SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Zypher

Top_Ten_Vote_2017_Cropped_cxovbu.jpgThe final round of Vote For Hobey, is now closed.
Hobey Baker Fans can expect the Press Release Top 3 “Hobey Hat Trick” on 04/02/2020.

Jordan Kawaguchi
University of North Dakota
26.6%

Morgan Barron
Cornell University
22.6%

John Leonard
University of Massachusetts
18.1%
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

I guess this means Swayman won the Richter.

I would think so, at this point I'd say its 80/20 Perunevich over Kawa but who knows.

Some of the new voters this year are SUPER anti-und. That and the senior vs junior probably swings it up to dahloot

3 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I would think so, at this point I'd say its 80/20 Perunevich over Kawa but who knows.

Some of the new voters this year are SUPER anti-und. That and the senior vs junior probably swings it up to dahloot

I believe they are both juniors.

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Both Kawaguchi and Perunovich were juniors this year.

All the chatter about Providence College and they don’t even make the cut.  And UMD about to get the “Years of Service” award in recognition of back-to-back national championships.  That’s not how this is supposed to work...

Generally interested why most think Perunovich will win. Not saying he won't or he isn't a better hockey player (I do think he has a bigger impact on each game), but based on the numbers / how things went this season, I'm not sure where Perunovich has Kawaguchi beat (outside of 4 more assists). Realizing he is a D-man, but he only had 6 goals. Comparable +/-, but Kawaguchi has him beat there as well. 

If this is based strictly on what happened in 2019 / 2020, Kawaguchi will win (which it should be). Will voters be swayed by though by the career Perunovich has had, which we can all agree is better than Kawaguchi. I guess we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

Generally interested why most think Perunovich will win. Not saying he won't or he isn't a better hockey player (I do think he has a bigger impact on each game), but based on the numbers / how things went this season, I'm not sure where Perunovich has Kawaguchi beat (outside of 4 more assists). Realizing he is a D-man, but he only had 6 goals. Comparable +/-, but Kawaguchi has him beat there as well. 

If this is based strictly on what happened in 2019 / 2020, Kawaguchi will win (which it should be). Will voters be swayed by though by the career Perunovich has had, which we can all agree is better than Kawaguchi. I guess we'll see. 

Because it won't be.... and he's not from UND.

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

Because he was the NCHC Player of the Year.

Difficult for the Committee members to vote a guy as the best player in the country when his own conference didn’t think he was the best player in the conference.

And I get there are other criteria, (Perunovich’s misconducts may be a knock) but I don’t think it’s enough. 

9 minutes ago, yababy8 said:

For the group of three finalists, who are the voters for the winner and when is their vote submitted ?

OR

Does the voting which determined the hat trick also choose the winner and it's just announced later?

The winner has already been decided. The hat trick just consists of the top 3 vote getters. 

33 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Because he was the NCHC Player of the Year.

Difficult for the Committee members to vote a guy as the best player in the country when his own conference didn’t think he was the best player in the conference.

And I get there are other criteria, (Perunovich’s misconducts may be a knock) but I don’t think it’s enough. 

Great point. Completely forgot about that.

12 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Why don’t we just wait until selection day. This seems like the Ryan Duncan season all over again. Let’s just wait and see. 

We're due for a 3rd.  In fact, a program as successful as North Dakota should have about 2-3 other Hobey Baker trophies sitting inside the cozy confines of REA.

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

We're due for a 3rd.  In fact, a program as successful as North Dakota should have about 2-3 other Hobey Baker trophies sitting inside the cozy confines of REA.

I want to say, "Exactly" for this one, too.

Not taking anything away from Ryan Miller's incredible season, but it pains me that Jeff Panzer's jersey is not hanging in the lobby of the Ralph.  What other player with 81 points in the 2000s didn't win a Hobey?  Panzer had more assists that year than the third hat trick member (Brian Gionta) had points.

• Upvote 2