SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

As for some governors stating they can't reopen until there's a vaccine...... that's not the bill of goods people were sold when this started.  The curve was flattened and hospitals are not overwhelmed in most of the country at this time.  Yes, hot spots will occur and targeted lockdowns will be necessary.  I'm sure the media and opposing political party will cast all sorts of blame when it does happen, but just because a hot spot crops up doesn't mean it was a mistake to reopen.

It's concerning to see the goal posts continually moved when people's freedom, livelihoods, and dreams are being destroyed.  "This is for your own good/safety" is a phrase employed by tyrants throughout history.

This is without question the most disturbing part of this whole "crisis".

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Similar to a lot (not all) of the people who are dying from/with Covid, the large corporations entering bankruptcy so far were in pretty rough shape without the pandemic.  

As for some governors stating they can't reopen until there's a vaccine...... that's not the bill of goods people were sold when this started.  The curve was flattened and hospitals are not overwhelmed in most of the country at this time.  Yes, hot spots will occur and targeted lockdowns will be necessary.  I'm sure the media and opposing political party will cast all sorts of blame when it does happen, but just because a hot spot crops up doesn't mean it was a mistake to reopen.

It's concerning to see the goal posts continually moved when people's freedom, livelihoods, and dreams are being destroyed.  "This is for your own good/safety" is a phrase employed by tyrants throughout history.

At this point with Connecticuit loosening restrictions today, all states are open in various fashions right now, so what governors are stating they can't reopen until there is a vaccine? I guess I haven't seen that narrative or maybe have just misunderstood the way it is being presented. Or are the stating that things won't be back as they were (or whatever that might be) until there is a vaccine?

Edit - Turned on the news this morning and saw what is being discussed in regards to this.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Pier 1 Imports announced it will liquidate and permeantly close all 540 stores.

In other news Gov. Murphy of CT sounding like he's ok keeping this state locked up and won't fully reopen until there is a vaccine.

#saveonelife

Sounds like a good time for North Dakota to start pouching some businesses.  

Once again, these Governors are only doing what their buddies are doing cause they have to.  CT was pressured into it by their neighboring states, not cause they wanted to.  

Alot like how we got into this mess.  

Per CNBC this morning, cancer diagnosis's have decreased 30% in the past months.  At least fewer people are getting cancer  for some reason because of all this...  If we shut down the country for another couple months maybe we can eliminate cancer.

As for retail, the prevailing thought is that many folks will continue to use amazon, walmart.com, target.com, etc for online shopping.  All (3) have seen very large increases in business.  Presumably many folks will continue to utilize these services now that they are getting accustomed to it.  That is bad news for smaller retail and brick/mortar retail chains without a solid online business.

20 hours ago, petey23 said:

A state budget is a state budget.

I was referring to someone's post about a state receiving more federal dollars than it paid into the federal budget; like North Dakota.
Neither comment had anything to do with state budgets.

46 minutes ago, mikejm said:

I was referring to someone's post about a state receiving more federal dollars than it paid into the federal budget; like North Dakota.

My original comment was aimed at the fact that ND has benefitted substantially from an excess of federal aid received over and above the contributions of it's citizens.   It's arguable that both Grand Forks and Fargo would not exist in their current form without substantial federal disaster aid to recover from/ mitigate substantial damage from Red River flooding.   Both of those bills were footed by taxpayers in New York and California and other states so I don't see why North Dakotans should be opposed to extending the same aid to other states when they need it (i.e. disaster recovery for NY for the impact of the coronavirus).  Any opposition reeks of hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

My original comment was aimed at the fact that ND has benefitted substantially from an excess of federal aid received over and above the contributions of it's citizens.   It's arguable that both Grand Forks and Fargo would not exist in their current form without substantial federal disaster aid to recover from/ mitigate substantial damage from Red River flooding.   Both of those bills were footed by taxpayers in New York and California and other states so I don't see why North Dakotans should be opposed to extending the same aid to other states when they need it (i.e. disaster recovery for NY for the impact of the coronavirus).  Any opposition reeks of hypocrisy.

Providing aid to states for Coronavirus damage is a tricky subject.

How much aid is truly needed directly due to the virus vs state mismanagement of the virus and long term state failures in many other areas  ?   Every state manages things differently (welfare, aid to illegal immigrants, public pensions etc).   Some states have limited or no state income taxes while others have extremely high taxes.   I’m not sure the federal government should bail out states.   I might be ok with providing loans to them.

If you had a neighbor that made six figures throughout a long career,  had new cars, boat, all the toys they wanted and then had nothing saved at retirement time, would you be inclined to help them out ?   I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t.

Just as people need to have personal responsibility for themselves I think each state needs to take responsibility.  The states could have emergency funds set aside to handle emergencies.  If they need to go beyond that the the federal government can become the lender of last resort, not a source of free money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm. Interesting

As of May 18, the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has reported 18,433 cases of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and 1,001 deaths in Washington state due to the virus.

However, Freedom Foundation research indicates DOH’s reported COVID-19 death total is inflated by as much as 13 percent due to state’s practice of counting every person who tests positive for COVID-19 and subsequently dies, even if the death was not caused by COVID-19.

47 minutes ago, Goon said:

Why should we trust the Freedom Foundation's analysis more than non-biased state coroners and Departments of Health?   As has been stated repeatedly on this website, the counting of Covid deaths is consistent with the counting of deaths from every other infectious disease.   There is no conspiracy here.  

• Downvote 1

so they want to cap the attendance at the friday night races in grand forks to 500.  the dang place holds over 6000 during the world of outlaws.  you would think that 50% capacity would be more than acceptable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, keikla said:

This actually makes me sick to my stomach.  There isn't a 30% decrease in cancer cases; there is a 30% decrease in cancer diagnosis.  All that means is the number of people living with undiagnosed cancer went up.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he gets that and was being sarcastic.  Everyone’s so busy with the wolves that they fail to notice the bear.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 1972 said:

so they want to cap the attendance at the friday night races in grand forks to 500.  the dang place holds over 6000 during the world of outlaws.  you would think that 50% capacity would be more than acceptable.

what "scientist" came up with that number??? 500..? wtf...outside in windy north dakota...500?

• Upvote 1

The 200 bed emergency hospital in the Fargodome is coming down...…….because it isn't needed.  There's a shocker.....it wasn't ever going to be needed.  Total fearmongering from the unset of that initial decision.

• Upvote 2

A prototype vaccine has protected monkeys from the virus, researches have found.

A prototype vaccine has protected monkeys from the virus, researchers reported on Wednesday, a finding that offers new hope for effective human vaccines.

Scientists are already testing virus vaccines in people, but the initial trials are designed to determine safety, not how well a vaccine works. The research published Wednesday offers insight into what a vaccine must do to be effective and how to measure that.

“To me, this is convincing that a vaccine is possible,” said Dr. Nelson Michael, the director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

Scientists are engaged in a worldwide scramble to create a vaccine against the new virus. Over a hundred research projects have been launched; early safety trials in humans have been started or completed in nine of them.

Next to come are larger trials to determine whether these candidate vaccines are not just safe, but effective. But those results won’t arrive for months.

In the meantime, Dr. Dan Barouch, a virologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, and his colleagues have started a series of experiments on monkeys to get a broader look at how coronaviruses affect monkeys — and whether vaccines could fight them. Their report was published in Science.

In one series of experiments, each monkey received pieces of DNA, which their cells turned into viral proteins designed to train the immune system to recognize the virus.

Most coronavirus vaccines are intended to coax the immune system to make antibodies that latch onto the spike protein and destroy the virus. Dr. Barouch and his colleagues tried out six variations.

Some of the vaccines provided only partial protection, but other vaccines worked better. The one that worked best trained the immune system to recognize and attack the entire spike protein of the coronavirus. In eight monkeys, the researchers couldn’t detect the virus at all.

“I think that overall this will be seen as very good news for the vaccine effort,” said Dr. Barouch. “This increases our optimism that a vaccine for Covid-19 will be possible.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

3 hours ago, mikejm said:

Sorry. My post was directed at the original post. I agree with you in that regardless of where the federal tax theft from your state gets distributed a state is still responsible for their budget. Some of these states have been mismanaged so poorly for 50-60 years and are always on the cusp of bankruptcy and now in addition to Covid relief they want a do-over at the expense of more fiscally responsible states.

7 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

DNA vaccines make me nervous

I don't know if you would ever find me in that line.  My hope was, this was the body fighting off the virus after a second infection, but I'm not a monkey either.  

Question for anyone in/connected to the medical and/or LTC field.  ND has had 31 people over 80 die of/with Covid and just 18 people over 80 hospitalized with Covid.  Why would those who are so sick with Covid that they're dying not be hospitalized?  Is it just killing them before they can get to the hospital?

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Question for anyone in/connected to the medical and/or LTC field.  ND has had 31 people over 80 die of/with Covid and just 18 people over 80 hospitalized with Covid.  Why would those who are so sick with Covid that they're dying not be hospitalized?  Is it just killing them before they can get to the hospital?

Or in a SNF

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And how many were already on hospice, or well on their way?  Or declined a step-up in care altogether?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm not in medicine, but I have relatives in nursing homes and memory care.  Most die there because they have elected to not have unnecessary procedures done on a "health care directive."  They are made comfortable normally using hospice.  

• Upvote 1