SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #2-Denver (MONDAY NIGHT HOCKEY!!!!!!!!)

Wilbur

Like I said, definitely a penalty.  You have to pull up.  Have to.  But if Chrona (6'5 200 plus), doesn't flop like a Freshman at Gamma Phi on jungle juice night its not even discussed.  

Get hit, hold your head, throw your stick.....it'll be a major. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

We will be watching NCHC to see if you are consistent with this.  If I were Brad Berry, I would send footage of Pionk plowing into Cam Johnson and find out why that was not worthy of getting booted from that game, much less a suspension after the fact.  Let's not forget, that in that same game, Kotyk injured Tucker Poolman causing him to miss the NCAA tournament by drilling him into the boards from behind with no repercussions either.  Of course we are in Don Adams world, where Robbie Bina's injury didn't deserve a major.  

I don't think they even called a penalty when Cam got ran over in that game.

Edit: I was wrong he was called 

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He found video.  Watching it again he deserved two, and I won't lose sleep over the major, but supplementary discipline is absurd. All time goofy flop too.

I tend to agree.  I have no problem calling it a penalty.  I probably wouldn't even complain too much about a 5, although that has to be about the minimum necessary for a 5, but I can't agree on the additional discipline.  One of the things I observed watching the replay the night of the game, and again on this replay, is that Chrona clearly braces himself for the contact, and actually raises his left forearm across his body in sort of a blocking motion as he braces for the collision.

13 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I tend to agree.  I have no problem calling it a penalty.  I probably wouldn't even complain too much about a 5, although that has to be about the minimum necessary for a 5, but I can't agree on the additional discipline.  One of the things I observed watching the replay the night of the game, and again on this replay, is that Chrona clearly braces himself for the contact, and actually raises his left forearm across his body in sort of a blocking motion as he braces for the collision.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but watching the replay again, it is clear to me that he tried to embellish the hit to draw the penalty and over did it. Penalty yes, suspension and the goons coming out of the woodwork, No offense @Goon, no. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

LetsGoDU has a dog in the race; can't fault him for getting worked up about the team he follows. Ciskie is making a fool of himself for no good reason.

Funny thing is that when I saw that LetsGoDU started hitting on the issue I wondered if Ciksie would chime in and make an idiot of himself (again).  Sure enough.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Funny thing is that when I saw that LetsGoDU started hitting on the issue I wondered if Ciksie would chime in and make an idiot of himself (again).  Sure enough.  

His unnecessary use of "surmise" is telling about his personality too. Complete tool. But Brad isn't objective enough in his coverage of UND, according to their fans.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I like how he said that Mismash had three full strides to avoid contact, yet the replay shows that the DU defender was still pushing into Mismash's back about a foot or two in front of Chrona.  Ha.

I am putting the NCAA rule book definition for "Charging" into this post for reference.  Why they would call this charging when he did not take strides, or traveled a "great distance", or leave his feet is the reason I question the call.  It was a two minute goaltender interference penalty.  Period.  Once again, because he got hurt due to an uncoordinated flop, the NCHC took action that was not fitting the crime.  They need to stop the flops, but I do not see this happening.  The Pionk hit was far worse as there was no defensemen pushing him into the goalie, and he led with the forearm while skating into the crease.

Rule 43 - Charging 43.1 Charging - A player shall not skate more than two strides and jump into or charge an opponent. Charging is the action of a player, who as a result of distance traveled, checks an opponent violently in any manner from the front or side. Note: A legal body check is one in which a player checks an opponent who is in possession of the puck, by using the hip or body from the front or diagonally from the front or straight from the side. PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee. A game misconduct or disqualification may be assessed at the discretion of the referee. A player shall not charge or otherwise foul a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within the crease or privileged area (see 71.2). PENALTY—Minor or major at the discretion of the referee. A game misconduct or disqualification may be assessed at the discretion of the referee.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but watching the replay again, it is clear to me that he tried to embellish the hit to draw the penalty and over did it. Penalty yes, suspension and the goons coming out of the woodwork, No offense @Goon, no. 

Goons are people too. :);) 

• Like 1

Once again, I ask the league to be transparent and explain why that egregious hit by Pionk doesn’t get discipline despite not being touched by anyone, yet Mismash gets supplemental punishment after getting pushed.  While you’re at it, explain why Todd Anderson didn’t review Mismash getting slashed by I believe Schuldt, when he was down on the ice in pain, putting him out most of the second half of the season.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

He completely loses any credibility as a hockey mind by saying that the Mismash play was worse than what Pionk did.

Pionk even finished his hit and followed through.....

It wasn’t worse than the Pionk hit, but I agree with the 5, the game and the additional and I’ll tell you why. The team obviously was rubbing it in at this point and Grant made no attempt to avoid and appeared, maybe just to me, to stiffen that shoulder and arm to maximize the impact of the hit. Chroma was in a poor position to take the hit and I think folks are stretching to say he embellished it. Pionk, on the other hand, should have been suspended for several games. That hit was an embarrassment to NCHC officiating and showed unreasonable favoritism. I hammered UMD fans well into the following season over that situation.

45 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

It wasn’t worse than the Pionk hit, but I agree with the 5, the game and the additional and I’ll tell you why. The team obviously was rubbing it in at this point and Grant made no attempt to avoid and appeared, maybe just to me, to stiffen that shoulder and arm to maximize the impact of the hit. Chroma was in a poor position to take the hit and I think folks are stretching to say he embellished it. Pionk, on the other hand, should have been suspended for several games. That hit was an embarrassment to NCHC officiating and showed unreasonable favoritism. I hammered UMD fans well into the following season over that situation.

If they'd announced the additional game the next day and said it was due to the short amount of time left in the game it would be better received by UND fans.

My recollection is Perunovich didn't receive supplementary discipline last year for his checking from behind, is that correct? That was worse than this.

• Upvote 1