SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

19 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I know this was mentioned but does a player on this roster exist (or incoming) that can take the top off as a receiver?

Current, no. Incoming, we'll see. Izzy was the last one we had but his hands were suspect and his route running wasn’t great. Wheels though in a straight line.

27 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I know this was mentioned but does a player on this roster exist (or incoming) that can take the top off as a receiver?

Kid from AZ sure looks like he can from watching his film. Was hoping Cochern would find a way into this role, but he looks more like a possession/gadet guy

5 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I agree that Otis should have been used more but how long do you think he can sustain being in the backfield 75% of the time?

a long time...feed him!

q needs to gets some reps....tommy either doesn't want to run or just can't ...a mobile qb is almost a must now!  keaton was awesome at running...brockstar probably won the shsu game because of his run...q needs to get in the game.

if maag and richter can't/won't get open...maybe bo is our best wr..smoooooth guy

Anyone else really disappointed in our defense last two games? I thought we gave up too much to WIU, then we just got man handled last week.  Offense made its share of mistakes, but if defense would've kept it closer I think we would've had a chance.  Will say I saw quite a few questionable spots/no calls, but that's through my kelly green glasses and definitely not why we lost.  Let's win the next two and see what unfolds. 

19 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Anyone else really disappointed in our defense last two games? I thought we gave up too much to WIU, then we just got man handled last week.  Offense made its share of mistakes, but if defense would've kept it closer I think we would've had a chance.  Will say I saw quite a few questionable spots/no calls, but that's through my kelly green glasses and definitely not why we lost.  Let's win the next two and see what unfolds. 

I think they played it pretty safe against WIU intentionally so that one doesn't bother me.

Saturday was concerning. Didn't even have to make them one-dimensional, they literally are. I don't think they exposed anything, they just outschemed and outplayed UND and that's a problem. Fixable but better do it real fast. 

Agreed on the reffing, didn't cost UND the game (that'd be the rush defense) but a few of those calls/non-calls/spots definitely made it tougher than it should have been. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I know we have talked about it before and I am told it wouldn’t work but I still think we stick a 300 lb offensive lineman in as nose tackle in the pinch we are in. Most/many of the lineman played offense and defense in high school.

don’t over think it just do it

I think Hergel would be a solid NT but I would guess that we need him more on the o-line

• Upvote 1

I know we have talked about it before and I am told it wouldn’t work but I still think we stick a 300 lb offensive lineman in as nose tackle in the pinch we are in. Most/many of the lineman played offense and defense in high school.

How about Connor Kruse?

• Upvote 1

I wanted Hergel at nose bad. He’s doing pretty well at OG so I’ll let that one slide. Gotta wonder if a guy like Kruse or Trevino or Neustel could plug some gaps.

Otis not getting as many reps as we all want, might be partly because there is another season coming this fall and Bubba wants to somewhat limit his load? Maybe somebody like geaux_sioux who played at this level, can chime in on how hard it will be on their bodies to play a spring season and fall season. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Otis not getting as many reps as we all want, might be partly because there is another season coming this fall and Bubba wants to somewhat limit his load? Maybe somebody like geaux_sioux who played at this level, can chime in on how hard it will be on their bodies to play a spring season and fall season. 

Just look at NDSU, they were sitting veteran players out for the entire spring ball to let them rest and heal after long championship runs every year.

Talked to my old man last night about teams dropping out like Illinois State, and likely more before the end of it all due to nothing to play for in the spring.  

If the shoe was on our foot, and we were 2-3 after getting clobbered by NDSU and had some guys dinged up and were putting the health of Otis, Maag, or Fort at risk in meaningless football games would we be pissed off if Bubba and company called it early?  Not sure how I'd feel about that.  I mean I love watching UND football games, but is a game against (insert whatever valley team) in April worth losing a kid to an ACL for the fall season if we aren't battling for the postseason/national championship?

I don't have the right answer.  Just want whats right for these kids and the program.     

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I wanted Hergel at nose bad. He’s doing pretty well at OG so I’ll let that one slide. Gotta wonder if a guy like Kruse or Trevino or Neustel could plug some gaps.

Doubt an offensive guard on this team would have the tenacity and mindset to do anything measurable on defense. Need to recruit better defensive linemen and keep building the culture. Hate to say it, but the defensive linemen room culture is not where it needs to be yet. Need bigger, nastier guys on the defensive line at UND.

As for Hergel, he’s the exception to this. He is definitely nasty. UND needs 4 more like him on the line and the same mindset on defensive line. Couple times last week Hergel was blocking NDSU defenders into the bench. He has the mindset of a champion. 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

My thought is everyone had the choice months ago to either commit to the entire spring season, or to opt out of the spring season.  To just quit mid season (without a valid team covid crisis) is just pathetic.    

That's my initial thought.  You signed up for football, this is when the season is going to be played and other teams are going through the same thing that you are.  Leaves a black eye that you quit when the gettin wasn't good.  Of course Spack will say its for the benefit of his student athletes to be healthy for the fall, but honestly if they were undefeated we aren't having this conversation.  

My opinion. Don’t play Maag, Otis or Fort and play some other guys who normally don’t play much to give them some experience. Fulfill your commitment to the league and don’t penalize the other teams in league who want to play games and fulfill their commitment to the league. Tacky. Bush. Should be reprimanded by league office. 

32 minutes ago, Dagger said:

My opinion. Don’t play Maag, Otis or Fort and play some other guys who normally don’t play much to give them some experience. Fulfill your commitment to the league and don’t penalize the other teams in league who want to play games and fulfill their commitment to the league. Tacky. Bush. Should be reprimanded by league office. 

Otis and Fort need reps.  Maag needs to step up and become a playmaker instead of 'potential' threat.  I would say rest more OL to develop depth there every 4th series or so.