SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #2-Denver (MONDAY NIGHT HOCKEY!!!!!!!!)

Wilbur

The reason the no-show on Sunday was so frustrating to me is because of games on the road like last night where you can get railroaded by bad or borderline calls and not get reciprocal calls.  You can play at the top of your game and still have trouble winning because of that.  How many times are you going to kill off a 5 minute major and a 5 on 3, much less in the same time period?   So thankful they fought through all of that. 

9 hours ago, tnt said:

First goal early was huge, as it put Denver on their heels and took the wind out of their sails right away. No surprise that the person that filled the Cole Smith character role was Senden. Doesn’t have the size, but really sticks his nose in there.  Good call by the coaches to put that line out first to set the tempo.

I can see Louis Jamernik filling that role as well. Very encouraging so far.

Dave

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I can see Louis Jamernik filling that role as well. Very encouraging so far.

Dave

Top 3 lines should stick barring injury or Judd vanishing in consecutive games. I thought Judd was really good last night. Weatherby is a 4th line centerman right now due to his play

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The reason the no-show on Sunday was so frustrating to me is because of games on the road like last night where you can get railroaded by bad or borderline calls and not get reciprocal calls.  You can play at the top of your game and still have trouble winning because of that.  How many times are you going to kill off a 5 minute major and a 5 on 3, much less in the same time period?   So thankful they fought through all of that. 

First period was easily our best period of the new year, and then we were just jumbled killing penalties and not getting any kind of rhythm the second or third period.  

Probably a good thing for Denver, because the guys in black were absolutely flying to start the game. 

16 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

I didn’t watch. Who said it? And in what context? Thanks.

It was after a whistle in our zone, I believe it was that crappy call when we were already killing the five minute major. There was a scrum by the net and one of our players said this clear as day to Bobby Brink. It was really funny at the time.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

It was after a whistle in our zone, I believe it was that crappy call when we were already killing the five minute major. There was a scrum by the net and one of our players said this clear as day to Bobby Brink. It was really funny at the time.

It looked to me like JBD cross checked him but it also looked like Savoie was already in the process of blowing a tire and going down too so not really sure how hard he really got cross checked. 

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

It looked to me like JBD cross checked him but it also looked like Savoie was already in the process of blowing a tire and going down too so not really sure how hard he really got cross checked. 

JBD was called for cross-checking Savioe, it was a horrible call, as JBD barely touched him. In that process is where the infamous "What the !@#$ you going to do Bobby" comment came.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

JBD was called for cross-checking Savioe, it was a horrible call, as JBD barely touched him. In that process is where the infamous "What the !@#$ you going to do Bobby" comment came.

I don’t disagree but if you watch the replay, JBD clearly had two hands on the shaft of his stick and he makes the cross checking motion and comes into contact with the DU player. From the Ref’s vantage point, I can see why he put his arm up and called the penalty but yah, it was weak as the DU player was falling and sold it as well. 

22 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I don’t disagree but if you watch the replay, JBD clearly had two hands on the shaft of his stick and he makes the cross checking motion and comes into contact with the DU player. From the Ref’s vantage point, I can see why he put his arm up and called the penalty but yah, it was weak as the DU player was falling and sold it as well. 

Two hands on the stick and hitting the player square in the back is cross checking. Period. I agree that the DU player was probably going to hit the ice anyway, but that call is going to be made every time. Especially when you do it right in front of the ref. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

No question he put his stick to the back but it was such little force. You see that play a lot along the boards with no such call, plus given UND was already on a 5 minute major, you would think it would have to be pretty egregious for them to call another penalty and make it 5x3.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Two hands on the stick and hitting the player square in the back is cross checking. Period. I agree that the DU player was probably going to hit the ice anyway, but that call is going to be made every time. Especially when you do it right in front of the ref. 

I am sorry the inconsistency is just too much, especially given the 5 minute major.

52 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Didn’t he get DU to take multiple penalties during a single face off?  He kept running his mouth and they kept retaliating and going to the box.

Probably my favorite (possibly only) memory of him.  That was so much fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

If you watch the replay of it from the other angle it's obviously clear that he dropped to the ice as soon as he felt the stick on his back. There's was no force put into it. 

• Like 1