SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Zypher

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Leave it to SCSU fans to bask in Gooch not winning the Hobey.

They won their national championship.  Bless their hearts they won one. 

I hope this makes up for their loss to...(checks notes)...American International College.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just found this interesting...

In their program's history, Minnesota Duluth has had only 10 Hobey Baker Finalists (read: Top 10 Finalist, not Hobey Hat Trick).  60% of their finalists have won the award.  Of the programs with at least 1 Hobey Baker Award winner, this is by far the highest percentage (next best: Massachusetts (33%, 1/3); Harvard (27%, 4/15); Minnesota (25%, 4/20); Bowling Green (25%), 2/8).  

North Dakota has had 25 Hobey Baker Finalists.  8% of their finalists have won the award.  Of the programs with at least 1 Hobey Baker Award winner, this is the second lowest percentage (Wisconsin at 7.7%, 1/13; next lowest: New Hampshire (9%, 1/12); Miami (9%, 1/12); Michigan (9.1%, 2/22).  

Presuming that a certain amount of luck is involved in winning this type of award, Minnesota Duluth is, by far, the luckiest program when it comes to the Hobey Baker Award, while North Dakota is one of the unluckiest programs.  Crazy stuff.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

They screwed up in the show. Perunovich just finished his junior year.  He won titles as a freshman and Sophomore. 

he was 2x participant and 2x Champion

If that was what mattered then John Casey should have won over Tom Kurvers in 1984.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, hky said:

What is it with Duluth?  Four players on the first and second All-American west teams.  Four??????

Shepard was voted on that due to his career. For him, he had a pretty underwhelming senior season and there were other West goalies more deserving of that 2nd team goalie spot. 

As for Cates and Koepke, they had good seasons, but both All-American? That makes no sense at all and I would bet money that neither sniff an All-American award next season. For forwards from the West, I’d take Wilkie (CC), Petterson (DU), Green (Miami), etc etc over either of them and that’s just players from the NCHC. 

34 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Shepard was voted on that due to his career. For him, he had a pretty underwhelming senior season and there were other West goalies more deserving of that 2nd team goalie spot. 

As for Cates and Koepke, they had good seasons, but both All-American? That makes no sense at all and I would bet money that neither sniff an All-American award next season. For forwards from the West, I’d take Wilkie (CC), Petterson (DU), Green (Miami), etc etc over either of them and that’s just players from the NCHC. 

I didn’t even think they should have been all conference let alone All American. They tied for 39th in the country in points. I’d place all three players you mentioned ahead of them. There were a couple Bemidji players that had more points than them also so I’d say if the 2 UMD players  played for any other team they’re not on that list. 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I didn’t even think they should have been all conference let alone All American. They tied for 39th in the country in points. I’d place all three players you mentioned ahead of them. There were a couple Bemidji players that had more points than them also so I’d say if the 2 UMD players  played for any other team they’re not on that list. 

Remember Duncan?

40 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Jon Casey won the natty in 1982, so just a point of clarity that he was a 1x championship game participant and 1x champion.  

Except that he didn’t actually play in the final against Bucky.  Gino started Darren Jensen.

23 hours ago, Brett0909 said:

Add to that the ballots I’ve seen from UND hating media folks had Kawaguchi at five or later which is a killer when it comes to aggregate vote count, just shows how much of a joke it is to have essentially glorified and petty fans voting the best player vs qualified and objective experts. 

Congrats to Perunovich. I do think he's the best player, I could argue he didn't have the best season, but really I don't have that big of a problem with the end results.

I did want to comment on this, because there is one "Senior" Writer at College Hockey News that if you told me was paid to be a mouthpiece for Perunovich to Hobey, I would believe it. He had Kawaguchi 4th, which if you follow his work isn't a surprise. He's just one vote, but it's tough when you have one of the two major college hockey sites as a media machine for Perunovich. 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Congrats to Perunovich. I do think he's the best player, I could argue he didn't have the best season, but really I don't have that big of a problem with the end results.

I did want to comment on this, because there is one "Senior" Writer at College Hockey News that if you told me was paid to be a mouthpiece for Perunovich to Hobey, I would believe it. He had Kawaguchi 4th, which if you follow his work isn't a surprise. He's just one vote, but it's tough when you have one of the two major college hockey sites as a media machine for Perunovich. 

I hope Scott can adapt to the NHL. He’s not a big guy and he takes a lot of chances.