SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

11 hours ago, FSSD said:

So, how long does she get?  Ignore this year and clock starts now.  It took Roebuck 3 years.. he inherited a 2-12 team and then went:  9-5, 6-8 to 16-2, 17-1 ... and on.

She doesn't get a pass on this year.  The 2022-23 team better be .500 or better.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm honestly a little surprised by the move, but lets rally around coach Bernhard and the team and hope that she is successful.  

Like with the mens squad, I need to see how the roster shakes out before I predict how things go for 21-22.  

Yes, could be lots of changes.
image.png.4ea553b18b2472de11824bfc3afeeab4.png

• Upvote 1

I agree that Bernhard needs full support and even though i supported a change but once the decision been made i wish her success because i still believe she can become good coach i just think its going to take time to grow in the position. Chaves must believe she can become the coach for the future of UND. I will say that this past season one positive is that players did believe in her at least the ones that played this year. Lets hope we have more of normal year to get the program back on track.  Side bar i see that Brewster as assistant coach for Idaho State will be in NCAA tournament this year.

Bernhard as a former standout student-athlete, assistant coach, and now head coach is a unique feat. I hope she is successful! She needs to take the necessary steps to improve:

1. She needs to upgrade her staff. Coach Mo has the Michigan connection, but other than that... What are the other coaches doing? We rarely see them being active on the bench, social media platforms, recruiting, or adding much value to the program. As a young HC, you can't have lack of experience or knowledge on the bench. There is no reason that changes shouldn't be made going into the next season. This is the prime time to hire. 2 wins last year is enough to answer that question.

2. They need to step up their game recruiting. It sounds like she is aware of that. At the end of the day, recruiting is the lifeline of college athletics. This past season was atrocious due to the lack of talent and depth. This is something that needs to be addressed right now and the transfer portal is a good place to start. How about kids like Lyndsey Robson or Erin Norling that they recruited out of HS. Colorado State and Utah State have half their rosters transferring. There are many junior colleges in the area. They need to find a way to bring back high level talent like they had in 2013-2018.

• Like 1

I still feel Chaves has made two questionable hires with UND Volleyball and Women's basketball teams.  Both hires were assistant coaches and both have struggled.  I guess time will tell if they were right or not.  I don't want to see UND go down the same path as NDSU women's basketball....  

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

This is a good sign

Again another Homer comment that only someone who played at UND or was a coach at UND can be hired at UND.  Any influence from a coach from over a decade ago should not matter other then a character reference.    This philosophy maybe worked in D2 but its not going to work with D1 when there is a lot more competition.   I am new UND fan and never went to the school here,  so i am looking at it from a outsiders position.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Chaves has no balls to pick outside the box 

The athletic department has nothing close to your W-2 to play with for WBB. 
An assistant may take less a salary than someone out of the box, they are already on the team and in the community.
She was already on a W-2, so a little raise and Chaves sets the hook, almost effortlessly.