SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Zypher

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I was at an MSU game against UMass the year that Miller won the Hobey.  I believe the score was 10-0 late in the 3rd and Miller gave up a goal.  He was immediately pulled so as to keep his precious GAA down.  

Or they left him in to give him the chance for a shutout, and then when that was over they gave his backup a chance to play.

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Or they left him in to give him the chance for a shutout, and then when that was over they gave his backup a chance to play.

My memory is fuzzy, but I believe there was about one minute left in the game when he gave up his first goal.  

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Perunovich did have a great season, but I have a hard time believing the the award for best season was not swayed by the performance of previous seasons. 

Agreed. As has happened many times before, voters were swayed by the career instead of a season. 
Gooch is the only Hattrick member coming back for another shot at it.  

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

My memory is fuzzy, but I believe there was about one minute left in the game when he gave up his first goal.

Which makes that all the more likely.  A guy with that many shutouts and 59 minutes without giving up a goal and they don’t think he can make it less than another minute?

Just now, tnt said:

Which makes that all the more likely.  A guy with that many shutouts and 59 minutes without giving up a goal and they don’t think he can make it less than another minute?

So they pulled him because of the risk of injury then, is that what we’re going with?  Or they pulled him with one minute left in the game to ensure that he wouldn’t give up another one?

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed. As has happened many times before, voters were swayed by the career instead of a season. 
Gooch is the only Hattrick member coming back for another shot at it.  

Too bad that wasn’t the case for Greg Johnson against a freshman, although it was hard to argue with Paul Kariya’s year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

So they pulled him because of the risk of injury then, is that what we’re going with?  Or they pulled him with one minute left in the game to ensure that he wouldn’t give up another one?

No,  I’m saying they let a backup play that doesn’t see much ice time. 

17 minutes ago, tnt said:

No,  I’m saying they let a backup play that doesn’t see much ice time. 

Then pull Miller with 6-7 minutes left.  Everyone in the rink knew why Miller was pulled and it had NOTHING to do with giving the backup goalie 60 seconds of mop-up duty.  

Hell, Robb Stauber pulled HIMSELF out of that 9-1 debacle on Friday night in Grand Forks in the 1988-1989 season.  

Three good candidates.  Can't argue too much with Perunovich.  A bit more salt on the open wound that is the 2019-2020 college hockey season.

Tremendous year by Gooch.  Hats off to him.  Now come back next season and go out a champion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I was at an MSU game against UMass the year that Miller won the Hobey.  I believe the score was 10-0 late in the 3rd and Miller gave up a goal.  He was immediately pulled so as to keep his precious GAA down.  

LAME!