SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ WMU Saturday Gameday

UNDBIZ

What a game, what a first half! This team has a better record than the 15/16 team going into the break. In 15/16 we played Alabama Huntsville right after the break, and after that we were sixth in the PWR.  We're sitting at second right now, and first in the conference. Lets keep this up for the rest of the year and bring  home #9!

But back then it stopped with "Who's he? He sucks!" The scatological reference was added on a Minnesota weekend by a small group of students and the group expanded. I am not in favor of vulgarity and demeaning opponents as a substitute for cheering (y)our team to perform. But I guess that now it is an element of "fan experience".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Northcountry said:

But back then it stopped with "Who's he? He sucks!" The scatological reference was added on a Minnesota weekend by a small group of students and the group expanded. I am not in favor of vulgarity and demeaning opponents as a substitute for cheering (y)our team to perform. But I guess that now it is an element of "fan experience".

By all means feel free to start/suggest some of your own original cheers at the games. I'll wait...

This applies to all sports at UND. Fans whine and complain that the students don't make enough noise... Last I checked your hands clap and your mouth can yell as well. Season ticket holders generally sit with the same people week I'm and week out... Why don't you as a section create a new cheer?

• Upvote 4

It seems Berry has officially dubbed this teams "special" (as per post game interview)/ Have we reached a point where we as fans can take a deep breath and allow ourselves to acknowledge that this is a really good UND team? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Did everyone hear Berry’s post game with Hennessy last night? He sounded very upset over the officiating and some of the cheap hits. I bet he will be making a call to Don Adam. 

I did, and was wondering if there are videos of the hits he's referring to?   First 5 was on the Michaud hit.  5 but not a game?  Didn't see the second one at all, the 5 and a game.   Was Josh Fenton in Kalamazoo this weekend?  Anyone who was there want to comment?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Did everyone hear Berry’s post game with Hennessy last night? He sounded very upset over the officiating and some of the cheap hits. I bet he will be making a call to Don Adam. 

12 minutes ago, hky said:

I did, and was wondering if there are videos of the hits he's referring to?   First 5 was on the Michaud hit.  5 but not a game?  Didn't see the second one at all, the 5 and a game.   Was Josh Fenton in Kalamazoo this weekend?  Anyone who was there want to comment?

Josh Fenton was in Kalamazoo for the series.

1 hour ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I hope those fans who have been very critical of Berry and his staff will now stop to realize that you don't usually take talented freshmen into the NCHC and win a lot of games.  Talent, alone, is not enough. The Hawks lost a lot of seasoned talent off that National Championship team and it wasn't easy to keep the level of play up to the desired standards.  I think the addition of Karl G. has also had a great positive effect on the program.  You might even suggest that the new practice times have been a plus, too.

Berry and Dane and Karl know what needs to be done.  Now that some of the "green" players are more experienced to the UND level of play, I think most people would agree that these guys can coach, if they have the material to get it done.

This team is very special, as Berry has stated.  Who knows where it will all end up, but the ride to get to the goal has been exciting and fun to watch.  I expect that it will continue and we may all be very happy with the final out-come at the end of the season.

These guys can coach.  They have won a National Championship. They have been patient with these young guys and have gotten them to buy into the system and the culture of team first. The handful of fair weather fans who demand change after a down year or 2 are the same ones who blame their kids failures on the coaches, refs or other convenient scapegoats. We have been fortunate to have some outstanding hockey coaches and that includes Hakstol and Berry. The players I have talked to are of the same opinion. They never blamed the lack of championships on the coaches. They accepted the responsibility. Different attitude but the attitude of successful people. 

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

The play on the ice allowed me to do that weeks ago.  :)

Living in the land of sports disappointments (Vikings comes to mind first) it's nice to realize early on you are experiencing something special and are able to enjoy the journey. If we have a dream season I can only imagine what Nashville will be like.