SiouxSports.com Forum

New rivalry game name

gfhockey

8 minutes ago, Hawk E said:

The Nickle Trophy is made of Plaster of Paris, hard but fragile and subject to water damage.  It should stay in the museum where it's protected.

Plaster casts were hauled to a St. Paul, MN foundry where plaster copies were recast in an aluminum alloy. The halves were welded together to make the finished piece.

The Nickel, at 250 times larger than a regular five-cent piece, weighs 75 pounds and is 2 inches thick and 22 inches in diameter.

F
irst awarded in 1938.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I got a phone call from some of the higher ups in legislature last night. They don’t want the Nicole back but would like a new rivalry game

lets make suggestions here so I can report back

inam thinking BEET OFF in honor of sugar beets. A big help to our economy and we each have crystal subrars in our metro area 

Red River Rivalry with a Steamboat or a Ship's Wheel for the trophy. 

15 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Red River Trophy.

If you were going with this....I'd do something like Red River Rock, and have a rock or something.  Trophy sounds too vanilla.   Although I'm with others, my first choice would be to refashion the nickel with a Hawk on one side. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

If you were going with this....I'd do something like Red River Rock, and have a rock or something.  Trophy sounds too vanilla.   Although I'm with others, my first choice would be to refashion the nickel with a Hawk on one side. 

I like refashioning the mickle and I know this is a ND thing but in MN we are still under the “rocks and cows” statement.

Everyone knows the nickel and I would think gender neutral animals would not be offensive!

9 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I like the quirky awards (little brown jug, keg of nails, etc.) vs an actual trophy. I think a snow shovel would be cool. Paint the blade in each team's colors. Its definitely representative of North Dakota and not as regional as a badlands or red river theme.

Call it the Snow Bowl

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

We are dealing with "hook em horns". Not sure how important originality is here.

I’ve never like NDSU’s use of that hand signal.

I remember when NDSU beat Oklahoma in the NCAA basketball tourney and Saul Phillips used the horns after the game toward the ndsu fans, the Oklahoma fans were extra pissed because they thought he was adding insult to injury and using the hand signal of their rival.