mock.)

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

Just to be safe.....take them both!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

#GucktheFophers

So is he going to Minnesota because he's used to playing on the big ice surface?  Or because he'll light it up against some of the teams in conference they'll see four times.  

Good get for the gophs though.  Anxious to see him at the Ralph sometime during the year.  

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So is he going to Minnesota because he's used to playing on the big ice surface?  Or because he'll light it up against some of the teams in conference they'll see four times.  

Good get for the gophs though.  Anxious to see him at the Ralph sometime during the year.  

Because they’re absolutely juiced for the next two years (his remaining eligibility)

33 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Cruikshank to Gophers and Brown (Lowell) to BU.
Big adds for both teams, both players have two years of eligibility left.

Now we just have to cross our fingers for Calder.

I watched a year of Brown in the USHL. Kid is a gamer. Fun to watch.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Because they’re absolutely juiced for the next two years (his remaining eligibility)

Hasn’t that been the case for the last 30 years?  We’re told all the time how good their recruiting classes are.