SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Transfer portal extravaganza

SiouxFanatic

13 hours ago, tnt said:

Just hope it doesn’t get to the point where the stud players play up the process and make a media event out of it by picking one hat from a list of suitors.

Or do an hour long special on ESPN like Lebron. #theDecision :glare:

2 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

If you sole goal in life are one sided games an imbalance in the skills, the I guess you’ll get that massive self esteem boost by watching someone else do what you wish you could. Some of us love the game, the competition, the joy of excellence, some don’t...

:blink:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

If you sole goal in life are one sided games an imbalance in the skills, the I guess you’ll get that massive self esteem boost by watching someone else do what you wish you could. Some of us love the game, the competition, the joy of excellence, some don’t...

Your assumption and perception is certainly different than mine. A team with players who have different attributes than each other. Playing in sync with each other as a single force is entertaining....  Hell, I have been entertained by this team since Gino Gaspirini was a sophomore playing in the Barn. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, BusinessSiouxt said:

Unfortunate, this will lessen the sport as a whole and provide little entertainment. This was what I feared early on and it looks like it is coming true to some degree...

You have a point but this probably isn't the year to judge with all of the COVID craziness. Long-term I would expect things to even out a bit with some 3rd or 4th line players transferring to the smaller schools.

That being said, it was never the greatest system to lock high schoolers into contracts that were very difficult to get out of. Perhaps there's a compromise to be made like giving transfer students some sort of redshirt status? I'm sure the system will be tweaked again at some point in the future. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:00 PM, Sweethockey said:

Your assumption and perception is certainly different than mine. A team with players who have different attributes than each other. Playing in sync with each other as a single force is entertaining....  Hell, I have been entertained by this team since Gino Gaspirini was a sophomore playing in the Barn. 

Man did you date yourself there ;)

16 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

My dad would take me and we would go with his buddy who was the team doctor at the time. The only trouble was when a player got hurt, they would take the injured player over to St. Mikes and my evening of watching them play was over. I was 7 in 1965. It was cold in the Barn and I remember the smell of peppermint schnapps and blackberry brandy for some reason.........

Do you remember fog on the ice?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So did the team in Grand Forks, ND. 

Both of ASU's goalies went to the portal (one was the starter for the last two seasons), where UND had a goalie sign a PTO with the Texas Stars and the other a grad-transferred 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Both of ASU's goalies went to the portal (one was the starter for the last two seasons), where UND had a goalie sign a PTO with the Texas Stars and the other a grad-transferred 

So you're saying each team was missing two goalies from their roster. (When you said lost you didn't specify lost to whom.) 

4 hours ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I remember the smell of cigar smoke in the crowded lobbies and the smell of popcorn and hotdogs.  (I was just out of high school in 1965)

Smells were a unique and important part of the charm of wood rinks, especially cold air wood rinks, which all of them were or had been. 

11 minutes ago, burd said:

Smells were a unique and important part of the charm of wood rinks, especially cold air wood rinks, which all of them were or had been. 

I remember being in the old barn at about age 5, with full gear (hat, coat, gloves, etc.) on, drinking hot chocolate to stay warm, as well as clapping and stomping a lot.  Wow, have things changed since those days.

22 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I remember being in the old barn at about age 5, with full gear (hat, coat, gloves, etc.) on, drinking hot chocolate to stay warm, as well as clapping and stomping a lot.  Wow, have things changed since those days.

My feet were the first to get cold. Wore gloves and still periodically put my hands inside my coat pockets.

16 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

My feet were the first to get cold. Wore gloves and still periodically put my hands inside my coat pockets.

I had 4 buckle winter boots  back then. Dressed just like Ralphy from “Christmas Story”. My mom knitted wool mittens, we would double up 2 pairs. Hands never got cold, but my feet would. 

• Upvote 2