SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

Time to turn the page

There are so many questions that need to be answered with this program and about this squad.  The most important of them all is going to be who is going to be the coach.  

St. Thomas joins the league next year, guessing that means now 18 conference games.  Will be exciting to see those matchups. 

Has anyone heard news regarding on the coaching position. Like who has applied and if there have been any interviews or checking in on applicants. I would like to think that they would like this settled soon so who ever is coach can get a jump on recruiting and make up the team as well retaining players. The sooner better so we can move on from this 2020 year for UND  women's basketball worst record for UND women's basketball exceeding previous worst record being UND's first year of basketball in 74-75 with 3-14 record the next worst records were in 78-79 with record of 5-18, and 86-87 with record of 7-20  where we had coaching changes after those seasons . Interesting following seasons after coaching changes we had 19 win team and 22 win team in following years.

Will we see some movement on coach this coming week with number of conference tournaments wrapping up in this week. I would think as teams are eliminated people will become available to be interviewed or applicants to get tour of UND to get handle on school and the program to see if they are interested in following through in the job  process. Really tough to be not involved in conference tourney it like we had no season at all when you don't qualify for conference tourney and it got to hurt on the recruiting front not being mentioned at conference tourney or having any presence their.

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

We have two finalists!

Interim head coach Mallory Bernhard

LSU assistant coach Aaron Kallhoff 

The Aaron Kallhoff File
Hometown: Norfolk, Nebraska
Education: Bemidji State, 2003 (Mass Communications)
Experience: 3rd season at LSU in 2020-21

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
1998-99 Iowa Central CC
1999-2000 Northeast Nebraska CC
2001-03 Bemidji State

COACHING EXPERIENCE
2003-06 Allen County CC, men’s assistant coach
2006-07 Seward County CC, men’s assistant coach
2007-08 Allen County CC, head coach
2008-12 Hill College, head coach
2012-13 Trinity Valley CC, assistant coach
2013-15 Arkansas State, assistant coach
2015-18 TCU, assistant coach
2018-present LSU, assistant coach

In his first two seasons at LSU, Kallhoff has played an instrumental role in bringing top national and international players to LSU, including a Top 20 recruiting class in 2019.

5 minutes ago, FSSD said:

The Aaron Kallhoff File
Hometown: Norfolk, Nebraska
Education: Bemidji State, 2003 (Mass Communications)
Experience: 3rd season at LSU in 2020-21

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
1998-99 Iowa Central CC
1999-2000 Northeast Nebraska CC
2001-03 Bemidji State

COACHING EXPERIENCE
2003-06 Allen County CC, men’s assistant coach
2006-07 Seward County CC, men’s assistant coach
2007-08 Allen County CC, head coach
2008-12 Hill College, head coach
2012-13 Trinity Valley CC, assistant coach
2013-15 Arkansas State, assistant coach
2015-18 TCU, assistant coach
2018-present LSU, assistant coach

In his first two seasons at LSU, Kallhoff has played an instrumental role in bringing top national and international players to LSU, including a Top 20 recruiting class in 2019.

Impressive, hope they hire with their head, not their heart.

• Upvote 1

Know I am probably in the minority on this board, but would like to see what Coach Bernhard can do with a year of experience. Understand that the first year was not good, but it was an unusual year. Seems like the recruits she was able to get during the pandemic might fit needed roles in the roster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Know I am probably in the minority on this board, but would like to see what Coach Bernhard can do with a year of experience. Understand that the first year was not good, but it was an unusual year. Seems like the recruits she was able to get during the pandemic might fit needed roles in the roster. 

I agree. 

I'm not sure how much better Coach Bernhard and her staff could have done with a roster leftover from Brew and with the injuries and illnesses. Brew did very little recruiting his last couple years and really handcuffed his assistants in their efforts. So, shorthanded to start and then playing with partial rosters all year is tough.

As you can see from Kalhoff's resume he is interested in climbing. The search would likely begin again before long. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

I agree. 

I'm not sure how much better Coach Bernhard and her staff could have done with a roster leftover from Brew and with the injuries and illnesses. Brew did very little recruiting his last couple years and really handcuffed his assistants in their efforts. So, shorthanded to start and then playing with partial rosters all year is tough.

As you can see from Kalhoff's resume he is interested in climbing. The search would likely begin again before long. 

The search would likely begin if he did some good things here and started to return the team to prominence.  At that point it is easier to get someone to take over a productive program as opposed to one that is floundering to the point where people think that 2 wins deserves a look.   Let's remember, Brewster probably would have been happy to stay here for a long time, so I don't think ambition should be looked at as a detriment. 

I cant believe all the homers on this page.  Coach Bernard had a hand in recruiting these players.  She also had a year of coaching a team that pretty much was the same team as the previous year with another year of experience.  Yet the record was one of the worse records in UND history.  I am sure Coach is a good person and a great basketball legend at UND, but that doesn't mean she is a good coach.   UND needs to take this opportunity to get fresh blood in here to maybe have recruiting connections outside of this region.  If they don't take this opportunity for a fresh start this could hold us back years from progressing with the other schools in the summit league.  

If you look at the experience between what Coach Kallhoff has done in his career compared to Coach Bernhard.  It shouldnt even be a close decision.  The only reason she gets this position is because she is a UND alum and (no offense here) female.    If you go by experience he gets the job.  She coached high school basketball, assistant coach at the school she played for.  Then one year as interim coach and ended up with one of the worst records in school history.  

• Upvote 2