SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Zypher

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Congrats to Perunovich. I do think he's the best player, I could argue he didn't have the best season, but really I don't have that big of a problem with the end results.

I did want to comment on this, because there is one "Senior" Writer at College Hockey News that if you told me was paid to be a mouthpiece for Perunovich to Hobey, I would believe it. He had Kawaguchi 4th, which if you follow his work isn't a surprise. He's just one vote, but it's tough when you have one of the two major college hockey sites as a media machine for Perunovich. 

If you're talking about Meloni, he is a Boston crackpot, and very bias against UND. He also put Leonard ahead of Kawaguchi because he said goals are important .... but vote the guy with like 6 goals number 1.

Guch had more points than both, and more goals than Perunovich. Not going to argue with him picking Perunovich to be his number 1, but he trips over his own logic trying to support his ballot. I understand there are intangibles that don't show up on a stat line, but there is also regional bias that isn't explained by publishing your ballot.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

If you're talking about Meloni, he is a Boston crackpot, and very bias against UND. He also put Leonard ahead of Kawaguchi because he said goals are important .... but vote the guy with like 6 goals number 1.

Guch had more points than both, and more goals than Perunovich. Not going to argue with him picking Perunovich to be his number 1, but he trips over his own logic trying to support his ballot. I understand there are intangibles that don't show up on a stat line, but there is also regional bias that isn't explained by publishing your ballot.

I have no problem with Perunovich winning the Hobey, but I agree that this guy's justification for voting for Perunovich is lame. There is also some east coast bias in voting by Meloni having John Leonard of UMass 3rd on his ballot. Meloni is a UMass grad. 

What is worse is how Swayman made the Hobey Hat Trick over Dryden McKay of MSUM. McKay's numbers were better than Swayman's by a long shot, and better than Ryan Miller's when he won the Hobey. The argument that he plays in a weaker conference just doesn't cut it for me because MSUM beat and tied UND and swept UMD in Duluth. Plus, the WCHA is no weaker than the ECAC. 

20 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I have no problem with Perunovich winning the Hobey, but I agree that this guy's justification for voting for Perunovich is lame. There is also some east coast bias in voting by Meloni having John Leonard of UMass 3rd on his ballot. Meloni is a UMass grad. 

What is worse is how Swayman made the Hobey Hat Trick over Dryden McKay of MSUM. McKay's numbers were better than Swayman's by a long shot, and better than Ryan Miller's when he won the Hobey. The argument that he plays in a weaker conference just doesn't cut it for me because MSUM beat and tied UND and swept UMD in Duluth. Plus, the WCHA is no weaker than the ECAC. 

The other part that I question, is how does the voting shake out? Is it weighted based on where you place and individual. In other works, by putting Jordan excessively low on his ballot it, it lowers he average ballot placement across the board; thus increasing the likelihood of who he picked to win it.

For the record, I have no idea if this is who the voting system works, nor am I one for conspiracy theories. Just curious, since his ballot alone makes no sense. This was a two horse race, anyone who doesn't think so, shouldn't be voting. A strong case could have been made for either of the two, but that is about it.

Thsere are a couple of those national "media" that are in no way media. The one mentioned is basically a triggered mess when he has to cover anything good from UND. If thats how they have to go through life, gaining wins by screwing some kid so they can "stick it" to ancollege aports team they hate... well ufff thats sad.

Scott P is a good player, he'll grap a cup of coffee or two, but I see AHL and Europe in his future. Honestly this years field was a bit off from the top end talent perspective.

Congrats to all the finalists.

14 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Thsere are a couple of those national "media" that are in no way media. The one mentioned is basically a triggered mess when he has to cover anything good from UND. If thats how they have to go through life, gaining wins by screwing some kid so they can "stick it" to ancollege aports team they hate... well ufff thats sad.

Scott P is a good player, he'll grap a cup of coffee or two, but I see AHL and Europe in his future. Honestly this years field was a bit off from the top end talent perspective.

Congrats to all the finalists.

I think he will be a Torey Krug type player, and I think they are more viable in today's NHL.  I think he can make a nice career for himself like a Troy Stecher  or a Jared Spurgeon.  Yes, he will need to improve on the defensive side of things, but if he can make modest strides there, I think he can have more than a short stint at the top level. 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:59 PM, crb1 said:

I am not a UMD fan so I watch zero of their games unless they are playing UND. Don’t know any thing about Peronivich, just that his name is hard to spell.  I would still rather have Poolman, JBD, as my Dman   Please, tell me what is so good about Peronivich and I am being serious.  Does he score a lot of goals or does he setup a lot? Is this the  right choice for Hobey? Of course I have green colored glasses but it seems like Kawaguchi was a great player on a really good team. 

He's an elite skater/puck possessor.  By far and away the best player on UMD.  Did I think Guch had a chance...sure.  Was I shocked it was Scotty.....no.  Easily the best player in college hockey last year so it is only fitting he gets the award. Now some of his questionable actions/behaviors....I thought Guch could have sniped it away from him.

I'm ok with Perunovich winning.  He was a terrific player, although if I were picking a team I'd pick his teammate Samberg over him.

Guch had a great year, but it wasn't a dazzling statistical year to set him apart from the other players.  He was simply clutch.  But as for UND snubs in the Hobey voting, he'd still fall behind Greg Johnson, Jeff Panzer and Matt Frattin in my book.

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

I'm ok with Perunovich winning.  He was a terrific player, although if I were picking a team I'd pick his teammate Samberg over him.

Guch had a great year, but it wasn't a dazzling statistical year to set him apart from the other players.  He was simply clutch.  But as for UND snubs in the Hobey voting, he'd still fall behind Greg Johnson, Jeff Panzer and Matt Frattin in my book.

D have partners for a reason...For every dazzling D man, there must be a rock steady, smart partner...even in the NHL...Paul Martin was the Brent Burns whisperer during Brent's best campaigns...

Certain voters are so butt hurt in some situations that things happen like the near runaway rookie of the year not ending up on a ballot or two....:whistling:

Perunovich deserved the Hobey.  Guy had a stellar career.  Anxious to see him working the point on a power play in the NHL.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

He's an elite skater/puck possessor.  By far and away the best player on UMD.  Did I think Guch had a chance...sure.  Was I shocked it was Scotty.....no.  Easily the best player in college hockey last year so it is only fitting he gets the award. Now some of his questionable actions/behaviors....I thought Guch could have sniped it away from him.

Would have been more interesting if Guch would have produced more the last 6-8 games, I believe he was banged up a bit. That could have been an interesting overall story then imo. I had Guch winning at 40%.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Certain voters are so butt hurt in some situations that things happen like the near runaway rookie of the year not ending up on a ballot or two....:whistling:

Perunovich deserved the Hobey.  Guy had a stellar career.  Anxious to see him working the point on a power play in the NHL.

That's the problem; it isn't supposed to be a "career award". If it was, Greg Johnson (RIP) would have won it at least once.

• Upvote 1

Is there any criteria listed anywhere, seen several times about career vs current year and am wondering where it originates.  I would have thought the penalty minutes / ejections would have been enough to favor Guch over Peru.  I tried googling the "committee" and got an eye brow raising zilch.  

48 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is there any criteria listed anywhere, seen several times about career vs current year and am wondering where it originates.  I would have thought the penalty minutes / ejections would have been enough to favor Guch over Peru.  I tried googling the "committee" and got an eye brow raising zilch.  

One would think.....

Here is the criteria... The diving and embellishment alone should have weighed heavier in the criteria.

But those categories tool a back seat to the "media voters" categories of

- F*uck UND. 

- Career performance.

- and appearently... goals? 

Again Scott P is a really good player, but the asshattery of some of the committee members was childish.

CHARACTER MATTERS

Teamwork. Dedication. Integrity. Exceptional play. Humility. And, above all, character. These are the values that set the game of hockey, and those who play it, apart from any other. They are also the values that the Hobey Baker Award honors each year.

The most coveted award in collegiate hockey, the Hobey Baker Award is given to the top NCAA men’s ice hockey player in the nation. Winners are chosen not for raw skill or stats or character alone, though those are important. They are selected for everything they do.

Candidates must:
    •     Exhibit strength and character, both on and off the ice
    •     Contribute to the integrity of the team

•     Display outstanding skills in all phases of the game
    •     Show scholastic achievement and sportsmanship

Candidates must also comply with all NCAA rules, be full-time students in an accredited NCAA college or university, and complete 50% or more of the season.

The Hobey Baker Award was named for hockey legend and World War I veteran Hobey Baker. Universally recognized as the best amateur player in the United States, Baker was the ultimate gentleman sportsman, always playing the game with courage, honor, and humility.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watching semi vs Denver (thanks Blackheart) and Caggiula just scored I think number 23.  So Jimmy Vesey from Harvard won Hobey with 24 g and 22 a.  Decent but he put up way better numbers year before (58 pts???).  Caggiula was tiny bit behind in goals regular season. Beoser went for 27 - 33 as a freshman!  Makes you realize that the Hobey was a career award back in 2016.

• Upvote 2

I don't think I have ever seen the final voting results for the Hobey. 

Would be interesting to see. I wonder if they revote after the top 3 are chosen or if the overall vote just stands? I am guessing they just vote once for their top 10. Maybe a question for Schlossman. I know they break down the Heisman vote but it seems the Hobey voters get a pass?

I would guess the votes are weighted 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.