SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Zypher

I am not a UMD fan so I watch zero of their games unless they are playing UND. Don’t know any thing about Peronivich, just that his name is hard to spell.  I would still rather have Poolman, JBD, as my Dman   Please, tell me what is so good about Peronivich and I am being serious.  Does he score a lot of goals or does he setup a lot? Is this the  right choice for Hobey? Of course I have green colored glasses but it seems like Kawaguchi was a great player on a really good team. 

4 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I am not a UMD fan so I watch zero of their games unless they are playing UND. Don’t know any thing about Peronivich, just that his name is hard to spell.  I would still rather have Poolman, JBD, as my Dman   Please, tell me what is so good about Peronivich and I am being serious.  Does he score a lot of goals or does he setup a lot? Is this the  right choice for Hobey? Of course I have green colored glasses but it seems like Kawaguchi was a great player on a really good team. 

Both players were the engine of their team.  Without Kawaguchi UND wasn’t quite the same, and the same could be said of Perunovich.  Hard to decide between the two, so I think Perunovich had the upper hand based on the last few years.  

Kawaguchi was robbed.  Parise was robbed.  Lessard’s UMD team was 0-5 vs. Parise’s UND that season.  Not that head-to-head record should typically be considered, but 0-5 is too lopsided to ignore.  I believe UND also swept at Duluth the last series of the regular season to sew up the league title (and deny UMD).  Which would you rather have on your team?  No contest between Parise and Lessard - even uberhomer Ciskie would have rather had Parise that season.  Harder decision between Kawaguchi and Perunovich, but Kawaguchi’s timely scoring and character, to include his lack of diving (unlike others), make it a bit easier.

• Upvote 2

Individual awards don't mean much. Sucks for JK, seems like a great young man. In addition, UND only had 1 all-American? Ok...

Green lens on or not, Matthew Kiersted was a stud, I didn't see a better D-man in the NCHC than him, imo. He also sat out for the CC series I believe (was banged up and/or sick - he would have had at least 3-4pts in that series).

Both MK and Scott P. created a heavy load of offense and opportunities for their respected squads. If Scott P. was 1A, MK was 1B and wasn't too far behind.

JK and MK are going to have monster years next year and should have a little chip on their shoulders again for motivation to propel and push themselves and the team to a Natty!

The wonderful thing about Kawaguchi's near miss on the Hobey is the contrast to his first two years and the improvement he's made.  He's always had talent, but things just didn't click for him until this year or the latter part of last.   The decisions he makes on the ice have improved dramatically.    Next year should be a treat. 

51 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, we all know how gracious superfans Ciskie and DrunkHockeyGuy would have been had Kawaguchi won it...

I'd be embarrassed for our brand if Ciskie was our play by play guy.

Put this on twitter Bruce, I'll get the violin. 

As for DHG....drunk stumbling into kids at hockey games is perfectly normal for an "adult". 

• Upvote 2

I just saw a tweet by someone affiliated with Duluth. The tweet was bitching about UND fans bitching about why Perunovich doesnt deserve the Hobey. This person can’t even enjoy their big accomplishment without whining about what some UND fans may or may not be saying. Good grief. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, burd said:

The wonderful thing about Kawaguchi's near miss on the Hobey is the contrast to his first two years and the improvement he's made.  He's always had talent, but things just didn't click for him until this year or the latter part of last.   The decisions he makes on the ice have improved dramatically.    Next year should be a treat. 

The silver lining to all this is, Jordan seems like the kind of player that will use this as fuel to the fire next season and have an even bigger year.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

The silver lining to all this is, Jordan seems like the kind of player that will use this as fuel to the fire next season and have an even bigger year.

His last year in the BCHL he was a machine, unstoppable.  I think barring any injury he will be sensational.  

• Upvote 1

Honestly if I’m a voter who hasn’t watched the teams much, I probably vote Perunovich. Plenty of people had good things to say about him and likely a deserving candidate. While we know Kawaguchi was incredibly deserving, he admittedly had a relatively quiet monster year that wasn’t as flashy for casual observers. His 15 goals weren’t at the normal bar for a forward to win. His GPA wasn’t sterling and his community service listed by UND was pretty generic. The stats didn’t represent how good he really was. Perunovich was a 3x championship participant and his offensive numbers and flashiness were on display every night. And no one voting cares he was soft in his own end. Add to that the ballots I’ve seen from UND hating media folks had Kawaguchi at five or later which is a killer when it comes to aggregate vote count, just shows how much of a joke it is to have essentially glorified and petty fans voting the best player vs qualified and objective experts. 

The salty side of me is glad that while completely political, at least we aren’t seeing smear campaigns like Frattin experienced. Imagine a montage of Perunovich’s DQ’s, shoulda been suspension, and repeated march to the penalty box for the voters to consider (you know, what UND fans saw all year). Throw in UMD’s diving greatest hits and maybe the playing field is leveled against the persistent dislike by many of all things UND. 

That said, saltiness and hyperbole aside, congrats to Perunovich on a great (deserving) year that will likely transition into an impact in the NHL, congrats on a NCHC winner, and good luck to Jordan next year!

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I just saw a tweet by someone affiliated with Duluth. The tweet was bitching about UND fans bitching about why Perunovich doesnt deserve the Hobey. This person can’t even enjoy their big accomplishment without whining about what some UND fans may or may not be saying. Good grief. 

That’s just the norm with Duluth fans and their Twitter accounts though, so nothing new there. :)