SiouxSports.com Forum

New UND Womens Basketball Coach

ND-fan

I know with all other things going on in the world this may not seem to have much priority but I thought I would bring it up just to get people thinking of something else.  I also got to believe that AD Chaves may have more time to devote to it now with all of college sports shut down currently. I have no idea what UND or what AD is thinking on this are they looking into UND ties or are they going to go outside looking for totally new blood for the position. I have to believe it will be attractive position for new coach because there is talent here and has been successful program in the past. I would like to here people with more of know or up on people who are available for the position.

I am a new UND fan but I hope that they don't strictly use someone that has ties to UND.  Seems like here every coaching position people want some sort of tie to UND.  I hope they get the best coach available whether they have ties to the school or not. Whether they are male or female.   This is a chance to do a nation wide search and see who is out there.  Like it was said this could be a attractive position for someone.  We have some talent on the team that just needs to develop.  I feel they wasted a year with the previous coach.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, und1995 said:

I think Karla Nelson should be given a look. Impressive record at MSUM and great local recruits. 

Agree with this. Nelson has gotten the better local athletes over NDSU recently, at least before Collins arrived. Not sure if that will continue but she seems to be able to recognize and develop talent. 

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Might as well kept brew and saved on buyiut 

I think they needed to move on.  I don't think they could have done another year with Brew. 

Watching them in Sioux Falls told me that they needed to make a move. 

Unfortunately, circumstances beyond UNDs control have appeared to stop them from what they wanted to do. 

All of that coupled with some likely uncertainty in finances at play as well. NCAA announced that payments are going to be reduced and Champions Club renewals coming out in the next few weeks isn't exactly great timing. 

Can't get candidates on campus and how long do you go with uncertainty. Interesting it was for the whole season but I'm sure it wasn't done on a whim. 

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Bernhard will be the interim for next year.

Good move by Chaves. Considering how difficult it would be to interview candidates, Bernhard getting an opportunity to take the helm is a move that may be looked back upon as a fortuitous event. 50 - 4 is a pretty darn good record, even at the high school level.

More explanation needed by Chaves on this move especially so early in the search process.

Feels like we will fall another year behind the other schools in terms of coaching and recruiting (especially when you don't know who the coach will be).

College coaching is much different then high school coaching.

• Upvote 1

I think that Mallory has the potential to be a pleasant surprise.  First of all, she played, and starred, for four years under an excellent college coach.   She undoubtedly learned a lot under Roebuck and knows how to apply it, as evidenced by the fact that she won two state championships in two years as a high school head coach, going 51-4.  Finally, she has seven years of experience as an assistant coach at the D1 level, the last one as the associate head coach.  Her first challenge will be reaching out to the top players on the roster and getting them to stay on and convincing them that they can take a big step next season.  Next, she'll have to make some hard decisions regarding underclassmen and then recruit to fill some holes, notably point guard and a 4 man (lady) that can rebound.  I think that she'll bring a lot of energy to this challenge and surprise a lot of people next season.

• Upvote 1

Based on what was shared here earlier she probably has a better relationship with the players than Brewster. She also helped recruit the current team and is a main contact for new and potential recruits. We will be no worse than last year and if mindset and attitude change that could result in a couple of additional wins. We have some development to achieve to reach USD level.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 94 said:

More explanation needed by Chaves on this move especially so early in the search process.

Feels like we will fall another year behind the other schools in terms of coaching and recruiting (especially when you don't know who the coach will be).

College coaching is much different then high school coaching.

Unless Chaves had Brew's successor in mind and had been in contact with him/her, this was a good decision on his part for a variety of reasons:

• many coaches (and their families) who may have interest in the job may be reluctant to travel for interviews and potentially plan a move of their family due to today's uncertainties and how long these uncertainties will last.  This could easily result in fewer (and less qualified) applicants.
  • as others have mentioned, Mallory knows the program well, has recruited many of the ladies on the current roster, they respect her and she has been very successful as a head coach (granted this was at a lower level).
  • ladies on the roster deserve to know what the near future (next year) holds for the team.  We don't want any of the talented players to move on due to the unknown.
  • recruiting needs to continue.  Sometimes timing is very important.  It was obvious that the timing was right to offer the Aumer girl from Mora a couple of weeks ago.  I agree it is not an ideal situation that prospects won't know who the future coach may be.

Bottom line - I think this was the correct decision by Chaves.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Mallory isn't UND"s coach 3-4 years from now! 

• Upvote 2

I think she's gonna be very good based on the thoughts posted by others above.

I don't understand the overwhelming desire by some to always seek someone other than a coach within the system. It's like the shiny new toy from outside is always the ONLY option. I know it's worked in the Men's BB program, but to deny Mallory a shot just because she's in the UND system is not logical.