SiouxSports.com Forum

New UND Womens Basketball Coach

ND-fan

10 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Seriously, why is she interim?  Through 2022?  I'm really asking, not trying to be a smart ass.  

That just seems strange. I think you understand the situation pretty well. 

I do.  Your a smart ass.  Leave politics  out of this thread.

She has one season to prove herself.  She will do fine.  

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I do.  Your a smart ass.  Leave politics  out of this thread.

She has one season to prove herself.  She will do fine.  

I read on the UND website she was extended through 21-22.  I just that was odd if she was considered interim.  Unless it was a typo?  I wondered why?  That's beyond one season.

8 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I read on the UND website she was extended through 21-22.  I just that was odd if she was considered interim.  Unless it was a typo?  I wondered why?  That's beyond one season.

She was originally named interim head coach when Brewster was let go in early March. At the end of March, UND decided to pause the head coach search due to current events and stated Bernhard would serve as the head coach through 2020-21 season. She is still considered the interim head coach but will have the upcoming season to prove herself.

I'm not sure where you are seeing she was named the head coach for the next two seasons, though depending on how things shake out over the next few months, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Ideally, she proves herself and signs a multi-year contract.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

She was originally named interim head coach when Brewster was let go in early March. At the end of March, UND decided to pause the head coach search due to current events and stated Bernhard would serve as the head coach through 2020-21 season. She is still considered the interim head coach but will have the upcoming season to prove herself.

I'm not sure where you are seeing she was named the head coach for the next two seasons, though depending on how things shake out over the next few months, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Ideally, she proves herself and signs a multi-year contract.

I hope so too.  I'll look for that and post the link.  I think it was just a typo and they meant 20-21. 

This is where I saw the 21-22 extension.

https://www.kvrr.com/2020/03/31/meet-the-not-so-new-head-coach-und-womens-basketballs-mallory-bernhard/

"After North Dakota Athletic Director Bill Chaves announced Travis Brewster would not return as women’s basketball head coach three weeks ago, associate head coach Mallory Bernhard was named as the interim. On Monday, the interim tag was extended through the 2021-22 season."

15 minutes ago, Kab said:

With Covid, extending this was a good move

what difference does it make to you anyway 

good luck Mallory

I hope she succeeds.  I like to see UND alumni come back to our school and do well.

Where did I say it doesn't make a difference to me?  Goodness, you have thin skin.

1 hour ago, Hayduke1 said:

This is where I saw the 21-22 extension.

https://www.kvrr.com/2020/03/31/meet-the-not-so-new-head-coach-und-womens-basketballs-mallory-bernhard/

"After North Dakota Athletic Director Bill Chaves announced Travis Brewster would not return as women’s basketball head coach three weeks ago, associate head coach Mallory Bernhard was named as the interim. On Monday, the interim tag was extended through the 2021-22 season."

Guesing KVRR is wrong. The UND release the day before that article came out reads differently:

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Bill Chaves announced Monday that interim head women's basketball coach Mallory Bernhard will serve in that capacity through the 2020-21 season.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2020/3/30/womens-basketball-bernhard-to-remain-interim-head-coach-through-2020-21-season.aspx

I think there is A LOT of thin skin on here.  I didnt take anything away from the way she is recruiting or that I dont think she will do a good job.  I get she needs to stay on top of recruiting but I have never seen a head coach let alone a interim coach make as many offers as I have seen to underclassmen.  Alot of Sophomore offers.  A new coach could come and not like these offers.  Are they able to rescind them?  They should just make her the head coach and let her do her thing.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

I think there is A LOT of thin skin on here.  I didnt take anything away from the way she is recruiting or that I dont think she will do a good job.  I get she needs to stay on top of recruiting but I have never seen a head coach let alone a interim coach make as many offers as I have seen to underclassmen.  Alot of Sophomore offers.  A new coach could come and not like these offers.  Are they able to rescind them?  They should just make her the head coach and let her do her thing.  

While it isn’t the ideal thing to do, any coach can pull back an offer anytime before an athlete signs a LOI (during their junior seasons). Similarly, a recruit can also renege on a commitment anytime before he/she signs.  Both instances occur often. 

Wouldn’t you expect the coach to think positively and look toward the future. If she is successful and gets the extension, she would want to have already developed relationships with athletes that will be sought after by the competition. She should plan for success, don’t you think?

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...