SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #2-Denver (MONDAY NIGHT HOCKEY!!!!!!!!)

Wilbur

57 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If they'd announced the additional game the next day and said it was due to the short amount of time left in the game it would be better received by UND fans.

My recollection is Perunovich didn't receive supplementary discipline last year for his checking from behind, is that correct? That was worse than this.

When I talked favoritism, Perunovich was on top of the list but not number 1. Wolfe was allowed to get away with murder for 4 years. UMD, for some unknown reason has played some of the chippiest hockey yet they always get the pivotal power play to have that one chance...

9 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

It wasn’t worse than the Pionk hit, but I agree with the 5, the game and the additional and I’ll tell you why. The team obviously was rubbing it in at this point and Grant made no attempt to avoid and appeared, maybe just to me, to stiffen that shoulder and arm to maximize the impact of the hit. Chroma was in a poor position to take the hit and I think folks are stretching to say he embellished it. Pionk, on the other hand, should have been suspended for several games. That hit was an embarrassment to NCHC officiating and showed unreasonable favoritism. I hammered UMD fans well into the following season over that situation.

If Chrona wasn't bracing for it, I would agree with you, but I find it hard to believe that Mismash at 6'1, 195 could send a goalie 6'6, 216 without pads spinning that out of control even though he was standing still.   You see guys trying to deliver hits all of the time on guys standing still and many times they find themselves on the ground because the other guy is more solid and bracing himself.  Guess Magnus might be the only one who really knows if he was trying to put one over on the officials.  

10 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

It wasn’t worse than the Pionk hit, but I agree with the 5, the game and the additional and I’ll tell you why. The team obviously was rubbing it in at this point and Grant made no attempt to avoid and appeared, maybe just to me, to stiffen that shoulder and arm to maximize the impact of the hit. Chroma was in a poor position to take the hit and I think folks are stretching to say he embellished it. Pionk, on the other hand, should have been suspended for several games. That hit was an embarrassment to NCHC officiating and showed unreasonable favoritism. I hammered UMD fans well into the following season over that situation.

Always good to have logical discussion from both sides of a topic.  I like to think I'm the first to eat crow when I'm wrong on something (been wrong many times).  I used to be a goalie and got hit a bunch on plays like that where guys just didn't give a $hit and ran me over like that driving to the net on their off wing.  Definitely a penalty on Grant.  Completely agree with a penalty, and a stupid penalty at the time to take.  Chrona shouldn't expect to get hit as he's protected.  Of all the times I got hit the same way Chrona did not once did I end up spinning and throwing my goal stick while flopping my arms back like that.  We will have to agree to disagree on the embellishment.  I like to think being a dumb former goalie I error on the side of protecting the brotherhood, but I watched that play 50 times, and in my humble opinion, Chrona sells it.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Always good to have logical discussion from both sides of a topic.  I like to think I'm the first to eat crow when I'm wrong on something (been wrong many times).  I used to be a goalie and got hit a bunch on plays like that where guys just didn't give a $hit and ran me over like that driving to the net on their off wing.  Definitely a penalty on Grant.  Completely agree with a penalty, and a stupid penalty at the time to take.  Chrona shouldn't expect to get hit as he's protected.  Of all the times I got hit the same way Chrona did not once did I end up spinning and throwing my goal stick while flopping my arms back like that.  We will have to agree to disagree on the embellishment.  I like to think being a dumb former goalie I error on the side of protecting the brotherhood, but I watched that play 50 times, and in my humble opinion, Chrona sells it.   

Wilbur, a former goalie and therefore a little weird by definition, makes good points.   I think the bottom line for Mismash and other UND players is that you just don't put the other player in a position where they can successfully sell a major penalty.  Mismash is known to take dumb penalties from time to time, and we don't want that to cost us come tournament time.  

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, burd said:

Wilbur, a former goalie and therefore a little weird by definition, makes good points.   I think the bottom line for Mismash and other UND players is that you just don't put the other player in a position where they can successfully sell a major penalty.  Mismash is known to take dumb penalties from time to time, and we don't want that to cost us come tournament time.  

I completely agree.  I even recall a few times where Mismash tried stick out his leg in reaction to a guy slipping by him.  I thought how lucky he is that he barely missed.  It is dangerous for both parties.  I'd like to think that the coaches get on players on the bench when they see episodes like that both out of concern for safety of everybody involved and just how easily a five minute major and ejection can completely change the outcome of a game, and if it happens at tournament time, a season. Even if Chrona was trying to sell it, the officials look at intent as well, and Mismash looked like he thought being pushed gave him a free pass.   Let's hope Mismash isn't as casual in regards to those issues in the future.  He above all people knows how it feels to miss a good portion of a season because of someone's careless action. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think he looked so awkward on his sell job because his first intention was to let the stick go over the goal as he did his spin but realized he might clip his teammate so he held onto it and released it when he fell backwards.

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

He was the best. I remember watching him mouth off to a guy pre face off. Drew a hug slash before the puck was even dropped and he just smiled as the guy went to the box.

it was against denver, and after the face off there was a big scrum on the boards, and more players went to the box

12 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Remembered a certain Mismash injury from about two years ago, and Berry's comments then vs now, give this piece a read before offering feedback, needless to say the difference of opinion is Brad Berry's here. https://seamoresports.com/2021/01/20/und-mens-hockeys-conflicting-views-on-major-penalties-some-thoughts/

Ciskie write this?

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Remembered a certain Mismash injury from about two years ago, and Berry's comments then vs now, give this piece a read before offering feedback, needless to say the difference of opinion is Brad Berry's here. https://seamoresports.com/2021/01/20/und-mens-hockeys-conflicting-views-on-major-penalties-some-thoughts/

I would take your article seriously if you called out Chrona for diving. He essentially did this to himself by messing up the dive by flailing his arms instead of using them to protect his head on the way down. I can live with the 5 min penalty and the game DQ, but the additional suspension is an absolute joke. Much like this article.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

This article is straight hot-fire garbage. Your utter lack of hockey knowledge is once again displayed. Sticking a knee out to injure and making incidental protective contact after being pushed from behind is completely different.

Are you Chrona's mom?

The flailing dive was socceresque.

He deserves every bit of shot to the head he gave himself in his blatant attempt to increase a 2 min minor to a 5.

What a joke.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, tnt said:

If Chrona wasn't bracing for it, I would agree with you, but I find it hard to believe that Mismash at 6'1, 195 could send a goalie 6'6, 216 without pads spinning that out of control even though he was standing still.   You see guys trying to deliver hits all of the time on guys standing still and many times they find themselves on the ground because the other guy is more solid and bracing himself.  Guess Magnus might be the only one who really knows if he was trying to put one over on the officials.  

But, take into account Chrona’s position and the centrifugal affect of goal pads. I think he was in a bad, and yes vulnerable, position. I think Grant was being aggressive, but don’t believe intent to injure was there. It was reckless.

If this kind of contact isn’t managed by the coaches across the NCHC, we’ll end up with more, stricter, reviewable penalties. I love hockey, I think we need to keep it hockey. They wrestled over overtime for years to shorten the game time to make up for reviews. At least now they drop the effin puck for face offs...

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This article is straight hot-fire garbage. Your utter lack of hockey knowledge is once again displayed. Sticking a knee out to injure and making incidental protective contact after being pushed from behind is completely different.

Are you Chrona's mom?

The flailing dive was socceresque.

He deserves every bit of shot to the head he gave himself in his blatant attempt to increase a 2 min minor to a 5.

What a joke.

As always, thanks for reading! Have a superb day!