SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

5 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

UND Law beat me to it, we have seen 200,000 plus excess deaths already

What would you have done to prevent that many deaths? Send in the military to make sure nobody left their houses? We live in a free country with certain rights the government can’t take away. Forced quarantines for the entire population may work in Europe but good luck trying that here. Also when this all started we never heard a peep from the democrats in March and April about what the president should be doing differently that would have actually saved lives. Joe Biden still hasn’t outlined how he could have saved thousands of lives. What suggestion from fauci has the president ignored that could have saved thousands? Don’t start on masks because even the mandatory mask states are having a ton of cases

• Upvote 1

Quiz time.

"I am a North Dakota resident. I see that COVID is going off the charts in North Dakota. I am going to ______ North Dakota."

(a) leave

(b) not leave

Now put up, or shut up.

A great many of us know all the stats and all the options and like our chances right here. And we don't exactly care to hear about how terrible you think things are.

Trump is  refusing to promise a peaceful transfer of power if he loses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/time-for-democrats-to-call-trump-s-bluff/ar-BB19oEaI?ocid=msedgdhp

What makes Trump’s most recent statements so fretful is that as president and leader of his party, he possesses powers he didn’t have in 2016 to dispute the tally. As Barton Gellman reports in a new and frightful Atlantic feature, plans are afoot for Trump to set aside the voting results in six swing states controlled by Republicans, and have their legislatures cast their states’ Electoral College ballots for Trump. “If [Trump] throws the decision to Congress, which he can do almost at will, the law is a labyrinth full of dead ends when it comes to how that’s resolved. Experts tell me that the Electoral Count Act is so garbled and full of logic bombs that it can easily lead to deadlock,” said Gellman in an in-house interview.

So nobody should discount Trump’s avowal, especially now that he actually serves as president and seems bent on delegitimizing the election. But you don’t have to be a Trump fan to concede his right to challenge ballot results, especially in a tight state contest. Al Gore’s campaign did that in 2000, protesting “illegal votes” and “legal votes that were improperly rejected” in Florida in a dispute that went to the Supreme Court for resolution, without permanently soiling the fabric of democracy. We should mention, of course, that Gore ultimately conceded defeat after the Supreme Court decision and made no move to enlist a pitchfork brigade in overturning the Supremes.

But will Trump follow through on his disturbing threats? Flipping through the news clips of his presidency, one can’t help but notice his penchant for issuing of ground-scorching threats that end in flounder and retreat. He not only loves to bluff, but he loves to bluff big. He made nuclear war noises against North Korea and then cuddled with Kim Jong-un in a pair of summits. He vowed to jail Hillary Clinton but folded. He laid the rhetorical groundwork for invading Venezuela but then backed down. He threatened to close the border with Mexico, demanded that General Motors reopen its Lordstown plant, promised to end birthright citizenship, said he would strip California of federal funds, pledged to adjourn Congress, and bragged of holding “absolute“ power over the states that he would use to reopen them. He even thought he could bluff the pandemic into submission by claiming that it would disappear soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Trump is  refusing to promise a peaceful transfer of power if he loses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/time-for-democrats-to-call-trump-s-bluff/ar-BB19oEaI?ocid=msedgdhp

What makes Trump’s most recent statements so fretful is that as president and leader of his party, he possesses powers he didn’t have in 2016 to dispute the tally. As Barton Gellman reports in a new and frightful Atlantic feature, plans are afoot for Trump to set aside the voting results in six swing states controlled by Republicans, and have their legislatures cast their states’ Electoral College ballots for Trump. “If [Trump] throws the decision to Congress, which he can do almost at will, the law is a labyrinth full of dead ends when it comes to how that’s resolved. Experts tell me that the Electoral Count Act is so garbled and full of logic bombs that it can easily lead to deadlock,” said Gellman in an in-house interview.

So nobody should discount Trump’s avowal, especially now that he actually serves as president and seems bent on delegitimizing the election. But you don’t have to be a Trump fan to concede his right to challenge ballot results, especially in a tight state contest. Al Gore’s campaign did that in 2000, protesting “illegal votes” and “legal votes that were improperly rejected” in Florida in a dispute that went to the Supreme Court for resolution, without permanently soiling the fabric of democracy. We should mention, of course, that Gore ultimately conceded defeat after the Supreme Court decision and made no move to enlist a pitchfork brigade in overturning the Supremes.

But will Trump follow through on his disturbing threats? Flipping through the news clips of his presidency, one can’t help but notice his penchant for issuing of ground-scorching threats that end in flounder and retreat. He not only loves to bluff, but he loves to bluff big. He made nuclear war noises against North Korea and then cuddled with Kim Jong-un in a pair of summits. He vowed to jail Hillary Clinton but folded. He laid the rhetorical groundwork for invading Venezuela but then backed down. He threatened to close the border with Mexico, demanded that General Motors reopen its Lordstown plant, promised to end birthright citizenship, said he would strip California of federal funds, pledged to adjourn Congress, and bragged of holding “absolute“ power over the states that he would use to reopen them. He even thought he could bluff the pandemic into submission by claiming that it would disappear soon.

I can see him going scorched earth after Novembver 3rd to try to avoid prosecution for monetary crimes.  But, he might resign, let Pence pardon him and take his chances with charges from the NY Attorney General.  

Get the popcorn. Here comes the cult.  

• Upvote 1

CNN

Donald Trump's election threat is actually worse than it at far appears

Add it all up and we have a President who is now on record saying: a) he won't commit to a peaceful transition of power unless b) all mail-in ballots are eliminated because c) that would mean he would win again and d) has repeatedly raised the possibility of staying on beyond even the eight-year term limit on the presidency.

Here's the other thing: Trump knows that we can't "get rid of the ballots" (again, we are assuming he meant mail-in ballots). First of all, lots of mail-in ballots have already been cast -- early voting is underway in several states -- and they can't be, uh, un-cast. Second, there are lots and lots of people -- more Democrats than Republicans, if polling is to be believed -- who plan to vote by mail in order to avoid waiting in lines inside polling places amid the still-raging coronavirus pandemic.

So, what Trump is doing is creating the perfect excuse to never concede: He is saying that the vote will be fair and he will agree to a peaceful transition of power if there are no mail-in votes. Which he knows literally cannot happen. And so, if he loses, he already has his fallback plan in place: The acceptance of mail-in ballots means the entire election was a hoax and a fraud. And why should he admit he lost an election that was rigged against him?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/donald-trumps-election-threat-is-actually-worse-than-it-at-far-appears/ar-BB19nF6e?ocid=msedgdhp

• Upvote 2

Just visited with a buddy from ATL metro. His son is in 5th grade. Son has been in school for 7 weeks face to face. 3000+ kids in the school. Not one postive among students, teachers or staff. Masks not mandated but recommended. 

31 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

CNN

Add it all up and we have a President who is now on record saying: a) he won't commit to a peaceful transition of power unless b) all mail-in ballots are eliminated because c) that would mean he would win again and d) has repeatedly raised the possibility of staying on beyond even the eight-year term limit on the presidency.

Here's the other thing: Trump knows that we can't "get rid of the ballots" (again, we are assuming he meant mail-in ballots). First of all, lots of mail-in ballots have already been cast -- early voting is underway in several states -- and they can't be, uh, un-cast. Second, there are lots and lots of people -- more Democrats than Republicans, if polling is to be believed -- who plan to vote by mail in order to avoid waiting in lines inside polling places amid the still-raging coronavirus pandemic.

So, what Trump is doing is creating the perfect excuse to never concede: He is saying that the vote will be fair and he will agree to a peaceful transition of power if there are no mail-in votes. Which he knows literally cannot happen. And so, if he loses, he already has his fallback plan in place: The acceptance of mail-in ballots means the entire election was a hoax and a fraud. And why should he admit he lost an election that was rigged against him?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/donald-trumps-election-threat-is-actually-worse-than-it-at-far-appears/ar-BB19nF6e?ocid=msedgdhp

If Trump loses I expect him and his administration to make the transfer of power at least as smooth and ethical as the outgoing Obama administration.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Today T said many Seniors on Medicare will soon receive $200 card in the mail for prescription drugs.
Sound political with voting already going on?

Business Insider

"Nobody's seen this before. These cards are incredible," Trump said 

Like bailing out convicts so they can vote?

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Also when this all started we never heard a peep from the democrats in March and April about what the president should be doing differently that would have actually saved lives.

Actually if you want to remember, they actively downplayed it and held news ... pr events in places like China town trying to make the President's travel restrictions look bad.

Zero plan just whatever is opposite of President Trump.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

CNN

This should come as no surprise.  It's been Trump’s mode of operation his entire life.   He's a fighter.  He never accepts defeat and uses any and all unscrupulous methods to fight back (usually it entailed beating people down with daddy's money).  And when he is defeated, he still claims victory.   It served him well in the shady and unethical business world, especially on the public relations front...which is his specialty.       

A tiger doesn't change his stripes.   That said, ****ing around with citizens' right to vote is an entirely different ballgame.     We'll see what happens.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mikejm said:

You really have no idea how the electoral college works, do you?

A candidate can be elected POTUS by winning in a certain 12 states. Study civics, at least to the level required for new citizens and then come back.

Taking about amending the constitution.  Mike 100% popular vote in the big state don't amend the constitution

7 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

This should come as no surprise.  It's been Trump’s mode of operation his entire life.   He's a fighter.  He never accepts defeat and uses any and all unscrupulous methods to fight back (usually it entailed beating people down with daddy's money).  And when he is defeated, he still claims victory.   It served him well in the shady and unethical business world, especially on the public relations front...which is his specialty.       

A tiger doesn't change his stripes.   That said, ****ing around with citizens' right to vote is an entirely different ballgame.     We'll see what happens.  

So how is he limiting people’s right to vote?   I don’t think he is the biggest problem and maybe asking some of the right questions  

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-attorney-battleground-pennsylvania-investigating-023800972.html

8 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Quiz time.

"I am a North Dakota resident. I see that COVID is going off the charts in North Dakota. I am going to ______ North Dakota."

(a) leave

(b) not leave

Now put up, or shut up.

A great many of us know all the stats and all the options and like our chances right here. And we don't exactly care to hear about how terrible you think things are.

Interesting take. Ever wonder if this small think attitude is why most young people do leave this state? 

I hear a ton of shaming in this thread against those afraid to leave their home, needing to get groceries delivered, building a bunker, sheeple wearing masks, etc. Go out into the real world in grand forks and haven’t heard any of that garbage once, minus KNOX. 

Not everyone is so fortunate. Some are immunocompromised and/or have at risk family at home. If shaming those people anonymously on a siouxsports message board makes you feel better so be it, but to express that the at risk want you stuck at home like themselves, let me tell you, I don’t think you would be able to live a day in their shoes.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Interesting take. Ever wonder if this small think attitude is why most young people do leave this state? 

I hear a ton of shaming in this thread against those afraid to leave their home, needing to get groceries delivered, building a bunker, sheeple wearing masks, etc. Go out into the real world in grand forks and haven’t heard any of that garbage once, minus KNOX. 

Not everyone is so fortunate. Some are immunocompromised and/or have at risk family at home. If shaming those people anonymously on a siouxsports message board makes you feel better so be it, but to express that the at risk want you stuck at home like themselves, let me tell you, I don’t think you would be able to live a day in their shoes.

And how is 2020 any different for these people than 2019, or 2018, or 2017?

Mass hysteria about one virus strain hardly exonerates all the ones that came before.  Where were the masks during the last 100 flu seasons?

I’ll turn this right back at you...does harping and moaning and complaining about statistics perceived as grim by uninformed lay people serve any purpose? If I were compromised, or afraid, or vulnerable, I hope that I would accept my fate with a shred of dignity. And if I saw a single person curtailing their own activities, or freedom of movement, or sacrificing the joy of their children on my account, I would scream from my rooftop and beg them to stop.

15 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

And how is 2020 any different for these people than 2019, or 2018, or 2017?

Mass hysteria about one virus strain hardly exonerates all the ones that came before.  Where were the masks during the last 100 flu seasons?

I’ll turn this right back at you...does harping and moaning and complaining about statistics perceived as grim by uninformed lay people serve any purpose? If I were compromised, or afraid, or vulnerable, I hope that I would accept my fate with a shred of dignity. And if I saw a single person curtailing their own activities, or freedom of movement, or sacrificing the joy of their children on my account, I would scream from my rooftop and beg them to stop.

I’m sorry that you can’t see the difference, you have a political view on covid and I cannot change that.

I can guarantee you that there are plenty of parents of immunocompromised children that are sacrificing their joy due to your wide open stance on the subject.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Once again, your logic is ridiculous.  "Because I can't/don't feel safe going out, I don't think you should go out either".  Listen to yourself.  

And if you want to hear the "real world" in Grand Forks, maybe you should go out and find out yourself instead of guessing how the 5 callers on KNOX figure into the rest of Grand Forks.  The truth is that people are having weddings, kids are playing sports, people are going back to work (now that the $600 weekly kicker is gone).  

Covid may be the most recent threat to those that have health issues but it isn't the first and won't be the last.  Letting your fear of missing out syndrome take over and expecting everyone else to hunker down too is downright selfish.  

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I’m sorry that you can’t see the difference, you have a political view on covid and I cannot change that.

I can guarantee you that there are plenty of parents of immunocompromised children that are sacrificing their joy due to your wide open stance on the subject.

You are the one making it political.  If Covid-19 never was a thing, are you saying those same parents with immunocompromised kids have never had to take extra precautions versus the rest of the population in the past?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

And I know this is tough for your and your only think of yourself attitude......but don't assume that you are the only person that has immuno compromised people in your life......or that anyone else that has immuno compromised people in their lives share your FOMO (fear of missing out) attitude.  Statistically this thing flat out just doesn't affect kids........know several people with asthma that have got it and been fine.  Maybe think (mind blowing for you I'm sure) that those people have made the determination that living in a bunker for the next indeterminable amount of time until a vaccine that will only be 50% effective at best appears......but somehow that will drastically change the landscape and no one will ever get sick again......is absolutely ludicrous logic. 

• Like 1