SiouxSports.com Forum

New UND Womens Basketball Coach

ND-fan

I am on board with giving her a shot based on the current world situation. She has proven herself to have a winner's mentality as a player and coach. She is young, with a winning pedigree that hopefully recruits will connect with. This team knows her so hopefully that eliminates transfer risks. She has been on staff for seven years so she might have been on the radar for a head coaching job somewhere else. However it is considered a one year gig as I read it.

I have no idea what she will be like for a coach but bottom line I got to believe that AD has to have enough confidence in her to run the program for the coming year. Chaves must have enough knowledge to believe she can do the job and if she does could become the next permanent head coach of UND. So far is telling fact is team has not lost a player request to enter the portal. My gut feeling is she might be excellent coach and if she is responsible for last years recruiting class she has ability to recruit talent. Now the recent recruits look to be talent to fill weaknesses on this team this past year. The interviews she has given I like to hear that she wants emphasize defense in her coaching and from playing days she was known for her offense so if she can manage to get better balance on this UND should improve immediately. Also if attitude of team just improves it means we are way to improving this team for the coming year. This past year we started the season with a lot of positive attitude and we were winning games by end of year we were looking at team that was not like it was having fun out there  and some where in between team looked lost and  had lost confidence in themselves and were looking for direction and none was being provided by head coach. Bernhard should know what needs to be corrected and improved after watching this team for last few years. I wish her best and will be fan watching and cheering on UND.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So are we to believe that a year from now UND opens the job search, or does a finish similar to this year make the job hers?

If she can improve the team, I expect the job to be hers.

Get the team to the top half of the Summit next year.  Definitely can be done with this group. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If she can improve the team, I expect the job to be hers.

Get the team to the top half of the Summit next year.  Definitely can be done with this group. 

Need more length and strength.  That much is obvious.  And any little bit of desire to actually play defense.  

Und is not that short of team as you are stating we have 5 girls over 6 feet tall and another three girls are 5-10 or better. I agree we need work on physical strength because at times this lack of strength effected our rebounding and defense for this team. The reason you talk about being longer and leaner is because with Brewster he could end up with four guards playing at times and taller players on the bench. Some this was style of defense he wanted to play led to a lot of fouling because we had a lot of reaching and slapping at the ball instead of putting body between the player and basket. Second we never ran offense to put a lot of larger and leaner players in positions where they could score and succeed we were just running up and down floor putting up rushed shot than playing as team getting good looks at the basket. It will be interesting see what changes she makes this coming year for the team I sure hope she makes shift to defense that leads to offense. Also UND needs to get established point guard and I think we have couple candidates on the team that could fill that role but all of them were freshman this year it will be interesting see if they can step up and fill that roll. If this team plays better defense, cuts down on turnovers and cuts it foul rate we could see dramatic improvement in this team.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

She averaged just under 16 points as a junior along with 5.7 rebounds (nearly as many offensive rebounds as defensive).  Had a FG average of 51% (didn't shoot the 3 much) and 76% from the line.  

I am going to include this under the '21 recruiting thread.    

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

I have noticed A lot of new offers coming from the new coaching staff.  They may be very good offers.  I am just questioning that they have this many offers without a full time coach hired.  Isn't coach just a interim coach? 

She’s the interim for this season.  I’d think if she does well, they’ll name her the head coach at the end of the season.

56 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I have noticed A lot of new offers coming from the new coaching staff.  They may be very good offers.  I am just questioning that they have this many offers without a full time coach hired.  Isn't coach just a interim coach? 

Yes, but she can definitely be the coach if she does well.   I also don't think she is looking to go anywhere if she doesn't get the job so if they want to go because of her, they will more than likely stay. 

3 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Recruiting is a very important part of a college coach’s job (permanent or interim).  She is simply doing all she can to prove she deserves the position permanently. If UND has a good season but she hasn’t made inroads (developed contacts, gotten commitments, made offers to talented underclass ladies, etc.), she wouldn’t deserve the job!

I have been very impressed with her recruiting.  Looks like she has asst. Coaches with contacts in areas we have not recruited.  Deep into lower classes for future recruits.  If she can coach fundamentals and adjust to game conditions she will do just fine.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I have been very impressed with her recruiting.  Looks like she has asst. Coaches with contacts in areas we have not recruited.  Deep into lower classes for future recruits.  If she can coach fundamentals and adjust to game conditions she will do just fine.

Seriously, why is she interim?  Through 2022?  I'm really asking, not trying to be a smart ass.  

That just seems strange. I think you understand the situation pretty well.