SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

I think its just time to have fresh start and i think Bernhard just needs more time before she ready to take over a division I program. She needs more actual coaching experience and to have experience from different coaching philosophies only been under two coaches from the same tree to say . If other comments on the candidate are accurate looks like he has this  varied experience and has been working his way up the latter. There's nothing wrong with somebody ambitious and want to get ahead and who knows what any candidate wants but we need somebody that will be successful and build this program up again to what it was high level women's basketball program and winner.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I cant believe all the homers on this page.  Coach Bernard had a hand in recruiting these players.  She also had a year of coaching a team that pretty much was the same team as the previous year with another year of experience.  Yet the record was one of the worse records in UND history.  I am sure Coach is a good person and a great basketball legend at UND, but that doesn't mean she is a good coach.   UND needs to take this opportunity to get fresh blood in here to maybe have recruiting connections outside of this region.  If they don't take this opportunity for a fresh start this could hold us back years from progressing with the other schools in the summit league.  

If you look at the experience between what Coach Kallhoff has done in his career compared to Coach Bernhard.  It shouldnt even be a close decision.  The only reason she gets this position is because she is a UND alum and (no offense here) female.    If you go by experience he gets the job.  She coached high school basketball, assistant coach at the school she played for.  Then one year as interim coach and ended up with one of the worst records in school history.  

The head coach makes all recruiting decisions including who to talk to, who to offer, right down to how many days a staff can recruit. 
Assistants can have a big impact on whether a kid comes to a school but they don’t decide who to recruit. 

3 hours ago, Farawayfan said:

I agree. 

I'm not sure how much better Coach Bernhard and her staff could have done with a roster leftover from Brew and with the injuries and illnesses. Brew did very little recruiting his last couple years and really handcuffed his assistants in their efforts. So, shorthanded to start and then playing with partial rosters all year is tough.

As you can see from Kalhoff's resume he is interested in climbing. The search would likely begin again before long. 

That is a good thing. I hope he has a couple younger "climbers" on his staff....one of who could stay when he has drawn the attention of larger schools.

15 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

The head coach makes all recruiting decisions including who to talk to, who to offer, right down to how many days a staff can recruit. 
Assistants can have a big impact on whether a kid comes to a school but they don’t decide who to recruit. 

So you are saying all the Michigan girls we have offered scholarships to over the past year had nothing to do with Assistant Coach Motherwell who is a native of Michigan? Coach Bernard made the decision to talk to all those girls?   I don't believe that a assistant coach has no say in the recruiting of a player, yes the head coach has the final say on who gets the scholarship.  If an assistant coach doesn't want to offer or does want to offer I believe their opinion matters to the head coach.  Just like I believe Coach Bernhard had her say on recruits on the current team.  

We need to give Mallory our full support. I wouldn’t be surprised if does well. She had everything go wrong for her this year:

- No opportunity to work with the girls over the summer.

- Only one available scholarship which she had to use on a point guard without the ability to meet her in person.  Many coaches were faced with this challenge but most didn’t just get the job.

- Mallory certainly had a hand in recruiting the current roster but I can assure you that the roster would have been different had she been the head coach the prior couple of years.

- Players came to fall camp hurt or not ready to contribute.

- COVID and injuries resulted in often not having 10 players for practice and a few games with us having only 8 players.  

- We didn’t have the opportunity to play some weaker teams early which would have allowed us to gain some confidence and have the opportunity to try different player combinations, different defenses and offensive schemes.  

- More injuries including our only real PG being out for the season. 

-  Inability to win some early season games that were winnable.  Maybe some of that was coaching but I think it was simply other teams having better talent and our ladies just “not knowing how to win”.

The decision has been made and I wouldn’t be overly surprised if 2-3 years from now we don’t all agree that it was a good decision!

• Upvote 3

Will be looking to see if she can make the tough decisions by dumping the dead weight this offseason. Don’t want to hear, she would have recruited different, so now is her chance to remake the roster. We’ll see.

It's going to sound trivial to some of you, but, can we refer to the WBB leader as "Coach Bernhard" now that the interim is off.

Let's do that out of respect ... and to set the expectation for the new, no longer interim, coach. 

(Yes, we have Bubs and Bubba, but even Hakstol was Hak and not Dave, and Coach Lennon was Coach, not Dale.)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Hope it works for Mallory but I just can’t see the coaching instinct 

she had some aweful decision making moments this year 

I'm going to stay confident that she and her staff put in the work (film sessions, reflection and self assessment) and they learn from any situations they identify where they could have made different decisions.
It's when people think they know it all that you have more to worry about.
Anyone know where one can watch the press conference online?

6 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

I'm going to stay confident that she and her staff put in the work (film sessions, reflection and self assessment) and they learn from any situations they identify where they could have made different decisions.
It's when people think they know it all that you have more to worry about.
Anyone know where one can watch the press conference online?

A link will be sent (this morning) to media members wishing to attend the press conference and ask questions of Bernhard, Chaves, per UND Athletics.